ArcheAge has had three distinct brand identities, counting the current one.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Battle Pets (wolf CBT5)

Pets animal battle pet attacking pet support

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

Original source: GoHa.ru - Квест на получение волка

Introduction to Battle Pets
Battle Pets or somewhere refered to as Attacking Pets are a fresh experiment in ArcheAge added during CBT5 phase, they weren't present before. In CBT5 we had only one type of Battle Pet available for testing, which was the Wolf.

Battle Pets vs. Mount Pets
Link to the mounts discussion: Mounts and Transportation
Keeping the fact that all the usual mounts can be used as pets for attacking, but they are significantly weaker than the Battle Pets.
Some comparison:

• Mounts can be used as attacking pets too.
  • Battle Pets cant be used as mounts.
  • Both pet types have the same Character Screen and use the same equipment.
  • Both pet types have the same basic controls (skills), while the active skills differ.
  • Mounts can be obtained from a level 5 quest, Battle pets from a level 25 quest.
  • Battle Pet (Wolf) started of as a level 25 pet with 2 active skill and 3 more to be unlocked...

Leveling the Battle Pets:
Battle Pets have their own levels such as the Mounts, and in order to keep them gaining XP, they must be summoned while you are killing the mobs (they are not getting XP when the player turns in quests, nor from gathering or crafting), but you have to be careful and always keep an eye on them since they can die and thus lose XP.

When you notice that its HP is dropping, just unsummon it fast, thats the best solution to keep it alive, and when the danger is over, just resummon it again, the pet will be back with the same amount of HP as it was recalled. If you are unlucky and the mount dyes, you can temporary resurrect it, but it will have only 1 HP and will run 30% slower (im not sure about this in case of battle pets). To "fix" your pet, its needed to bring it to the NPC near the stable, and for a fee (depending on the level of the pet) the NPC will revive your pet. But dont forget stables are only available on the starting continents, on the north continent there are no NPCs to revive your pet, but there is an item that will fix it when it dies, this item can be bought from the stable NPCs, but its not a cheap solution.

When the Battle Pet reaches a certain level, it will unlock new abilities (in CBT5 this happened every 10 levels, from level 25 to level 50).

Gearing Up the Battle Pets
Battle Pets have their own interface screen same one as the Mounts, where you can see your mounts current equipment and stats such as: experience, HP, MP, Physical Defense, Magical Defense, Speed...

They have 3 equipment slots on them (head, saddle, feet) for additional armor which will increase its defense, HP, leggings can give movement speed bonus... Its possible to obtain these armors from the NPCs near the stable, or to craft them.
1a1aba4ec3f4fc9c88e1431392605969.jpg1a1aba4ec3f4fc9c88e1431392605969.jpg
On the left side you can see the Mounts interface screen, and on the right side the Battle Pets interface screen.

Spoiler: NPC shop for pet equipments:

The Battle Pet's Breeding System:
Aka raising the pet, don't worry its a fast process, its just a few quests to get the adult Battle Pet ready for action.

Spoiler: Raising the Wolf step by step

Types of Wolves:
There were 3 types of wolves in CBT5, different only in color (from top to down when choosing the reward at the NPC):
Spoiler: Grey Wolf

Spoiler: Black Wolf

Spoiler: White Wolf

The Battle Pet's Controls and Skill Bar:
The Battle Pets basic control menu is similar to the Mounts menu (except the Mount/Dismount and the Eject Passanger buttons, which are missing):
ee4b4c782fadc8d0909823a7fee198ed.jpg 6c8d40403ce6afc886314d813244b8f1.jpg
Follow Mode: there are 4 options to chose from which to be the active one:

• Aggressive - the mount will attack the enemy if its in close range,
  • Protective - the mount wont engage into combat before the player starts the fight,
  • Neutral - the mount wont attack the enemy no matter what,
  • Stay - the mount will stay put and wont follow you.

Battle Pet Information Window: this opens up the mounts character window.

De-summon Battle Pet: to unsummon the pet, useful command in case the pet is dropping health rapidly and its not in close range to see whats actually going on.

Active skills (bottom row):
The Battle Pet gets them randomly with some rules when the pet "grows up", the first skill is the same with every pet, but the other 4 are randomly given.
1. Blow with his paw - available immediately when getting the pet.
2. One skill from below - available immediately when getting the pet.

• Sprint
  • Treatment (treats himself)

3. One skill from below - requires level 30 Wolf:

• Buff skill - increases the pets attack speed by 30% for 7 seconds
  • Deceleration - when activated the wolf strikes and slows the target down for 4 seconds

4. One skill from below - requires level 40 Wolf:

• Knockdown - deals damage and knocks down the target
  • Bleeding - deals damage and causes bleeding effect on target

5. One skill from below - requires level 50 Wolf:

• Taunt (single target)- monster will attack the target instead of the player
  • Mass Taunt (AOE)- monsters around the wolf will attack it instead of the player

Naming the Battle Pet:
It is possible to name a Battle Pet in Archeage same as it goes for mounts. And its easy, all you have to do is to right click on the pets health bar and chose one of the options (lack of Korean skills to translate them correctly).

Spoiler: Giving a name to a pet

Skills of the Wolf:
AAENBattlePets-vi.jpg
Spoiler: Russian version:

Benefits of a Battle Pet:
The "white" damage done by the wolf are often higher or comparable to the damage what a character at the same level is dealing.

As the wolf is leveling, not just its damage getting increased, but new skills are getting unlocked too. Some of these skills are very useful for some classes, for example the "Bleeding" skill is very useful to put the "bleeding effect" on a target, and than to use skills with your character which deal increased damage if the target is under the "bleeding effect". Same goes for the "Knockdown" skill. the 1st skill in the Fight tree is dealing 90% more damage if the target is under the "knockdown effect".

Taunting can be also useful, especially if you are playing as a supporting class such as healer or buffer. Also comes handy when more mobs are attacking, to separate them.

Problems with a Battle Pet:
Sometimes they act like zombies, they look dumb, but thats acceptable for a CBT phase.
For example they have huge problems with path-finding and getting stuck all the time.

Videos:
Spoiler: Raising the Wolf pet:

Cavarath

Cavarath

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
I really like the pet/mount system in ArcheAge.Only time i have seen those things leveling up to now was in L2.
"Recent results of scientific research have shown that the wish of a person to get a ArcheAge beta key is the bigger the lower the post count." - Veryintelligent Person

CyclopsSlayer

CyclopsSlayer

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Thanks Llexx!

@Cavarath - Yes, I like the mount/pet system as well. Leveling and unlocking skills, make the pets seem more real, and less a generic tool.

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

Finished translating the wolf's skills to English, you can check them above, or in this spoiler:

Spoiler: Wolf's skills in English

I am confused with one thing tho, about the Battle Pet skill levels, when i was translating the guide it was saying that pets are unlocking new skills at every 10 levels (the last skill at level 50), however this picture shows it differently by every 5 levels (the last skill gets unlocked at level 40), but... as i remember from playing in CBT5, to unlock the wolf's last skill it needed to reach level 45... so this is where im getting confused, and i need some help to fix this...

@Cavarath and CyclopsSlayer
I agree with you guys, this new pet system (separated mount and battle pet) looks promising in many ways.

• The pets are not just a decoration like in many MMOs lately.
  • The pets are not so powerful like in Rappelz.
  • The pets are just as strong as they should be like in L2.
  • Leveling the pets is not easy and needs time, thus forcing you to concentrate on 1 type of pet at a time.
  • You will reach level 50 sooner then the pet, by than the pet will be around level 46-48, forcing you to grind some :)
  • Ohhh did i forgot to say, the pets aren't using skills automaticly, you have to click them too as it were your character skills (default its the numpad keys 1-5), in other views this adds +5 skills to your character to use per pet.

I really hope that the devs will prepare for us a huge variety of battle pets to chose from (NPC by quest, rare mob/boss drop, even taming).

Inporylem

Inporylem

Donater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
Looks awesome thanks lexx :) But I demand a battle llama that is rideable!

CyclopsSlayer

CyclopsSlayer

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Giant 20' tall Penguins with electric tentacles anyone?

Seriously though I hope they have a wide variety of pets. You really can't switch back and forth and keep them leveled easily, regardless I would love to see more than just everyone having a wolf. And yes some exotic, rare or drop only ones would be nice.

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

Giant 20' tall Penguins with electric tentacles anyone?

Seriously though I hope they have a wide variety of pets. You really can't switch back and forth and keep them leveled easily, regardless I would love to see more than just everyone having a wolf. And yes some exotic, rare or drop only ones would be nice.

At this point to get a pet to the max level was equal getting your character to the max level, it was easy at first while you had quests for fast leveling, but for example getting a 2nd pet to max level wouldn't be so easy, since there won't be any quests left and have to grind those levels by killing mobs.

Note that pets weren't tradeable, and for me this system sounds the best way to solve it, to make things hard and time consuming and to don't let you to recover easily from your mistakes.

Cavarath

Cavarath

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Wait, what? Not tradeable? That sucks.
"Recent results of scientific research have shown that the wish of a person to get a ArcheAge beta key is the bigger the lower the post count." - Veryintelligent Person

Zil

Zil

Just Do It

• Members
  • PipPipPip

I really like the pet/mount system in ArcheAge.Only time i have seen those things leveling up to now was in L2.

Did you ever try leveling a wolf? They were super weak, they leveled super slow, they had super expensive gear. And it was awesome just like that lol. I'm not sure too, but I think if your wolf died and you didn't rez it in under 15 minutes it perma-died.

Posted Image

Cavarath

Cavarath

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
When i started leveling pets they were stronger than before they also didnt disappear after 15minutes. You had an hour or something at that time. I think i did it in C3. I also did it with a prophet to buff and with two pets at the same time with mobs just a little higher than themselfes. Worked pretty fine.

Noremac

Noremac

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
I really don't want to be a ferre but its going to be hard to pass up on a wolf

SGA

SGA

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

this is exact copy from Silkroad Online

ArcheAge Turkce Fansite - http://aaspot.net

Cavarath

Cavarath

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

this is exact copy from Silkroad Online

Ok so what you are saying is that L2 copied the system from Silkroad online even so L2 had it 2 years earlier? Yeah, makes sense.
Those P2W people...

Entaro

Entaro

Professional Strawberry Thief

• Super Moderators
Excellent work once again Llexx. :D

The wolves are given to you are lvl 25 and start off with the first two skills on the hotbar. I think the different types of wolves may have different skills. The second skill on my wolf had the healing skill, not the quickness skill as shown in your screenshot. The wolves get the rest of the skills at 30, 35, and 40.

At lvl 25 a wolf comes pretty close to being able to solo a mob of equal level but ends up with basically no life left. This makes them add a decent amount of damage to your own and thus help you kill/level/quest faster. Unfortunately, the stat bonuses gained per level on the wolf are the same each level so the wolf gets weaker relative to the mobs of equal level. Bonuses are increased damage and hp/mana.

Gear can be shared between horses and wolves as long as they meet the level requirements. There is gear at lvl 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 and it is reasonably priced. The gear provides increased movement speed (does not increase with level of gear), increased armor and increased hp/mana. So basically, gear just makes your mount more tanky and does not increase the damage it does.

As mentioned earlier, the pathfinding for mounts in CBT5 was completely messed up (it was way better in CBT4), but there were a few things you could do to make things easier. On the left part of the hotbar for the mount there were several different stances you could choose from. The first one (the sword at the top) was an aggressive stance that made the wolf attack any enemy within a certain distance. The second one (person with some stars around them) made the wolf only attack mobs that you attacked first. The third one (the shield) made the wolf only attack mobs that attacked you. The fourth one (a hand) was a hold position command for the wolf.

Zanion

Zanion

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
Thanks a lot ! the article was interesting :) I was wondering though, how does it affect your income/expenses raising a pet ?

Entaro

Entaro

Professional Strawberry Thief

• Super Moderators
It really depends on how often you let it die. If you keep a close eye on your wolf's health you can just unsummon him until the dangerous situation is gone. Otherwise you'll end up paying a lot and spending time to find a stablemaster to resurrect it. If you're efficient with it though it will definitely help you kill mobs faster, thus giving you more income and helping you finish quests faster.

The wolf doesn't take away from your experience points so there's no harm in having them help you out.

Inporylem

Inporylem

Donater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
Hopefully they will fix that wolf summoning though so there will be at least some skill involved using pets :P It's not really ideal of keep unsummoning pets all the time when they are on low health.

Ruse

Ruse

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Did we ever get a glimpse of the cat pet? :)

archeagefurniture.com | furniture gallery, housing guides

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

Did we ever get a glimpse of the cat pet? :)

Sv10M.jpg

Nx53C.jpg

Inporylem

Inporylem

Donater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

I have lots of old guesting vids where I'm using the cat also. This was the first one I found with the cat didn't really watch them through.