Just so you know, AAS = ArcheAgeSource.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Black Desert Online Preview

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
89 replies to this topic

Deity

Deity

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Black Desert Online is an upcoming MMORPG currently in development by a new company called Pearl Abyss. The company is founded by the original producer of Continent of the Ninth, so you guys will be in for a treat when you see the trailer below. The latest trailer showcases Black Desert's very fluid action combat system, amazing scenery, unbelievable PhysX detail, very detailed bosses, and best of all large scale siege battles. I would definitely recommend checking out the latest trailer below, this game looks so awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNtB5DoJ6OI

Pearl Abyss and GameOn Japan signed a publishing contract agreement for this game already. It is still undecided whether or not this game will have it's first test in South Korea or Japan. I believe this publishing agreement was signed because GameOn is the same publisher of Continent of the Ninth for Japan. The Japanese version of C9 is also very popular so this would attract a lot of attention. Pearl Abyss is planning to start their service for this game around the last quarter of 2013.
Developer: Pearl Abyss
Publisher: N/A | GameOn Japan
Game Site: N/A

Reminds me of an open world mabinogi heroes, we will see how it plays out.

Source: http://www.steparu.c...-online-preview

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators
Graphics looks nice... but mostly its cinematic, and from that you can hardly tell how the actual game will look like.
Hope it wont be another C9, because that game is not an MMORPG, more like an MMOAG (MMO Action Game).

Cavarath

Cavarath

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
F2P publisher? Tells me enough to lose any interest.
"Recent results of scientific research have shown that the wish of a person to get a ArcheAge beta key is the bigger the lower the post count." - Veryintelligent Person

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

Here is a summary about the features of BDO (translation not 100% accurate, keep that in mind when reading some odd stuff):

And the structure of the world:

• Plot revolves around the Black Desert and the Kingdom of Khalfeon Valencia.
  • Confrontation is a magical resource "Black Stone", which is a source of energy and that is mined in the desert.
  • The game open seamless world with open dungeons (caves), but the developers promise to add to the game challenging closed dungeons (instances) for solo, party and raid groups.
  • Each property has its own physical space (not an instance, like in AA).

World map and a brief description of it:
1b998c3c74526ef7394d78643f65bbc3.jpg

• The picture above shows the world of Black Desert. Colorful area called Balenos. Below the Balenos is a territory called Serendia, and on the right you can see a large area Calpheon.
  • All three zones are located near the sea, so there are a large number of mountains and forests. If you go to the south, the weather turns colder and warmer in the north.
  • If you look to the right side, then your eyes gaze at the huge desert areas.

Races and classes:

• The game has a different kind of race of giants, hobbits, elves, dwarves and humans;
  • For each race is not yet invented special skills.
  • Player classes: fighter, ranger, sorcerer, beast and tamer (name not finalized) and is working on new.
  • Developers are considering a class system based on sex.

Combat system:

• Style battle system in action.
  • Non-target with an active block and dodge.
  • Advanced system of riding and fighting (the developers looked for Red Dead Redemption).

PVP and siege:

• The game will be a large-scale strategic siege using siege equipment, ladders, etc.
  • Developers are not going to set a limit on the number of participants in the siege (the other information is up to 400).
  • The game will be an advanced system of siege weapons: a gun, you must first charge the kernel, roll into position, aim, set the trajectory of the projectile and the like.
  • PK will be, but the details are still under discussion.
  • The player will drop items, but this does not apply to all type of items.
  • Player can not "Resurrect" in place of death.

Weapons and equipment:

• Will be items that are cosmetic only play a role.

Real estate, trade and production of:

• Players are allowed to acquire thousands of objects in the game world like mansions, warehouses, factories, vegetable beds, where they can live, conduct production and trade.
  • Players will be able to harvest, mine, and get special products in each village.
  • Each region has its own unique products.
  • The game will be an advanced trading system and in some cases, players will receive a profit or incur losses from volatility in market prices.
  • NPC will take part in trade and production (the player will be able to establish friendly relations and to hire them).
  • Players will need to craft a house.
  • Crafting process is not too difficult, but will need to produce armor very rare materials, which are very difficult to obtain.
  • BDO is in-system ownership and management of real estate.
  • Construction homes are not planned, but players will be able to set up the tents.

Guild:

• Guild system will be implemented through the hiring and hired workers will be able to perform different jobs (for example, work on the farm).
  • Each player during the study of the world game will receive "explore point" for the discovery of new places, completing quests, killing special monsters, etc., which will then invest "explore nodes", which will give different benefits depending on the area.
  • When joining the guild, these "explore nodes", belonging to players, will dock, which will determine the area of ​​activity (approx. Mel: influence?) Guild.
  • Guild may become bankrupt.

Terms and technical details:

• A full-scale development is 1 year and 8 months.
  • The game employs about 50 people.
  • Percentages-game ~ 65% (already implemented a siege and class skills), now developers are busy and-game content.
  • Indicative-term release of the game - the end of 2013.
  • The first beta may be held in the first half of 2013.
  • Development-led MMO industry veteran Kim Deil, creator RYL (Risk Your Life), R2 (Reign of Revolution) and C9 (Continent of the Ninth), issued by Hangame Korea.
  • BDO uses the engine of its own.
  • Game site will be closer to the beta.

Source: Goha.ru

Amaterasu

Amaterasu

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

• Developers are considering a class system based on sex, but until I finally decided on this point.

*Gender? :D
The game in itself look very interesting but I'm afraid they will follow the path of C9 and have these "locked" classes with very few ways to create an original build. Kinda kills the rpg aspect of it when every mages, for example, have the exact same skills as any other mage.

Zil

Zil

Just Do It

• Members
  • PipPipPip

*Gender? :D
The game in itself look very interesting but I'm afraid they will follow the path of C9 and have these "locked" classes with very few ways to create an original build. Kinda kills the rpg aspect of it when every mages, for example, have the exact same skills as any other mage.

Sex-based class abilities. Sounds like a win to me.

Posted Image

Eligor

Eligor

Has no idea who Miura is...

• Super Moderators
Sounds like Pre-CBT4 Archeage meets TERA. Not a bad trailer but I'm iffy about it till some more info comes out, and maybe this time it won't go super casual-ish.
Let's all pretend there's something really important written here...

Haydyn

Haydyn

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
I'm actually very excited for this game, almost as much as Archeage. From what little information is gathered out there, there will be some big constraints on how the PK system works, to a level that will greatly decrease griefing... Sounds good, but won't really know just how well that is executed until they elaborate on that. I actually am very fond of the Housing Idea and am very curious as to just how they plan to implement it and can't wait to hear more about it.

It sounds to me that like this game is going to be sort of like Fable in MMO form. All houses can be purchased and owned, but no cities can be built anywhere by players. I'm okay with that considering, it'll keep a lot of activity in towns, and not detract from the beauty of the world. I am first and foremost an RP'er, and though fundamentally the more sandbox a game is, the greater the possibilities are for role play, it usually doesn't work out that way. The formula usually ends up being More Sandbox = More Griefing = Less RP.

Thats not to say that RP can't be done, in games like Archeage... but it is without a doubt a big deterrent for players who look for a game to RP into. Its why games like LOTRO and SWTOR and even WoW had a huge RP community, and games like Darkfall, EVE, Mortal Online, have very tiny RP communities. But a game like this, if done properly might be the perfect inbetween of sandbox and themepark, that player politics and communities can coexist in an already largely developed world.

Again, this is kinda moot until we know just what the details are on the player owned establishments are, and the PK system. I for one will be keeping my eyes on this.

Posted Image

Come tell your tale!

We have stories, we have ale!

Amaterasu

Amaterasu

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
http://www.facebook....ss.Black.Desert

Haydyn

Haydyn

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
http://translate.goo...907090/&act=url

Based on what I could piece together from Google-Translate (which we know how well Google Translates Korean! /sarcasm), this is all the news I could figure out from this interview. I can not determine if the developer being interviewed is actually the lead developer from the Korean team, or if it is the lead developer from the Japanese Company that has signed a contract for publishing and localization in Japan. Kim seems to be a common Korean name though, so I will assume it is one of the head developers from PearlAbyss.

Combat:

I'm not 100% sure on this, but from what I tried to piece together it sounds like there may be an implication of use for each hand as far as basic attacks go. (Such as attack on one mouse button, and a shield block with the other mouse button as an example akin to Skyrim) There will be special skills on a hotbar just like any other MMO which is to be expected that will allow people to use special abilities with the numerical keys. Stamina also is supposed to play a part in the system. Interestingly enough, some of the words that translated on the webpage of different abilities (generalized as pertaining to a warrior, not sure if they're things that might be implemented for other classes as well), were things such as Kick, Block, Grab, Shield, and Attack. Kim says that he wants attacks to feel powerful, and that combat should have a realistic feel to it. I'm hoping that this means that it will be less button mashing, but using timing, and exploiting openings in your opponents defense as a means to fight rather than, hack and slash until one persons health runs out. If this is the case, the combat in this game has the potential to be completely amazing.

Economy / Political / Housing

While it wasn't described in detail how each system works, Kim said that players will be able to purchase and own most real estate in the game world, from farms, to mines, lumber mills, etc. etc. You can work these locations manually, or when you acquire enough income, you can hire NPCs to work your property and establishments. There was no mention as to what limits a player may have such as how much real estate one player can own. A particularly interesting part of this discussion was the brief mentioning of economy and sieges. Specifically he spoke on raising taxes and regional exports to help fund any war efforts. This largely implies that there is most likely going to be some sort of political system in place. As they mentioned that there are two factions, and the map is divided up by multiple regions, this indicates that the political system most likely operates on a typical medieval Fief/vassal and Lord system. Each Region is specified to have one keep governing that region, and it has resources and exports that are specific to that region. This fuels the importance of trade between players, and an active economy... and of course, War. While players are unable to build cities, it was said, "players can purchase houses, real estate, and businesses within the cities." It makes it elusive on just what properties can be purchased or how many there are per a city, but I'm kind of imagining in my mind, a Fable-esque real estate system, where all houses/shops may be accessible, and can be purchased by players. NPCs will play a big role in the game, you can hire them to acquire resources from farms, mines, lumber mills you own, or set up shops and hubs of trade with them. As the siege test was done with "NPC" mercs, 40 per a developer (10 developers versus 10 developers and about 400 soldiers per a side total), it leaves me to assume that you can hire NPCs as guards or travel companions. There is no word on what the limit might be, but it might be cool if your a rich lord who's got the money to back it up, to hire a little personal army.

Siege Warfare / PvP

In the video shown at the signing ceremony, it was said that there were ten developers in the siege combat per each side, with 40 NPC mercenaries each making a total of 400v400. Currently, they are saying they do not want to make a limit on how many people can participate on a siege. They're were running at about 20 FPS when running 400v400 at high spec, and most likely running on High End machines. Their aim is to make it very smooth and offer many levels of detail, and this is specifically why they decided to build their own engine. There are several regions in the game, and one keep governing that region. You are able to attack the gates, tear down the walls with artillery, or alternatively you can scale the walls with ladders and siege equipment.

There are at this time a total of five classes. Though the exact names I can not confirm, the translated words imply that they will be as follows:

Knight - Sword and Shield Class, and probably the main Tank class.
Archer / Ranger / Hunter (Or as translated: Elf) - type class for ranged damage.
Sorcerer - Supposed to have both ranged and close distance magical attacks.
Tamar - Supposed to be something related to animals, and it is said to fight alongside your pet. (I'd guess between some sort of Feral/Ranger/Druid type class.)
Giant - The big guy with the two axes, and most assuredly your Melee DPS class.

There is absolutely no confirmation if any of the classes will be gender or race specific.

It was also confirmed by the developers that this game is infact, in their own words, intended to be a sandbox, and based on what we know about the economy/political/war/real estate I'd say even though you might not be able to build your cities, this is shaping up to be just that indeed. It seems like it will be a very politically motivated game with an equal emphasis on crafting/economy as much, (and Kim himself said he did not want to make the action the primary focus) if not more so than a war game.

Having read the bits and pieces and placing the puzzle pieces together I am now much more interested in this game than first glance. Its definately going to be worth keeping an eye on.

BETA

They are aiming for 1st Quarter 2013 for closed beta testing, and are hoping to go to Open Beta by August or September of 2013. They mention that at this time, they are about 65% through production, and most of the main features and functionality are done.

Posted Image

Come tell your tale!

We have stories, we have ale!

Evangelion

Evangelion

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
need to play it first to give an opinion, cinematics are always biassed

Inporylem

Inporylem

Donater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
This is one of the Korean games that might be awesome. Lets see and wait for the betas :P

Mottatoni

Mottatoni

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Just check this out and say what do u think :)

Drul

Drul

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
If that will be p2p or have separate p2p servers (not freemium sub crap), then yeah I am very interested.
If it will be microtransaction based model then I am not interested.

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

If that will be p2p or have separate p2p servers (not freemium sub crap), then yeah I am very interested.

Already confirmed that its gonna be F2P...

Drul

Drul

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Already confirmed that its gonna be F2P...

meh, must have missed this info. Thanks for providing it.

Damn shame game looked really good.

I am first and foremost an RP'er, and though fundamentally the more sandbox a game is, the greater the possibilities are for role play, it usually doesn't work out that way. The formula usually ends up being More Sandbox = More Griefing = Less RP.

Thats not to say that RP can't be done, in games like Archeage... but it is without a doubt a big deterrent for players who look for a game to RP into. Its why games like LOTRO and SWTOR and even WoW had a huge RP community, and games like Darkfall, EVE, Mortal Online, have very tiny RP communities.

UO and SWG were sandboxes and had big RP communities. It is not about sandbox vs themepark. It is about pvp and how it is done. UO was basically argueably first mmorpg so initially it had rp community because of that, later on those RP'ers that could not handle ffa full loot pvp were given Trammel and then went there. SWG had huge amount of rp'ers but their pvp was constructed so there was no super amount of ganking afaik.

DFO, MO and partially EvE are diffrent kind of sandboxes so cannot really be compared and said that all sandboxes does not have rp. There were sandboxes that had huge rp communities. DFO in example is just one huge deatchmatch and alot of their community is more interested in example Planetside 2 which is just mmofps than other mmorpg, so no wonder that rp there is almost non-existant.

Skeptical

Skeptical

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
It is being released by free-to-play publishers in Japan and Korea, but no NA/EU publishers have been chosen yet. The developers, Pearl Abyss, have stated quite a few times that f2p/p2p decision is up to the individual publishers:

Juan Carlos Pena: This game will be Pay to Play? :D

Pearl Abyss: Well, It's up to our (future) publisher's policy.

Source: Pearl Abyss Official Facebook.
https://www.facebook...489184627770266

Drul

Drul

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Yeah, but seeing how western mmorpg market looks like it is extemly doubtful that anyone will pay for creating p2p version of the game for any of this markets, so it will come there as f2p / freemium. Of course If that happens I will give it a shot, but until then I am scratching BD from my extremly short 'possible future mmorpg' list.

Inporylem

Inporylem

Donater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

UO and SWG were sandboxes and had big RP communities. It is not about sandbox vs themepark. It is about pvp and how it is done. UO was basically argueably first mmorpg so initially it had rp community because of that, later on those RP'ers that could not handle ffa full loot pvp were given Trammel and then went there. SWG had huge amount of rp'ers but their pvp was constructed so there was no super amount of ganking afaik.

I'm still waiting to play a game such as UO once again in my life but It's doubful to ever happen. Doesn't matter how sandbox aa is it will never get close to that feeling that UO had when running around alone in the huge world and getting pk'ed by a dragon tamer. Why do they always have to use the same gear grinding style in the background :/. I loved the early patches of uo when there was completely no gear you could achieve better than your opponent could. You bought your armors from vendors or crafted them. Now you can't find a fair pvp doesn't matter how hard you look it's all about having a advantage towards your opponent. /offtopic

Maple

Maple

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
Definitely following this. Maybe it will come to North America in late 2014 (lol)!