There are no predefined paths. Your choices. Your actions. Your world.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Worried about the combat

Generic gw2 archeage

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Derek

Derek

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
As I learn more about this game, all the extra stuff like housing, farming, boats, and so on are more than extras, they're what really break this game apart from other MMOs. What worries me though is the generic combat.

I'm not too concerned about it for the first year of the game because the WoW style (i know other games had it before) is only starting to be looked down on with more actiony systems coming into the picture. But after that first year, when the market is full of great evolved combat systems how will Archeage hold up?

Am I missing something though? Do the combos and class customization make it dynamic enough to hold its own in the years to come? Or will this soon to be outdated combat system be the hinderance that brings about the downfall of this game?

Maybe people who like this combat system in the same way people like to play old final fantasy games will pick archeage as the best of what was. What do you guys think will happen?

-FP

-FP

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Some people call this new action-console style combat "the future" for the MMORPGs, I call it a "fad".

There always will be people who would prefer the traditional combat style (which is very similar to what ArcheAge has), specially if they started playing like 10 years ago.

I don't see the combos making much difference, after all it's hitting one button after the other, when I played OBT I ended up doing them without thinking about it, kinda like a muscle memory action.

MaximumDOGE

MaximumDOGE

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

The combat system is the real clincher to me, which has me a little worried. From the footage I've seen, the combat looks a little rigid and artifical, almost like Skyrim's combat. Where Skyrim's combat system isn't the main attraction of the game, it still manages to be fun with the loads of quests, gear upgrades, and exploration to do in the world.

I'm having trouble describing it, but Archeage almost looks like a Darkfall, where the game is more about strategy than skills.

*as a disclaimer, I have not played the game, and my opinions are based on the game footage I've seen.

Exposed

Exposed

Easily Offended

• Members
  • PipPip

Some people call this new action-console style combat "the future" for the MMORPGs, I call it a "fad".

There always will be people who would prefer the traditional combat style (which is very similar to what ArcheAge has), specially if they started playing like 10 years ago.

I don't see the combos making much difference, after all it's hitting one button after the other, when I played OBT I ended up doing them without thinking about it, kinda like a muscle memory action.

The "actiony" combat is definitely a fad.

It was an attempt to be different, but it has never added anything exciting to a game... I find it terribly boring when it's all left click right click, hold left click, double right click..

Age of conan did it pretty well though I have to say ;)

Selling a game based on it's combat is like selling a house based on its plumbing... no one cares as long as it works. Too many publishers/devs have tried to sell their game based on it's plumbing... instead of its structure.

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

Again a topic criticizing AA's combat... its getting booooooring...

Guess what, the combat in AA is FINE, and its as it should be!

Those who can't accept it, they should just leave "points at the door".

Elrodeus

Elrodeus

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

I'm having trouble describing it, but Archeage almost looks like a Darkfall, where the game is more about strategy than skills.

While I've never played Darkfall, this is the reason I like the classic combat system to begin with. To me all RPGs (online or otherwise) should have a combat system that rewards players for great strategy and great builds. Someone who spends hours finding good builds and counters to destroy a certain type of fighter should be rewarded for that time spent on the strategy. In my opinion of course.

To me it's the equivalent of a friend of mine saying he can't beat a boss on a turn based RPG....I load up his own save file....analyze his characters and abilities then beat the boss. And he asks me "How'd you do that?" And I know respond, "it's all about strategy and how you use the abilities."

Danger and inconvenience are powerful motivators in getting people to work together, to reach out and meet new people, and to actually play an MMO as if there is a desire to acknowledge the "massively" and "multiplayer" aspect of the acronym.... Removing either (or both) from a game that features any type of openworld pvp is a mistake, at least in my opinion.

Daedalus

Daedalus

King Daedalus, the Returned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
The combat looks smooth and simple to me. Looks fine. I don't know why so many threads like this get started, but I can assure you the combat will be satisfactory.

Those born with the dawn, never lose sight of it.

Those born with the dawn will away darkness, and stand tall.

Derek

Derek

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

I'm not criticizing the combat. I've played with this system for a long time now and it works well in mmorpgs. I don't think trying to innovate combat is a fad either. Eventually a better combat system will be made and the current will be deemed "old", and I think that is happening now or soon.

I'm wondering if when that happens, will this system be considered "classic" or will it be "outdated".

Inporylem

Inporylem

Donater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Common sense would be to either on negative or positive feedback to have some kind of idea out of the game first.

Obsinity

Obsinity

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip

Hmm, a Forum where we are not allowed to discuss our opinions? You know that only a small percent of people on this site got to, or are playing the game right now. So the rest of us are going off of Streams or Youtube vids we've seen or Threads and Posts we've read. The only thing you should be "bothered" with Moderator LlexX, is that the Thread maker should have searched for another of the many threads to this topic and posted there. "Your" opinion that the combat in AA is fine as it is, is exactly that, your opinion. We don't have to share that. Believe in your opinion but don't order others to believe in yours or they get kicked out the door. Bad Moderating if you ask me...and guess what, thats "my" opinion. 

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

I'm not criticizing the combat. I've played with this system for a long time now and it works well in mmorpgs. I don't think trying to innovate combat is a fad either. Eventually a better combat system will be made and the current will be deemed "old", and I think that is happening now or soon.

I'm wondering if when that happens, will this system be considered "classic" or will it be "outdated".

My post from before was meant to the "upcoming" replies actually... rather than pointed at you.

I have one thing to say about this "old" aka classic and "new" aka action combat system.

Actually both existed since quite some time (10+ years), the fact about why none talked about this action type combat until recently, is that those MMOs were made by "little" companies and were generally F2P, but now when a "big" company releases an MMO with the so called action type combat, its suddenly a "new", "revolutionary", the sky is blue, the grass is green... meh... wake up people and stop listening to this brainwashing method from the big western companies...

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

Hmm, a Forum where we are not allowed to discuss our opinions? You know that only a small percent of people on this site got to, or are playing the game right now. So the rest of us are going off of Streams or Youtube vids we've seen or Threads and Posts we've read. The only thing you should be "bothered" with Moderator LlexX, is that the Thread maker should have searched for another of the many threads to this topic and posted there. "Your" opinion that the combat in AA is fine as it is, is exactly that, your opinion. We don't have to share that. Believe in your opinion but don't order others to believe in yours or they get kicked out the door. Bad Moderating if you ask me...and guess what, thats "my" opinion. 

You are right, everyone has right to write his/her opinion. But im here longer then you are, and ive seen where are things went/going with this combat mechanic discussion, and those who hate the tab-targetting combat system should search for another game, rather than crying here for wanting changes!

Personally i don't care about the combat system of an MMO, im fine with both if they are done properly. For me the combat system is AA is just fine as i said and it doesn't need an "actionization".

Elrodeus

Elrodeus

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
The combat in ArcheAge is as "dated" as the D&D combat system and guess what... D&D is here to stay as well. This combat system wont go the way of the dodo. Some companies may try other things but there's a reason this has worked so well for so long.

Danger and inconvenience are powerful motivators in getting people to work together, to reach out and meet new people, and to actually play an MMO as if there is a desire to acknowledge the "massively" and "multiplayer" aspect of the acronym.... Removing either (or both) from a game that features any type of openworld pvp is a mistake, at least in my opinion.

MaximumDOGE

MaximumDOGE

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

You are right, everyone has right to write his/her opinion. But im here longer then you are, and ive seen where are things went/going with this combat mechanic discussion, and those who hate the tab-targetting combat system should search for another game, rather than crying here for wanting changes!

Personally i don't care about the combat system of an MMO, im fine with both if they are done properly. For me the combat system is AA is just fine as i said and it doesn't need an "actionization".

Whether you like it or not, a big part of the games success will be how it draws in players, the combat system may be acceptable to you, but players like us that love sandbox MMOs make up a very small percentage of gamers. Archeage is a massive game, and I'm not going to be able to solo everything, If the combat system isn't dynamic or original, I am going to have a lot of trouble convincing my friends to participate, let alone continue playing the game. Many of my friends are still pissed at me for pressuring them to play GW2. Which btw suffers from bland and tedious combat.

Elrodeus

Elrodeus

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

If the combat system isn't dynamic or original, I am going to have a lot of trouble convincing my friends to participate, let alone continue playing the game.

I don't understand what this obsession with "original combat" is. I mean the combat system is inherently part of the RPG game. If you change the combat system too much you wind up with something that isn't even an RPG.

I mean we've been playing the same FPS games since Golden Eye on the N64. All that's changed is graphics and the title of the game. People buy copy after copy of Call of Duty then complain about how they want THIS combat system to be "original"?

I'm never going to understand it. Perhaps when people realize that not all great games need novel ideas then we'll be fine. And not all novel ideas make great games that's for sure.

Edit: just for clarification...I'm NOT a Call of Duty fan.

Evangelion

Evangelion

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

such nitpicking

Amaterasu

Amaterasu

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

The combat system is the real clincher to me, which has me a little worried. From the footage I've seen, the combat looks a little rigid and artifical, almost like Skyrim's combat. Where Skyrim's combat system isn't the main attraction of the game, it still manages to be fun with the loads of quests, gear upgrades, and exploration to do in the world.

*as a disclaimer, I have not played the game, and my opinions are based on the game footage I've seen.

Is strategy not considered a skill anymore? I would think using your brains is as valuable as twitch skills.

Derek

Derek

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

If you change the combat system too much you wind up with something that isn't even an RPG. I mean we've been playing the same FPS games since Golden Eye on the N64. All that's changed is graphics and the title of the game.

I like that. Good post.

Veasna

Veasna

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

I've played quite a few mmo's and such now and tbh the only one where i was already bored in a beta weekend was Tera, go figure. Im looking forward to how the combat in Archeage plays out and how different you can play the 3 different combat trees.

Steelwind

Steelwind

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
One thing to consider is the combo system. This image shows how many their are and possible combinations which there looks to be many.

http://archeagesourc...s-cbt5-english/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Generic, gw2, archeage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users