ArcheAge isn't about following a defined path, it's about creating a world by choosing the things that matter to you.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Will this game be big in NA?

Popularity subscriptions North America Archeage

Best Answer Elrar, 08 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

We haven't even gotten started yet - but we're already working on ideas on how to get the word out. A big part of that is going to be all of you!

If this is the game you enjoy, you saying that wherever you can is going to go a long way when the day comes :)

We're super excited to get the chance to demonstrate why ArcheAge is the perfect game for everyone like us who loves the depth, complexity, and pure random joy that a fully realized MMO can offer.

So welcome to the party, you're early - but stick around, it's going to be fun!

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Derek

Derek

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
I've followed a few releases before, and this one isn't as hyped as the others. It might be too soon because they just decided on a publisher, but usually more attention is surrounding a release like this.

I'm sure within the next couple months Trion will put ads on popular gaming sites and get the word out, but I have a feeling this game will be very niche based (which isn't a bad thing).

What do you guys think the popularity of this game will be in the west? I'm speculating 250k retained subs after the first 6 months.

Exposed

Exposed

Easily Offended

• Members
  • PipPip

You're looking at it as a singular, other big releases this year will be Darkfall: UW, Neverwinter, TESO, Repopulation and Final fantasy... They're all their own niche.. none of them are a niche, etc.

Gone are the days where an mmo would come out and millions would play, these days there are too many options, so people hop around like rabbits until they find something they want to invest time into.

AlextheLateOwl

AlextheLateOwl

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Im kind of skeptical about it being popular in NA. I think the thought of open world pvp would scare a lot of people away.

But maybe the other features will drag them back in and let them deal with pvp as they see fit.

Exposed

Exposed

Easily Offended

• Members
  • PipPip

Im kind of skeptical about it being popular in NA. I think the thought of open world pvp would scare a lot of people away.

But maybe the other features will drag them back in and let them deal with pvp as they see fit.

If anything, open pvp is what will bring them in.. it just has to be good open pvp, and it has to be better than the competition...

Evangelion

Evangelion

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

who knows, iam playing it anyway

Paul_Cousins

Paul_Cousins

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Well the best hit or miss factor for release is software bugs. The can hurt a subscriber base very quick. Still, given the asian release is constantly working out the bugs right now, I don't see any major problems cropping in the U.S. release other than some minor translation error.

Barring any minor changes to the game Trion makes causes problem.

Then it is a matter of what leveling and end game will offer for long term subscriber revenue. Which from what it looks like is a lot at end game. I am not sure about leveling.

Also, XLGames is constantly adding new features to Archeage, so that will help a lot for the game.

And Archeage is being released by Trion in the U.S., which is one of the most respected MMO companies in the U.S.

I think Archeage has all the needed requirements to be big.

Elrar

Elrar

CM at Trion Worlds

• Developers
  • PipPip
✓  Best Answer

We haven't even gotten started yet - but we're already working on ideas on how to get the word out. A big part of that is going to be all of you!

If this is the game you enjoy, you saying that wherever you can is going to go a long way when the day comes :)

We're super excited to get the chance to demonstrate why ArcheAge is the perfect game for everyone like us who loves the depth, complexity, and pure random joy that a fully realized MMO can offer.

So welcome to the party, you're early - but stick around, it's going to be fun!

CyclopsSlayer

CyclopsSlayer

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Already trying to proselytize to my guildies and clans mates. AA may not be the second coming, but it is also NOT your play it for a month and forget about it Flavor-of-the-Month junk MMO.

Saint Walker

Saint Walker

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Lol @ The Repopulation....That game is going to fail so miserably it's going to be hilarious. They can't compete with XL/Trion, period.

TESO looks to be fun for about 3 weeks, then the same ol' story. NO CONTENT....

AA is in a class by itself.

All will be well.................

Derek

Derek

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

I bet you're right, Nny.

Exposed

Exposed

Easily Offended

• Members
  • PipPip

Lol @ The Repopulation....That game is going to fail so miserably it's going to be hilarious. They can't compete with XL/Trion, period.

TESO looks to be fun for about 3 weeks, then the same ol' story. NO CONTENT....

AA is in a class by itself.

Personally, I'm not looking at repopulation with any interest. But what you just said is completely closed minded.

I'm dying to play AA just as much as anyone here, but I'm not going to look at it like the new mesiah unless it proves it's worth. I've played every "hit" mmo in the last 8~ years, I've seen plenty of people say plenty of games were "in a class of it's own" and couldn't compete with "x, y, z".

Try to be rational, being a fanboy get's us nowhere in the end.

0badiah

0badiah

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

This game, if done conservatively, will easily have 1 Million +  subscribers. For many years (5~)

Jojin

Jojin

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

While the game itself seems promising, there is a lot which would depend on how it is 'Westernized' and the business model.  

It could go for short term attempt to appeal at all, very casual or easy for a high initial influx and short life.  The opposite is also true in that it could be left or even make adjustments in the design for long term play and attachment.

Saying something is a hit is very relative.  I would ask is it going to be an an EVE like game; slow start focused on dedicated following or like so many recent releases; generic mass appeal trying to front load the sales.

Dynanmb

Dynanmb

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

I hope they leave the leveling curve like the Korean version, but they NEED to implement full world PVP, no safe zone servers... and have more PVP rewarded loot or PVP moonstones with PVP Damage Reduction and Bonuses you can slot to gear.

Dranthos

Dranthos

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Imho. Nowadays MMOs reach his launch date with one foot in the grave already. Why? I think 50% blame is of the producer of course, but the other 50% is of the overhyped players, after WoW launch, almost every game has been blindly hyped. We tend to overreact creating hopes and dreams of a game we haven't played. Maybe because the producer starts releasing chunks of info three years before launch (GW2 anyone?) or just because we only want to see the cool parts of our next MMO (TERA's combat is so awesome! shame it only have 2 high end 5-man instances).

So, when launch day arrives, 80% of the players knows how to clean the lvl 35 dungeon, where do you earn that sword that shoots cosmic beams and the best place to farm orichalcumcite ore.

Another problem is that players want to play a game without a single bug/exploit/glitch on the first day of the game. Hell, even some players complain about having issues on betas. In my opinion that's just pathetic, you can't complain about having 30fps instead 55 on crowded areas, or having 100ms ping instead 70ms on 50vs50 battles.

In the end, I don't care if Trion publishes a game for the masses or only for hardcore players. I just care about them publishing a game I want to play.

horofirma.jpg

He runs, he steals but never lies

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

Hype is bad for every MMO, look at how hyped were the MMOs like: GW2, SWTOR, TWS, DF2... and they are failed to deliver what they promised.

Companies:

Hype has became a tool for them to promote their games, they using it to miss inform people, they keep lying about the games features just to draw more attention to their games.

Gamers:

My biggest worry about over-hyped games are the "hype hunters" or "MMO hoppers" or "MMO jumpers", these kind of gamers just keep jumping from one over-hyped game to another. They just don't care what a game offers, they just want to play "what everyone else" is playing too. They keep saying that "this game is the best" then after a month of playing "this game is boring, i need a new one", and sadly 60% of the gamers are like this, they just keep jumping from game to game, trash talking and else.

But luckily AA is not the MMO with the biggest hype at the moment, its another MMO (won't say its name here), and hopefully these "hoppers" will all go there, and we will have a better community around AA.

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

What do you guys think the popularity of this game will be in the west? I'm speculating 250k retained subs after the first 6 months.

Its hard to predict that without knowing whats Trion is planning, marketing wise and etc.

CyclopsSlayer

CyclopsSlayer

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Its hard to predict that without knowing whats Trion is planning, marketing wise and etc.

Exactly. Not to say that Trion will, but say they mellow the game down to a kiddie rated pve mess, or conversely say they add ultra Gore and rampant public sex; both would seriously serve to restrict the player base.
So really, until we see what plans Trion has in mind, what their marketing and payment schemes are,all we could do is make wildly inaccurate guesses based on nothing real.

KeksX

KeksX

Community Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

I didn't get too many chances to look at the game deeply but from what I've seen since I'm following the game they're focusing a lot on hardcore features which encourages lazy people, i.e. botters and people complaining about "It's too hard!", to essentially break the game.

So I hope AA will never become too big, at least not at the start. A decent subscription base starting in the 100ks with a solid growth into the million is everything we can hope for imho.

(Assuming a standard P2P model of course)

RU Info: Server 4, ТАЯН, Zerus / Tiamat, Almost Russian

EU Guild: Aurorian Empire | http://aurorian-empire.eu/

What You Should Know About ArcheAge! http://archeagesourc...about-archeage/

(Discontinued) Korean Retail and PTR News! http://archeagesourc...etail-ptr-news/ http://archeagesourc...l-general-news/

English Guides and Tutorials List by LlexX! http://archeagesourc...st-to-archeage/

Inporylem

Inporylem

Donater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

For sandbox players it will be big game, finally something to explore so I would assume we get lots of uo veterans playing.

The fact that the game has no instances to farm and the gear is made by crafting won't attract all those people that enjoyed all those generic mmorpg's basically after 2004 so I doubt it will never be anything big subscription wise. Also it is super important to figure out all these flaws the game has at the moment before the game is release in West since people in West will dump a game really fast if it's release in a shape like this there is plenty of examples from the near future. 

Biggest flaws at the moment is the safe zone hugging pretty much everywhere even on sea. (Shouldn't work like this if you call your game a sandbox). The economy is already going nuts everything is loosing value it makes gathering and crafting pretty much useless in a month or two you can get everything really cheap. Few weeks ago a pack of wood was worth 20g now it is around 9-11g. And last there is no material or gold sinks in game which affects the economy being crap. There is no use to be a dedicated crafter or gatherer since it doesn't pay off. All the plant and tree farms has magically turned into goat/cow farms in past few weeks.

I guess Koreans are used to get their games in a shape like this and they might have nerves to wait for changes, but in West it's going to be another shit storm again with a lot of pissed off people and it's quite impossible to get players back in the future if the flaws are fixed too late. Good economy and PvP is pretty much the spine of a working sandbox and at the moment they have lots of work to get those systems working properly. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Popularity, subscriptions, North America, Archeage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users