You can switch the forum's foreground color by using the square color palette at the end of the navigation bar above! The default color is #102040.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Open Letter to ArcheAge's Potential Publishers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

Evangelion

Evangelion

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
they could do what NCSoft did early days, make a West Subsidary which will only be the publisher, dunno if thats more expensive but these days any NA publisher will always want to do their stuff in the games...theres no longer a trully publisher company.

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators
XLGAMES could definitely find venture capitalist funding that would let them make their own publisher, but that's all a huge pain in the rear end and they'd rather have someone else already established handle it. If a company doesn't pick up ArcheAge and announce the deal at E3 this year, something is probably wrong and it might be time to start our own crowdfunding initiative.

Miyafuji

Miyafuji

Hidoi !

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip

they could do what NCSoft did early days, make a West Subsidary which will only be the publisher, dunno if thats more expensive but these days any NA publisher will always want to do their stuff in the games...theres no longer a trully publisher company.

No it is actually cheaper in the long run if the game does succeed, as all goes for you. You do not need to share the money earned with some publisher. And the long-run costs are lower. But the initial costs are high. Not issue for NCsoft for example which has a long base dwelling in NA and EU back from L1 days.

But XL ehm.... they have like one game, one shot. If the game is epic win then it will be epic money, if it is epic fail, then they can go bankhrupt from making such a huge investment, and if you just make deal with some publisher, then pulling out does not leave you with offices, infrastructure and workers that did cost you tons of money. You can actually survive it without closing the company (if your FTP game-death time model is greedy enough).

For them to make this situation safe, that would have to be like NCsoft which had 2 blasts and hugely sucessful games, and the rest just snowballs since then, as you have so many popular games, that fail of oneor two games does not bring you down.

Dunno really if they have such high hopes for AA. The gains may be massive but the loses if it fails fatal. And personally I would not turst it. Hehe, I would not, it is still too buggy, too many positional bugs, physic errors, just random stuff that does not work right everywhere. People that play or dwell in to AA too much and too often maybe got used to it and do nto see it. But I do. An time I watch some video its usually like "agh no no... this cannot launch like that". And it cannot or the fail may happen on the Western markets, as the Koreans are kinda used to be just a big betatesters. Yeah you will laugh seeing your ship do crazy stuff, but porting players and positional bugs and physics madness in pvp and sieged will make most of the people ragequit if it is not fixed in like one month.

And if I had to pick an publisher big enough to handle this, I probably would go with NCsoft because they are the least known for gutting the game and damaging them aka "westernization". But they would probably refuse, as they are not a publisher they self publish own games only, or games of the companies that they consumed and now own. And i do nto want that to happen to XL either.... eh.... its hard.

Maple

Maple

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
I've spent thousands of dollars on two games (Dragon Nest, Project Entropia) and hundreds of dollars on others (League of Legends, Lost Saga, Soul Master).

When I spent a lot of money it was because I was in a guild. I wanted social status in-game. ArcheAge is sandbox, just like TheRepopulation, Project Entropia, and Xsyon. If there is a community, then I will dump plenty into cash shop.

Hyrule

Hyrule

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

I've spent thousands of dollars on two games (Dragon Nest, Project Entropia) and hundreds of dollars on others (League of Legends, Lost Saga, Soul Master).

We gotta bad ass over here!

Nah just playin' ;)

But I've never reached over the $500 mark in spending on games (this includes cash shop, subscriptions, etc.)....much less $1000. :l Just can't ever see myself spending that much money on a game... I have real life priorities :wacko:

Nevin

Nevin

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

If a company doesn't pick up ArcheAge and announce the deal at E3 this year, something is probably wrong and it might be time to start our own crowdfunding initiative.

Smart, like the saying goes: hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Inporylem

Inporylem

Donater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Smart, like the saying goes: hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

How the recent games have turned out this is the best set of mind you can have.

Evangelion

Evangelion

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

XLGAMES could definitely find venture capitalist funding that would let them make their own publisher, but that's all a huge pain in the rear end and they'd rather have someone else already established handle it. If a company doesn't pick up ArcheAge and announce the deal at E3 this year, something is probably wrong and it might be time to start our own crowdfunding initiative.

i will glady be the ''good looking guy in front of the cameras''

Miyafuji

Miyafuji

Hidoi !

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip

i will glady be the ''good looking guy in front of the cameras''

No.

Good looking guy not needed. I will do the talking, and thos they shall tramble!

CyclopsSlayer

CyclopsSlayer

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip

No.

Good looking guy not needed. I will do the talking, and thos they shall tramble!

Leave Miya in charge, shortly the venture capitalists will be shackled in line and humming the AA themes all day!
Sadly though, there have been so many MMO misfires lately the investors run screaming when they hear it is 'another MMO'... /sigh

Inporylem

Inporylem

Donater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Leave Miya in charge, shortly the venture capitalists will be shackled in line and humming the AA themes all day!
Sadly though, there have been so many MMO misfires lately the investors run screaming when they hear it is 'another MMO'... /sigh

But the sound of young fanboy is always sweeter.

Slyndria

Slyndria

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Great read OP, very much love what you wrote!

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators

This thread has served its purpose. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users