ArcheAge-Online.com was the first ArcheAge fansite in the world.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

After playing ArcheAge what are your thoughts?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

PsychoPigeon

PsychoPigeon

Professional Exaggerator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
So this new MMORPG, what's going through your head? Same feeling as playing other games in their early stages or something different this time around?

Personally for me, ArcheAge is as close to what I want in an MMORPG that I'm going to get any time soon so I'm quite satisfied. It's got replayability, leveling is fast so you can enjoy a variety of classes without having to invest as much time in monotonous leveling and focus more time on crafting, exploring and doing things with the guild. Last night there were about 10 of us transporting resources across the map. Traveling over land, through the rivers and then onto the open ocean, not knowing what we might encounter. We got to the island which was our destination and found enemy and friendly players who wanted to attack us, but luckily our group fended them off. It's these kind of experiences that you don't really get in a lot of MMOs because there's little reason to travel across the entire map.

I like how a lot of the land is used up, places you think you'll never see again while being a low level, you then find yourself setting up a farm in an old questing spot. The entire world has a purpose. It's not a shallow experience, and obviously the further inland you have your resources the less trouble you'll receive from players crossing over from the other continent - but - you'll have more distance to travel carrying resources. There's also another benefit to exploring the world, trying to find those hard-to-locate places to grow a huge forest and hope nobody notices.

What do you think?

-FP

-FP

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
For me the quests are so boring and lame, but indeed the rest of the stuff the game has, clearly compensates for that, so I don't really care about the quests.

But still... I remember picking a quest and I had to... literally... "pick a flower behind the quest giver". Quest ended lol :P

Fido

Fido

Döner Dönater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
CasualAge - take it or leave it.

I don´t think "hardcore" players will have fun in the game - except they like massive pvp battles and castle sieges, i think the "end game pvp" on the northern continent will be very competitive.
The casual players, especially the explorers, will LOVE this game.

Let´s Play Archeage - The German Archeage Video Magazine

The German Archeage Knowledge Base v2.0

The German Archeage Crop Report v2.0

"After resigning NCsoft I just chilled at home and my wife did not like it.
One day she said 'go out and play.' So I founded XLGAMES in order to
escape from the grouchiness of my wife and to separate my gamer life
from my wife. And I played World of Warcraft all day at the office"
- Jake Song

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators
That was probably the game designers trying to teach new players to be aware of their surroundings and try to interact with the world.

I agree the questing is boring, but I view it as mainly a way to access the lore of the game and to level up without only grinding.

I don´t think "hardcore" players will have fun in the game - except they like massive pvp battles and castle sieges, i think the "end game pvp" on the northern continent will be very competitive.

So the GoHa.RU players are going to be unhappy? This may or may not be a bad thing.

Fido

Fido

Döner Dönater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
Russian players got nearly everything the game is offering atm, lots of trade ships and warships, tons of materials and houses. They are preparing for taking over the northern continent on their server. Their game is about power and taking over everything.
We should watch Server 9 ^^

- Jake Song

PsychoPigeon

PsychoPigeon

Professional Exaggerator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Depends what you mean by 'hardcore'. I view ArcheAge similar to Darkfall in the sense once leveling is out of the way you have the open world to do what you will. Whether it's take territory, craft, build, farm, siege or gank, kill world bosses or go to war with other guilds, create your own faction and anything else I haven't mentioned.

As Admin mentions, leveling is just an introduction really plus it guides you round the world and gets you familiar with what's going on.

Mottatoni

Mottatoni

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

I agree,end game will be awesome but I think this game is for Hardcore players.Because there are armor and territory content.

If you are a hardcore gamer,you will have some advantages.

I played wow,swtor,rift + storm legion,gw2,ultima,ko,silkroad and I can clearly say that ArcheAge is more hardcore than the others.

If you are casual and you If u love exploring Guild Wars 2 is the best game for you not ArcheAge because I think when you reach end-game PvP,hardcore players will crush the casuals ^^

Fido

Fido

Döner Dönater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

If you are casual and you If u love exploring Guild Wars 2 is the best game for you not ArcheAge because I think when you reach end-game PvP,hardcore players will crush the casuals ^^

Well, you can stay in the starting regions, create your own little farm and enjoy some safe farming and gaming.
That´s not my playstyle, but i think there are many people who will like this :)

- Jake Song

Mottatoni

Mottatoni

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Well, you can stay in the starting regions, create your own little farm and enjoy some safe farming and gaming.
That´s not my playstyle, but i think there are many people who will like this :)

Definitely,I agree with you.I was trying to say hardcore players will love this game too (4 example me) ^_^

Evangelion

Evangelion

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
i guess by casualage he means some stuff are just very easy and fast to get.

Because if hardcore means killing one billion mobs in the same place for the eternity like Lineage II...then no is not hardcore game.

I found this game, the mmorpg i want to play, i liked everything so far, even when i got ganked by 30 koreans.

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

Yes, those who don't like PvP and love AA for its PvE content like the building and farming, they can make homes safety at those non PvP areas.

But the endgame is for hardcore players with that territory control, will give back some nice L2 memories :)

A game which has content for both type of players, its unusual indeed.

Gavax

Gavax

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
i hope it wont be too hardcore, because i dont have much time to play lulz

Miyafuji

Miyafuji

Hidoi !

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
Well when I still got the chance to play, which ended like 3 days ago, I was never able to get to the kinda endgame areas, the 3rd continent so I cannot talk much about that.

What I would like to address is I think that's its too small. They opened too many areas on the main continents and too few on the 3rd. Yeah the competition will be fierce, but the way I see it it is too few stuff for too many players right now even for my taste. + The hideous player number limitations on sieges, thus making it that most of the people will be unable to participate anyway, and being unable to participate is a bad thing. There will be hardcore guilds which is not necessarily a bad thing, but with systems like these, you cannot do anything against it. In L2 when there was a hardcore clan and they did horrendous stuff, they became kinda hated and you formed massive army and just crushed them. Here you cannot, as the numbers are limited, so it will be not political, but elitist play. Aka who can gather the best players around no matter any other aspects. I do not like that, cause it excludes my any kind of involvement. There is also no 3rd side interference. You cannot march in and influence the battle while not being official owner nor attacker, it will just not let you.

The other 2 things I dislike is.

- Leveling. No, no, questhubs geez... from quest-hub to quest-hub, why... I would start tearing my hairs out pretty soon if the game was not as beautiful as it is and that sole reason makes me enjoy doing it and forget the fact that Im being pushed to quest-chain that I do not want to do.

Yes off course there are alternative ways to level, you gain exp for mining, harvesting, etc. You can even grind your way trough, but it is all so bloody inefficient compared to those quests that none will ever do it.

- Crafting system. Crafting system should be like this - you get recipe, you get materials, you craft trough it and that's it. Simply you craft what you want when you want, where you want. Alternative way would be making crafting as a profession so only some people that focus on that will be able to do that. I'm very displeased that the way to actually to get to the crafting itself, you need to complete yet another crafting questchain, where you have to craft stuff you do not want to please some NPC's, and then use the stuff + some materials to make another one over and over. Thats.... not how I would like to do it. Its another non-free handheld content.

But except this yep, satisfied so far. But I was not able to touch the best stuff even remotely.

PsychoPigeon

PsychoPigeon

Professional Exaggerator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Well it prevents zerging yes, but most importantly it allows for a smooth siege. I took part in L2, Archlord, AoC and Aion sieges and by far the most fun was AoC because it had a limited amount of players and I could actually enjoy it. The others were so laggy it was just dire because anyone could just turn up and spam their attacks.

I don't know exactly what you're asking for, a 3rd team to help the attackers or defenders? Isn't that deciding who wins the battle as the chances are you cannot win against 2:1. Why stop there, why not a 4th team? 5th? Where does it end? I don't think you need that many players to enjoy a siege.

As for more castles, they'll come in due time. Meanwhile there is territory all over the world to fight for not just castles

Drul

Drul

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
My thoughts. I am too early in character advancement and game itself to really have an valid opinion.
For now, I like what I see. I am not amazed, not thrilled, but I am catiously satisfied. Technical complexity of quests is usually bad, but I was ready for that. ICannot say anything about quest stories obviously.

Anyway - open seamless for most part world, refreshing lack of cross-server things, huge instance focuses, gazzilions of achivements and other trash + some consequences, focus on server = separate world and pay2pay in microtransaction age - those are good enough for saying that AA has potential to be mmorpg I can get into. Of course until I play it for few weeks I cannot be sure.

Hate stupid agroo type though. 4 bandits stay near each other like less than a meter from each other and they "see" each other , I can shoot one with bow and only this one will come. *sigh*

I usually love exploring, but Guild Wars 2 bored me to tears. Definately NOT good game for similar type of explorers like me. Exploring at GW2 was sooo structured, maps completing (wtf ?like platform single player game), pre-shown points of interest (hey look something interesting here - kinda opposite of exploring for me), all this points, achievements, blegh

Definately NOT good exploring game for me. Exploring for me is all about unknown, effort and surprise. That miss from GW2. GW2 exploring felt like in arcade maps completiing in single arcade games.

Miyafuji

Miyafuji

Hidoi !

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
I want everyone who I can find to joing me or against me in the battle. With their different interests, goals, alliances, whatever. I just want them to be able and come, and do their part, and in the process have their fun.

Zerging is better then limitations and preventing players to participate. There are zerg battles in AA already and they work just fine. (except the mounts, I would think of some way how to get them out of the battle. Cause it is horses only and I see nothing else, at least on the videos.

What I wants is 3 factors to decide about battle, just as it was in L2.

1. Politics.
2. Organization.
3. Power of the people present.

With limitations you exclude points 1 and 2. It will be just about how much OC classes equip or setup have those people that are allowed it. What I want are sieges like they were in L2, except the custom sandbox element stuff AA allows us to do added on to it. As it stands now I will never see any siege other then from youtube videos, which hurts a bit.

Edit: To GW2: There is nothing, I repeat nothing, the game has to offer compared to AA. There is not single thing it has done better. It is forgotten and I will never play that again. It cannot be compared. It is like .... no... just not....

arbacus

arbacus

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
ill put it this way playing archeage's combat system for ~20-40 hours of pvp time and im going to have to say im dissapointed skill cap seemed low fights felt all too similar too eachother they didnt feel right something was wrong with the animatinos/skills used by players it just was too easy i cant see any endgame workign with a combat system like this they will really have to stretch the endagme out of the seige system(machines/structures).

actually i was torn away back to Tera and missing the better combat system was a leading factor tho i wish tera had aa's open world population and open world usable machines like glider/ships etc.

Inporylem

Inporylem

Donater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
Just stole 400 plants and Korean guy helped me to escape the prison, yes I'm loving aa.

Miyafuji

Miyafuji

Hidoi !

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip

ill put it this way playing archeage's combat system for ~20-40 hours of pvp time and im going to have to say im dissapointed skill cap seemed low fights felt all too similar too eachother they didnt feel right something was wrong with the animatinos/skills used by players it just was too easy i cant see any endgame workign with a combat system like this they will really have to stretch the endagme out of the seige system(machines/structures).

actually i was torn away back to Tera and missing the better combat system was a leading factor tho i wish tera had aa's open world population and open world usable machines like glider/ships etc.

Be careful about Tera combat system. It looks nice in PVE, but it is poor in PVP. In bigger pvp nukers decide the match, in smaller PVP positional/colision bugs decide it. I was getting constantly infuriated in Tera by plaers charging at me or using some skill that made them visually stand in front of me but in reality they went trough, so i could not see their real position, and it too forever for the game to sync it, thus most of my attacks went completely elsewhere, and the same happened to my foes as well off course. Once I mastered the combat to get to like top 10% I was just constantly infuriated by how gear based an luck/bug/positional error based the combat was. AA seems clunky and kinda slow, but.... so far I never encountered any breaking bugs that would infuriate me.

I saw lot of them on the early videos, but when I play, it does not seem to be there anymore, at least for me.

AA PVP system is optimized for mass pvp, big groups, and skill-chains or multipilers. For example you need to hit with your spell some effect that other spell of other player affects the enemy for 3 seconds for example. You hit that = additional debuff effect and double the damage for example. SO when people learn to play at higher levels, they will pvp that way. The game will never be fluid or balanced in 1v1 or 2v2 for example. Thats not gonna happen.

Gavax

Gavax

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
there is too many pk's and thiefs?