Development of ArcheAge began sometime in 2006.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Jake answers your questions!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators
Do you guys remember the "If you could ask Jake Song one question..." thread? It's alright if you don't. It's a month old now and a lot of new members have joined our ranks in the weeks since the thread was started. Here's the basics: we compiled a list of questions that the community wanted answers to and mailed them off to XLGames in the hopes that someone at the company would have the time to answer them in between ArcheAge's second closed beta and G-Star 2010.

Well guess what? XLGames did more than just answer the questions we sent, they got Jake Song himself to do it for us! He was able to spare some time to respond to our list, just like he did for Massively a while back. Is this awesome or what? Just goes to show you guys that if you try hard enough, almost anything is possible!

Without further ado, here's the questions and answers. Remember, everything Jake says is not set in stone or final. There are months of development left for ArcheAge and Jake's stance on many of the more controversial topics, such as death penalties, could change in a split second. If you don't agree with some of these answers, don't give up on ArcheAge.

Posted Image

Will there be different server types available? PvP servers with loot on death, PvE servers with PK disabled, for example.

Yes. It is not final yet, but we plan to have different types of servers. For example, there will be a PvP server where you can even PK characters of your own faction or alliance and a separate server where you can only PK those of the opposing sides.

What are the penalties for dying? (Experience, money, debuff, and so on.)

We do not want to make the penalty too harsh. As of now, we are considering temporary debuff.

How extensive will ArcheAge's character customization be? Extremely detailed sculpting?

Based on the current system, it will be difficult to allow users to freely change the shape of the face or the body. For now, we plan to offer preset faces. Also, users will be able to add and freely place, tattoos, make-ups, and scars. We are considering whether to allow users to upload their own customized tattoos, but it may not be realized due to various issues.

Is there a possibility that groups can be larger? (Like Alliances in Aion.)

Parties currently consist of 5 people, but as we will provide raids and castle sieges, there will be support for much larger groups.

Will relationships be available in-game? Marriage, kings and queens, etc.

We plan to implement a marriage system. Besides marriage, we also plan to implement an adopting system for users to create a family relationship.

There's lots of food in ArcheAge, but can any of it go bad (rot) and make players sick?

It was not included in our design, but I think it is a good idea. We will try to implement it.

Regarding ArcheAge's art style: is it thoroughly medieval or will there be some "steampunk" elements?

Maybe not so “steampunk”, but we do have plans to use Renaissance visual styles in some parts.

Are negotiations already underway to determine who will publish ArcheAge in North America and Europe?

We have not yet initiated any discussions.

Jake, how do you get your hair to look so fabulous? ;)

Hmm.. My hair is getting curlier these days. I think it’s because I don't comb often. =)

Did you guys find this question and answer session satisfying? In the future we may have the chance to do this again, but in the meantime please enjoy discussing the topics mentioned above in a civilized fashion on these forums. Be on your best behavior! People are watching what you say. ;)

Also, you can follow Jake Song on twitter if you wish. Here's his page: @appledelhi

Finally, congratulations ArcheAge fans! You've made yourselves heard and the future is bright. Keep up the good work!

Shinaji

Shinaji

The Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
I'm pretty happy with the answers so far considering the current state of development.
I might have missed it I'll search around but what is known about the factions he mentioned.
I'm not too fond of factions, they require large scale co-operation which the current market can't seem to do in this region.
Curious though.

That's it I'm not combing my hair.
I'd probably just end up wiht Dreadlocks though. :(
"As instanced dungeons became popular, the whole world of MMORPGs became an entrance lobby to instanced dungeons. In my opinion, today’s MMORPGs are like theme parks – guaranteed fun with limited choices." ~ Jake Song

“Great ideas are often opposed by violent reactions of mediocre minds.” ~ Albert Einstein

Posted Image

ohiojosh78

ohiojosh78

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Gratz on whoever gave him the idea for rotting food

willydarko

willydarko

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
I am so impressed with the fact he took some time out to answer a few questions, that really is fantastic. And ArcheAdmin will their be another thread created that allows us to ask certain questions that will be submitted? It's unlikely he can answer a 1000 questions but maybe if everyone pools together their ideas again and everyone agrees on the ones they would like answered most...like a top 10 or 20?!?!?!

Eligor

Eligor

Has no idea who Miura is...

• Super Moderators
Few ideas on the that, willy...

We could actually try to come up with some CREATIVE suggestions on the game, since it's still under heavy development we could try to pitch in.

Also,another round of questions after xmas, maybe?
Let's all pretend there's something really important written here...

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators
Yep, I'll start another thread sometime for people to submit new questions or suggestions. Probably not again this month, though. Got other things to do, Christmas-themed things... ;)

Eligor

Eligor

• Super Moderators
Home cooking class, hey?!

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators

Home cooking class, hey?!

More like ornament painting... ;)

Eligor

Eligor

• Super Moderators
So... making lil stuffed santas?

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators
Nope, you guys will see soon enough. :)

Synner

Synner

Skipper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
i cant belive he answered my hair question... he's so awesome. he just made a customer. lol.
Posted Image

Eligor

Eligor

• Super Moderators
Well, atleast we know he ain't as snobbish as some other devs.

ZoKy

ZoKy

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Should wait until we get some new info after CBT3 with sending new letter with questions.

And about christmas-themed things, try somethig like making xmass tree in origami :D

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators
Would you guys be annoyed if I sent out a mass email about this news article? I know I've been sending a lot of them out lately.

Jen

Jen

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
'Based on the current system, it will be difficult to allow users to freely change the shape of the face or the body. For now, we plan to offer preset faces. Also, users will be able to add and freely place, tattoos, make-ups, and scars. We are considering whether to allow users to upload their own customized tattoos, but it may not be realized due to various issues'

This is seriously bad news for me... probably a game breaker. That may seem like an extreme reaction so early in the games development, but the immersion element is ruined for me when I have to run around a game looking at hundreds of clones of myself, all sporting the same pre-set face, like Warhammer or WOW. This kind of limitation in character customisation just isn't good enough any more - a hallmark of MMO's that are years old now, or that just lack invention.

I look at the awesome videos for Arche Age and it seems like a next generation game... totally gorgeous to look at - Then I read this interview - very disappointing, and simply not good enough for a modern MMO. The game designers should set their sights much higher - look at the character customisation in Aion, APB (admittedly, the only good thing about it) and even the new CC planned for Eve Online, which looks fantastic.

Have they mentioned Armour customisation any where yet?

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators

'Based on the current system, it will be difficult to allow users to freely change the shape of the face or the body. For now, we plan to offer preset faces. Also, users will be able to add and freely place, tattoos, make-ups, and scars. We are considering whether to allow users to upload their own customized tattoos, but it may not be realized due to various issues'

This is seriously bad news for me... probably a game breaker. That may seem like an extreme reaction so early in the games development, but the immersion element is ruined for me when I have to run around a game looking at hundreds of clones of myself, all sporting the same pre-set face, like Warhammer or WOW. This kind of limitation in character customisation just isn't good enough any more - a hallmark of MMO's that are years old now, or that just lack invention.

I look at the awesome videos for Arche Age and it seems like a next generation game... totally gorgeous to look at - Then I read this interview - very disappointing, and simply not good enough for a modern MMO. The game designers should set their sights much higher - look at the character customisation in Aion, APB (admittedly, the only good thing about it) and even the new CC planned for Eve Online, which looks fantastic.

Remember, everything Jake says is not set in stone or final. There are months of development left for ArcheAge and Jake's stance on many of the more controversial topics, such as death penalties, could change in a split second. If you don't agree with some of these answers, don't give up on ArcheAge.

Dxx

Dxx

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip

This game is about interaction between players, this game is supposed to have an open world. If AA had the same char customization than Aion then it would just be a pain to mass PvP, a pain to kill a world boss with more than 80 players; especially knowing that its not supposed to have any instances or anything of the sort. And I think the sacrifice is worth it. However I do hope customisation won't be as bad as Lineage's :P

★Angel★

★Angel★

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Good post. =]

Cannot really think of any good suggestions at the moment but if you do make a new thread sometime in the next month or so, I can try to suggest. I'd love to get him to read an email about our wiki once it starts moving. I find that well-constructed wiki's are the best thing about new games.

|| An Angel ||Posted Image|| The Index ||

Synner

Synner

Skipper

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Would you guys be annoyed if I sent out a mass email about this news article? I know I've been sending a lot of them out lately.

i cant see why anyone would be annoyed by that, bro.
Posted Image

★Angel★

★Angel★

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
I don't remember him even sending out news update thingies :o

|| An Angel ||Posted Image|| The Index ||