XLGAMES' first creation was a racing MMO called XL1.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Will this game be big in NA?

Popularity subscriptions North America Archeage

Best Answer Elrar, 08 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

We haven't even gotten started yet - but we're already working on ideas on how to get the word out. A big part of that is going to be all of you!

If this is the game you enjoy, you saying that wherever you can is going to go a long way when the day comes :)

We're super excited to get the chance to demonstrate why ArcheAge is the perfect game for everyone like us who loves the depth, complexity, and pure random joy that a fully realized MMO can offer.

So welcome to the party, you're early - but stick around, it's going to be fun!

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Mordrake

Mordrake

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip

For sandbox players it will be big game, finally something to explore so I would assume we get lots of uo veterans playing.

Biggest flaws at the moment is the safe zone hugging pretty much everywhere even on sea. (Shouldn't work like this if you call your game a sandbox). The economy is already going nuts everything is loosing value it makes gathering and crafting pretty much useless in a month or two you can get everything really cheap. Few weeks ago a pack of wood was worth 20g now it is around 9-11g. And last there is no material or gold sinks in game which affects the economy being crap. There is no use to be a dedicated crafter or gatherer since it doesn't pay off. All the plant and tree farms has magically turned into goat/cow farms in past few weeks.

That's because we need more pirates to ravage those pesky merchants, burn their crops, destroy their farms and wreck their ships!

There you have a gold sink :)

I do what I want cause a pirate is free. I'm a pirate.

Inporylem

Inporylem

Donater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

That's because we need more pirates to ravage those pesky merchants, burn their crops, destroy their farms and wreck their ships!

There you have a gold sink :)

Umm no it's not since you loose basically nothing when you wreck someones ship or kill them. Try not to be make a joke out of this since this is really going to be the reason why this game wont ever be the sandbox what people has been waiting for. Sandboxes needs some kind of economy.

I have lost more money reviving my pet since it died to a mob than getting killed in PvP.

Paul_Cousins

Paul_Cousins

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Imho. Nowadays MMOs reach his launch date with one foot in the grave already. Why? I think 50% blame is of the producer of course, but the other 50% is of the overhyped players, after WoW launch, almost every game has been blindly hyped. We tend to overreact creating hopes and dreams of a game we haven't played. Maybe because the producer starts releasing chunks of info three years before launch (GW2 anyone?) or just because we only want to see the cool parts of our next MMO (TERA's combat is so awesome! shame it only have 2 high end 5-man instances).

So, when launch day arrives, 80% of the players knows how to clean the lvl 35 dungeon, where do you earn that sword that shoots cosmic beams and the best place to farm orichalcumcite ore.

Another problem is that players want to play a game without a single bug/exploit/glitch on the first day of the game. Hell, even some players complain about having issues on betas. In my opinion that's just pathetic, you can't complain about having 30fps instead 55 on crowded areas, or having 100ms ping instead 70ms on 50vs50 battles.

In the end, I don't care if Trion publishes a game for the masses or only for hardcore players. I just care about them publishing a game I want to play.

The irony is World of Warcraft had one of this worst MMO launches ever.

Still, what you said shows the player base skill to be is one of Archeage's strengths. Archeage cuts out a lot of the character limitations with its skill system.

Archeage has an open world like WoW, unlike most MMOs that have loading screens between zones.

And show in Archeage videos ground mounts and gliders are received at a  far lower level than their MMO counterparts.

Though, that mount mini-game could get old real quick. Frankly, I think Trion should make it so if the player does it once, they don't have to do again on the rest of their characters.

Keep in mind that MMO games are both a sprint (good launch day) and a long distance run (maintaining and growing a subscriber base).

Mordrake

Mordrake

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip

Umm no it's not since you loose basically nothing when you wreck someones ship or kill them. Try not to be make a joke out of this since this is really going to be the reason why this game wont ever be the sandbox what people has been waiting for. Sandboxes needs some kind of economy.

I have lost more money reviving my pet since it died to a mob than getting killed in PvP.

I'm not joking.

If I intercept a merchant ship and wreck it not only they lose their cargo but also they need to waste resources repairing it and probably additional cost purchasing some manpower to prevent such unfortunate events in the future.

Meanwhile the claimed cargo would serve me to break even the cost of weaponry, jury tampering and other expenses derived of the outlaw life. Hell I'll probably burn/destroy/throw to the sea all the stuff without immediate use for me...

Look at EVE online, undoubtedly a succesful MMO, the principal money sink in this game are the players themselves destroying each other's ships. Not long ago there was a colossal battle (link) with 3000 person implied, losses were so brutal that the economy itself was overflowing (I think still is) with lots of new demand to overcome the situation. A economic revival.

Of course I'm not implying "the bad guys will save the economy, jarr jarr", but look we help in our particular way.

I do what I want cause a pirate is free. I'm a pirate.

Inporylem

Inporylem

Donater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

I'm not joking.

If I intercept a merchant ship and wreck it not only they lose their cargo but also they need to waste resources repairing it and probably additional cost purchasing some manpower to prevent such unfortunate events in the future.

Meanwhile the claimed cargo would serve me to break even the cost of weaponry, jury tampering and other expenses derived of the outlaw life. Hell I'll probably burn/destroy/throw to the sea all the stuff without immediate use for me...

Look at EVE online, undoubtedly a succesful MMO, the principal money sink in this game are the players themselves destroying each other's ships. Not long ago there was a colossal battle (link) with 3000 person implied, losses were so brutal that the economy itself was overflowing (I think still is) with lots of new demand to overcome the situation. A economic revival.

Of course I'm not implying "the bad guys will save the economy, jarr jarr", but look we help in our particular way.

I think you didn't read my comment at all. When you steal a pack from someone that still stays ingame it's not going to have any affect on economy. For working economy you need something to take materials and gold out of the economy. At this point there is not such a thing you gain gain gain and never loose anything. Trying to get the average gamers to get interested on a game that they can't acquire anything after certain point kills it right away.

Keep in mind that MMO games are both a sprint (good launch day) and a long distance run (maintaining and growing a subscriber base).

Well that's the whole reason why I wrote that. At the moment there is nothing maintaining the player base since they will get bored for sure where there is nothing to aim to. And if you would see a game in this condition getting launched on West it would be worse fail than swtor and tera together. When you have seen the actual game and getting frustrated with the safe zone hugging on so called pirate mmorpg you feel the need of some kind of change.

Exposed

Exposed

Easily Offended

• Members
  • PipPip

I think you didn't read my comment at all. When you steal a pack from someone that still stays ingame it's not going to have any affect on economy. For working economy you need something to take materials and gold out of the economy. At this point there is not such a thing you gain gain gain and never loose anything. Trying to get the average gamers to get interested on a game that they can't acquire anything after certain point kills it right away.

Well that's the whole reason why I wrote that. At the moment there is nothing maintaining the player base since they will get bored for sure where there is nothing to aim to. And if you would see a game in this condition getting launched on West it would be worse fail than swtor and tera together. When you have seen the actual game and getting frustrated with the safe zone hugging on so called pirate mmorpg you feel the need of some kind of change.

This is 100%, if all you do is gain and gain, while losing nothing.. eventually the experience plateus, not only the economy.

Think of all the games that have been successful for 8-15~+ years.

There is some form of item loss! (with the exception of wow and maybe eq/2, which has the constant carrot on a stick).

That isn't some nonsenical statistic, it's just the truth... and it doesn't make sense why all these developers today arent even looking into it... Unless they're all just looking for the short term profit =\?

Daedalus

Daedalus

King Daedalus, the Returned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
For those of us older gamers who have craved a seemingly perfect sandbox similar to what we enjoyed in UO and SWG, AA looks like the promised land. In my opinion, anyway. The crowd that enjoyed those games is going to come out of the woodwork like you would not believe.

Those born with the dawn, never lose sight of it.

Those born with the dawn will away darkness, and stand tall.

ranalin

ranalin

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

For those of us older gamers who have craved a seemingly perfect sandbox similar to what we enjoyed in UO and SWG, AA looks like the promised land. In my opinion, anyway. The crowd that enjoyed those games is going to come out of the woodwork like you would not believe.

as one of those old school gamers... This looks like a win/win on paper but as Inpo and other have mentioned there's cracks that need fixing.  If not it'll not be able to keep the niche it's shooting for and fail big time.  Which is a shame.

Ehllfhire

Ehllfhire

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

I've followed a few releases before, and this one isn't as hyped as the others. It might be too soon because they just decided on a publisher, but usually more attention is surrounding a release like this.

I'm sure within the next couple months Trion will put ads on popular gaming sites and get the word out, but I have a feeling this game will be very niche based (which isn't a bad thing).

What do you guys think the popularity of this game will be in the west? I'm speculating 250k retained subs after the first 6 months.

Im eagerly awaiting it. Im saddened by the delay to american shores but Im confident it will be a hit, like FFXI was.

Daedalus

Daedalus

King Daedalus, the Returned

• Members
  • PipPipPip

as one of those old school gamers... This looks like a win/win on paper but as Inpo and other have mentioned there's cracks that need fixing.  If not it'll not be able to keep the niche it's shooting for and fail big time.  Which is a shame.

Unfortunately I have to agree, but I don't see XLGames letting things get too out of hand.

Those born with the dawn, never lose sight of it.

Those born with the dawn will away darkness, and stand tall.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Popularity, subscriptions, North America, Archeage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users