In 2003 Jake Song left NCsoft and created XLGAMES.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Garro's guide to crafting equipment upgrades (translated by Seatbelt)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

Seatbelt

Seatbelt

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

I have been asked to to move my original post where I translate Garro's crafting over here to the guide section, so it is easier to find. Here's the link to the video.

The likelyhood of you getting a part of a top 50 set with decent item rarirty and a low crafting skill is incredibly miniscule, and you are about to understand why. From levels 20 until 40, there are 5 sets for each armour type. For those of you who aren't familiar with the system, a set is a collection of equipment and when a player wears a certaing ammount of equipment from the set, he acquires special bonuses. For low-level sets all you need is akhium and the neccessary resource (leather, ore, etc.) After you've collected the needed materials you make the level 20 set and upgrade it gradually up to level 40. In order to do this you'll need a gradually increasing ammount of akhium, resources and jars. that can be crafted with resources that are gathered from farms. All of this is fairly simple.

Hardcore crafting starts with the crafting of the level 44 set. There are 4 of these sets for each armour type 
[light, medium, and heavy]. What's really fun, is the fact taht when you upgrade your set, you don't know which of the 4 set options it will turn into. As you can see in the video[2:15] when I upgraded my set from level 40 to 44, I got 2 items from the 1st set, 2 items from the 2nd, 2 from the 3rd and 1 from the 4th. And now in order to collect the rest of my desired set I have to repeat the process and pray to the Great Gods of Korean Random Chance that I will get the items that I need. Obviously players can trade these set items amongst themselves in order to collect the set they want, but certain sets will be more popular and easier to obtain than some others. This is only the first step in hardcore crafting, so let us continue. There are no level 48 sets, but instead there are low level 50 sets, a middle level 50 sets, and a high level 50 sets. In order to craft the lowest level 50 set you'll have to get a certain level 44 set, meaning that out of the 4 level 44 sets, only one can be upgraded to level 50. Those level 44 set items that can be upgraded to level 50 have 3 stat bonuses, while those that can not only have 2. There are 7 low level 50 sets, only one of which can be upgraded to it's middle level 50 counterpart, of which
there are also 7, out of which also only 1 can be upgraded to the high level 50 set. But the complications don't end there. It is also important that the crafter is high enough skill level so that the set items are at least blue, or preferably purple or gold 
[item rarity].

To upgrade the level 40 
[medium] set to level 44 you need 21 blue akhium cubes, which can be farmed on the Northern Continent, bought from the Auction House or grinded from mob drops. You also need 28 improved leather. If you chose to get the leather yourself from your own pig farm, you'll also have to upgrade the leather yourself. You'll need 3 regular leather to make 1 processed leather. In order to make one improved leather, you'll need 10 processed leather and 1 red jar, which is crafted out of 25 rice and 15 corn. This is specifically for medium armour, and in order to upgrade sets of different armour types you'll need different colour jars made from different plants. After fathering all the improved leather you will need dye [amount not specified, I assume one per each item in the set], and 7 round red jars, on per each item in the set. These jars are also made using resources from farms. For a single red jar you will need 25 peanuts, which take a while to grow, 20 wheat, 9 seaweed from an underwater farm and 1 special [I think he might have said thunderstruck, but I'm not sure] rice, which can be acquired randomly when farming regular rice. The chance of a player getting the special rice depends on his or her farming skill level. A mage will need 1 special clover leaf for a yellow jar, which is used to upgrade cloth, which means he would
have to have 2 skills - farming and picking herbs - at a decently high level. The simplest of plants grow around 2 hours, while the more complex ones like seaweed and peanuts can grown for 10 hours.

The higher the level of the crafted item, the more complex the resources get. Level 50 sets require items that can only be dropped by mobs and have a fairly low drop rate.

Weapons adhere to a similar upgrade pattern. There are 4 level 44 weapons of each weapon type, only one of which can be upgraded to the low level 50, of which there are 7, and out of those 7 only 1 can be upgraded to the middle level 50, of which there are also 7 and of which also only 1 can be upgraded to it's final high level 50 form.

Once again please let me know if there are any spelling or grammar mistakes, or if something makes little sense and needs to be clarified. Don't be shy to let me know if you want anything else translated and enjoy :)

Exposed

Exposed

Easily Offended

• Members
  • PipPip

It does sound like an interesting crafting system, albeit not necessarily original... my only concern would be that all the items that cant be upgraded, get flooded into the market.

A resource sink disguised as an adventure?

I could be reading it incorrectly... Thank you for the new information sirs!

Evangelion

Evangelion

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
[spoilers=Approved]

rainbow_dash_seal_of_approval_by_lemonyh

[/spoilers]

Seatbelt

Seatbelt

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

It does sound like an interesting crafting system, albeit not necessarily original... my only concern would be that all the items that cant be upgraded, get flooded into the market.

I could be reading it incorrectly... Thank you for the new information sirs!

Yeah dude, it seems kind of forced. As if they couldn't think of a cool unique way to make us work hard for upgraded equipment, so they that made that system instead. Jake Song is a genius and NC Soft are ballers, but it is a little overly ambitious to assume that a lot of players are going to want to stay in the game where getting equipment is that difficult, especially since this game runs entirely on players and player-generated content. Although perhaps guildmates and such will just trade their set pieces, and everyone will have around the same level of equipment and those with the top level 50 set will be revered and considered legends or something. Kind of like in Warhammer Online where you had to put an incredible amount of time and effort into getting the best PvP set, and there were only a few players in each server that ended up getting it. One can only hope.

Kohu

Kohu

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

I can't thank you enough for translating this! It answers a lot of my questions about the crafting system. It does certainly seem interesting though I too am concerned with its mechanics. Time will tell if this disguised resource sink will be good for the game economy I suppose? I can see why many players are still in level 44 gear now. 

Jamja

Jamja

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

"To upgrade the level 40 [medium] set to level 44 you need 21 blue akhium cubes, which can be farmed on the Northern Continent, bought from the Auction House or grinded from mob drops. "

OK I'm confused about the farming of akhium cubes (both red and blue) on the Northern Continent?    We spent a couple of hours on the northern continent grinding mobs and did not get a single drop.

Seatbelt

Seatbelt

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

"To upgrade the level 40 [medium] set to level 44 you need 21 blue akhium cubes, which can be farmed on the Northern Continent, bought from the Auction House or grinded from mob drops. "

OK I'm confused about the farming of akhium cubes (both red and blue) on the Northern Continent?    We spent a couple of hours on the northern continent grinding mobs and did not get a single drop.

You harvest akhium from akhium trees, which you plant on the Northern Continent. Akhium drops from mobs are indeed rare.

Daedalus

Daedalus

King Daedalus, the Returned

• Members
  • PipPipPip

I kinda like it.

Those born with the dawn, never lose sight of it.

Those born with the dawn will away darkness, and stand tall.

Tidesson

Tidesson

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

You harvest akhium from akhium trees, which you plant on the Northern Continent. Akhium drops from mobs are indeed rare.

Could you elaborate on this? I'm really interested in this. Seems like ahkium farming is the most complicated part. The drop rate is just too low to farm it on mobs.

Do you just get a scarecrow up there and plant the trees? Sounds way too easy for me.

Inporylem

Inporylem

Donater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Could you elaborate on this? I'm really interested in this. Seems like ahkium farming is the most complicated part. The drop rate is just too low to farm it on mobs.

Do you just get a scarecrow up there and plant the trees? Sounds way too easy for me.

You get a scare crow and water them with the special water every 10 hours to get dust. I don't think there is nothing more into it. You buy these with delphi coins 3 coins per tree.

The amount of dust you get per tree is really low so I don't even know if it's worth it compared it to for example having a big scarecrow with cows making you money all the time and buying dust. Also it is random what dust you get :)

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

Thanks for making a new topic with this guide in the correct section, it will be easier for newcomers to find it.

@Jeml

Im going to "spoiler" that huge pic :)

Derek

Derek

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
This got me a lot more excited for the crafting. All mats from all levels will have some value then. Really good a year into the game for new people to start up.

Reorks

Reorks

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

I did not get something from this:

i heard crafting not always provide exactly what you aim (so i suppose there does not exist recipes that ensure your success),how this works exactly?

And...the result of the crafting is sellable in case,for example,you obtain a weapon or an armor part you have no use of?

You can sell old armors-weapons as well?

thanks anticipately for answers.

If I should fall to rise no more,
As many comrades did before,
Then ask the fifes and drums to play.
Over the hills and far away.
To fall in lads behind the drum,
With colours blazing like the sun.
Along the road to come-what may.

Inporylem

Inporylem

Donater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

I did not get something from this:

i heard crafting not always provide exactly what you aim (so i suppose there does not exist recipes that ensure your success),how this works exactly?

And...the result of the crafting is sellable in case,for example,you obtain a weapon or an armor part you have no use of?

You can sell old armors-weapons as well?

thanks anticipately for answers.

Crafted stuff are sellable items from dungeons are boe. Though at the moment as bad as it sounds it's not really worth to craft. I have been crafting my lvl40 set and I was about to start making the higher level sets that are random in stats. I looked at the ah and the amount of gold and luck it would take me to make armors is just insane compared how cheap you can already get blue/purple pieces from auction house. 

This is only because of no changes had been made to the games economy yet. Item prices are dropping so rapidly it takes the meaning out of crafting or gathering. I hope they are going to think about this on upcoming patches since it's taking so much away from the game. 

Because of this I stopped crafting all together and just making money farming cattle to buy my items.

Exposed

Exposed

Easily Offended

• Members
  • PipPip

Crafted stuff are sellable items from dungeons are boe. Though at the moment as bad as it sounds it's not really worth to craft. I have been crafting my lvl40 set and I was about to start making the higher level sets that are random in stats. I looked at the ah and the amount of gold and luck it would take me to make armors is just insane compared how cheap you can already get blue/purple pieces from auction house. 

This is only because of no changes had been made to the games economy yet. Item prices are dropping so rapidly it takes the meaning out of crafting or gathering. I hope they are going to think about this on upcoming patches since it's taking so much away from the game. 

Because of this I stopped crafting all together and just making money farming cattle to buy my items.

That's quite disappointing.. Sounds like the end of the Russian Soviet era...

Derek

Derek

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

oh no D:  I hope they fix it before NA release.  It's like, the most important major system in the game...

Reorks

Reorks

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Oh,again with the bind-on-equip trashy feature? hoped to dont see it anymore >.<'

Thats terrible for game economy since it makes older items worthless within' few days and so prices drop to a point everyone will achieve same gear,same weaps etc,etc simply abusing the fact people will have tons of gold and no use of them.

I really cant understand why the software houses insist to crumble economy and gears aspect to this stupid binding system...

If I should fall to rise no more,
As many comrades did before,
Then ask the fifes and drums to play.
To fall in lads behind the drum,
With colours blazing like the sun.
Along the road to come-what may.

Amaterasu

Amaterasu

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Bind on equip is only for instance gear (the one no one use because it's crap), so doesn't affect the game that much since crafted gear (best gear) is not bound.

What ruins the economy is the lack of item/gear sinks.

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

AAWeaponUpgrading.jpg

Seems like now its going be possible to upgrade the rarity of the items. Every upgrade requires 500 labor points and 200-300 [something].

업그레이드 방법은 기존의 빛바랜 무기 제작법과 동일하며,
첫 번째 업그레이드는 해당 증표 200개와 노동력 500이 필요하고,
마지막 업그레이드는 해당 증표 300개와 노동력 500이 필요합니다.

Personally im not a fan of this easy upgrading process, since it will remove the competition between the crafters and now everyone will be running around with the most rare items and not just the ones who actually deserve it for their hard work/spending.

NoirWolf

NoirWolf

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

AAWeaponUpgrading.jpg

Seems like now its going be possible to upgrade the rarity of the items. Every upgrade requires 500 labor points and 200-300 [something].

Personally im not a fan of this easy upgrading process, since it will remove the competition between the crafters and now everyone will be running around with the most rare items and not just the ones who actually deserve it for their hard work/spending.

By what I understand past a certain quality that process can fail and destroy the item and the rate of failure (with or without destruction) is about 60-70%.