Development of ArcheAge began sometime in 2006.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Open Letter to ArcheAge's Potential Publishers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators
Hello videogame publishers of America and Europe,

This is the ArcheAge fan community. We're writing to you in the hope that you'll pay attention to us, but we're not placing any bets on that actually happening.

Is that too negative of a thought? Perhaps, but can you blame us? Most of the ArcheAge fan community have been fans of other MMOs published by companies who ignored their opinions and concerns.

The community hivemind has decided that if ArcheAge is to be successful, it'll need to be launched with more finesse than any other MMO in history. Whichever one of you publishers gets the rights to our favorite game is going to need a lot more than luck on your side. You're going to need a miracle.

The ArcheAge fan community is that miracle. (That sounds cheesy as heck but whatever.)

We're here, we're active, and we've been talking about ArcheAge for longer than you publishers even knew it existed (probably). ArcheAge-Online.com got its start in 2010 and the ArcheAgeSource.com forums used be be located there, so this site is technically that old too. We have great people from all over the world participating in our discussions.

Publishers, do you want to make some money? Then get the rights to ArcheAge and then read the rest of this article. It contains the results of a survey that involved a couple thousand of aware, engaged consumers. They want to play ArcheAge, but only if it's launched correctly.

1. Who are the ArcheAge fans? (Who is the target audience/market?)

They're mostly dudes, but there's some ladies in there as well. Most of them are older and poor, but probably pretty smart. They may not have a ton of money to spend on games, so they're selective with their spending. They can also spot a deal from three miles away.

2. Where are the ArcheAge fans?

ArcheAge fans live everywhere! If you have to generalize, there's a ton of 'em in Europe and North America, but don't underestimate the amount of fans in Oceanic regions as well. You'll probably want to have some beefy servers in internet hubs around the world, but not too many so these gamers don't get split up into tiny cliques.

3. What do ArcheAge fans want?

It looks like the ArcheAge community wants as pure and unique a game as they can get. They don't care too much about culturalization/localization. They'd probably take a quick and dirty translation of the game if they could get it, too.

What's more important than explaining a Korean in-joke to Canadians? Getting the game right; getting the content, the combat, and the game systems in working order. It doesn't have to be perfect upon release, but ArcheAge needs to be functional.

4. How much will the market pay for ArcheAge?

Depends on how you sell it. Will you make ArcheAge a subscription MMO? Those don't appear to be doing so hot lately, but maybe you can swing it. Try having a cheaper subscription fee than the competition!

Want to make ArcheAge buy-to-play? Then you might have to offer different tiers of service at different price points (standard boxes, deluxe editions, collector's editions, etc.) and probably also sell expansions.

Thinking about going free-to-play? Not many people in the ArcheAge community seem too excited about that prospect, but you might be able to pull it off if you do it right by only selling cosmetic items. Lots of cosmetic items. Try not to make them too silly, will you?

Here's an idea, though: why choose one? Why not offer all three options? Let people choose how they want to support the game and you'll probably see much higher revenue, just like the Humble Indie Bundle helps indie games' sales explode.

5. When should ArcheAge launch?

Sometime in 2013 would be nice. If you stall too much longer, other MMOs are going to steal ArcheAge's thunder and it's never going to get the chance to shine. Don't waste this opportunity.

What follows is a video I personally recorded a few days ago outlining the exact results of the survey we publicized a few months ago. If you want the full results of the survey for your own research purposes, let me know in the thread below.

I'd like to think this video sounds pretty good, but I doubt it actually does. Hopefully the nice ArcheAge-themed background music makes my monotonous monologue a little bit more listenable. :)

Have any more questions, prospective publishers? Get in contact with us! You can establish private communication with the ArcheAge community by emailing admin@archeage-online.com, or you can publicly post on these forums (and others, of course).

We're patiently waiting, for now.

The ArcheAge Fan Community

JohnnyViscerate

JohnnyViscerate

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Very to the point and well said.

AASIG_zpsef3abc8c.jpg

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

1. Who are the ArcheAge fans? (Who is the target audience/market?)

They're mostly dudes, but there's some ladies in there as well. Most of them are older and poor, but probably pretty smart. They may not have a ton of money to spend on games, so they're selective with their spending. They can also spot a deal from three miles away.

The Girl Fans of Archeage B)

Btw i like the way you wrote the latter, its not the usual type to be too nice to the publishers aka "ass licking technique" and that you are going to them with open mind and real facts, telling to them what we fans really want :)

Fido

Fido

Döner Dönater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
Great article, Mark.
Will share it!

I hope, it´s not too late ^^

Let´s Play Archeage - The German Archeage Video Magazine

The German Archeage Knowledge Base v2.0

The German Archeage Crop Report v2.0

"After resigning NCsoft I just chilled at home and my wife did not like it.
One day she said 'go out and play.' So I founded XLGAMES in order to
escape from the grouchiness of my wife and to separate my gamer life
from my wife. And I played World of Warcraft all day at the office"
- Jake Song

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators
OMG i have completed the survey only 13 times :P, and there were 14 responds from my country... i wont be alone :blink: :lol:

Joking btw, did the survey only once, but the number is still low, and probably it were mostly my friends who done it, when i shared it on FB... MMOs are not that popular here, especially the sub ones, gamers prefer to play FPS games here way more.

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators
Aion had a pretty decent Hungarian community... :(

xDrac

xDrac

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Thanks Mark!
Really cool letter and man, your voice is so chill! xD
Hope people are smart enough to take this at least a LITTLE bit serious...

ArcheAge-Online.de - German Community Staff Member

Graphic- & Webdesign - My Gallery

Barberman

Barberman

Donator

• Members
  • Pip
nice letter Mark, we hope those Publishers read it ....

Posted Image

Sky

Sky

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
nice one.

Hyrule

Hyrule

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Thanks again for all the much wanted info! My favorite was getting to all the results! Most of the answers didn't shock me, but I think many lied about their age (I've seen a good amount of immature trolls on these forums).

Three things:
1. Nice kitty cat home screen icon. I wouldn't expect you to be that type of guy :blink:.

2. Great side comments. ^_^ Enjoyed that aspect of the video the most!

3. You're podcast/narrative videos are simply splendid! You should do them more often with more topics/info. (Maybe some on the front page of Archeage-Online). You have a voice that is enjoyable and easy to listen to. Keep doing what you do, you're good at it.

Now I will stop sounding like a teenage girl rambling over her Twilight idol.

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators
You people make me blush.

EDIT: When do I show my Windows icon?

Yes I like kitties.

Hyrule

Hyrule

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

When do I show my Windows icon?

@22:08

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators
Oh geez, I rewatched the whole thing and didn't even notice that. :(

CyclopsSlayer

CyclopsSlayer

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
You've got some scary stalkers watching your every little move... bwahahahahaha... :D

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators
Aaaaand if the plan with this latter wont turn up to be successful getting a publisher... there is still the a plan "B", which is sending our dear admin right to the publishers:
[Spoilers=Plan "B" ]
Posted Image
Hehe :D
[/Spoilers]

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators
Or making our own publisher. :|

Galadhir

Galadhir

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
I LOVE YOUR VOICE, ADMIN!!!!

Hyrule

Hyrule

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Or making our own publisher. :|

One question... How are you going to be able to publish Archeage on your income? ;)

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators
Kickstarter! :)

I LOVE YOUR VOICE, ADMIN!!!!

Not enough exclamation points.

Hyrule

Hyrule

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
I'll be 'that noob' who puts up a $10,000 donation. ^_^ I be getting a free trip to Admin's house, and better be getting a key and a guest house along with that trip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users