ArcheAge has had three distinct brand identities, counting the current one.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Claude Schopenhauer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

Demarest

Demarest

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
[Sir Schopenhauer’s portrait interpreting his current appearance.]
Posted Image
[Theme]

I am Claude Schopenhauer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My existence started its progression on my body’s 1,115th day, when I achieved consciousness and my ascension through the enlightenment of reality began its journey.

I was brought up in a wealthy family, with wealthy parents, and wealthy siblings, wealthy servants and wealthy guardsmen. They showered me with their wealthy personalities every chance they were given. They tried to turn me into a wealthy member of their wealthy little business they ran, selling weapons to the wealthy and wealth-interested.
The word wealth is to be replaced with greed.

Despite the environment I grew up in, I was never obsessed with currency the same way those around me were. Perhaps it was because I never had to go without? Or perhaps it was due to my nature to question things which lead me to the realisation that the items one owns, end up owning them; despite that fact I never quite shrugged off my liking of the fashion of expensively classy gentlemen.

I digress.

Why there were few like me is astounding. I questioned everything, which was something new but not refreshing to those I matured around. My parents were strict, and would punish me for doing wrong; incidentally I had been indirectly told that my inquisitive side was ‘evil’. Only during my pubescent days did I manifest enough intelligence and rebellious confidence to fight against the oppression that threatened to obstruct me from factuality. It was then I understood that my guardians’ idea of right and wrong were not the same as my own, and that I should not be chastised for my curiosity.

Soon after, something struck me. I had a question that no one could provide a satisfying answer to. The enquiry was in regards to morality and how exactly it works. I discovered that this ‘good’ and ‘evil’ that the population spoke of in such a way that would imply they knew it to be some tangible force, was merely a construct of the imagination that the masses of society chose to use as governor of decisions for the individual. The inconsistency of morality is what repulsed me. It was the majority, whether right or wrong, that decided what was moral, and you would either agree or be destroyed by the social order. And soon after that, I removed morality from the equations of my decisions. The world was a new and bright place for me, now that I had ridden myself of the crutches of my conscience. Conformity never felt like an acceptable option, and a virtue was always a vice in disguise.

I took a liking to the game of chess. Admittedly, I wasn’t so good at it.
My favourite piece was the queen. It’s peculiar that a woman is granted such power and persuasion in a game that I had believed to be made in a male-dominated society. After that thought, I had reached another point in my life in which an epiphany occurred. I desired change on a large scale, but lacked the resources, and possibly the genius, to make such a transmogrification. I still favour avulsion, whether the means are peaceful or harsh, the end result is all that matters to me; so I await the day the opportunity arises.

While playing chess, I acquired more information about myself, and learned just how different I am to others. While watching the eccentricities of my opponents, I subconsciously kept track of my own. I became a proficient liar, something that would aid me in disguising my actions from my family. Many people had strange beliefs – strange to me. Some would pray before or after a game, whether by humble inner-words or loud-spoken demands. What others believed or cared about was of no interest to me. I didn’t like that they were all ignorant, but I never cherished them enough to attempt to open their eyes to reality.

Puberty passed and I had amassed a great deal of knowledge from studying at the libraries of major cities. My intellect surpassed most others my age. I would win every argument whether my opponent were right or wrong. It was amusing for some time, but it became boring – fast.

In one of my many moments of boredom, where I sit by a view and gaze out into the distance with an almost melancholy stare, I overheard a man playing the piano in a nearby tavern. I was able to enter such places without fuss at this age, and even when problems did arise I would always be able to charm my way through. I entered the tavern and allowed my eyes to glance in search for the pianist. That day I met a kind old man who I easily persuaded into teaching me how to play the instrument. Apparently I was a natural at it. I would often show my talent for the piano in low-populated villages. It was adorable seeing them all clap and cheer at the music I played. I had realised that knowledge was not my only passion.

[A piece by Sir Schopenhauer.]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbuZ9IpxXBg

My parents had been attempting to groom me into one of them, someone who could take over their business; something which meant nothing to me. They had no idea who I was, or what I did when their eyes weren’t watching. My daily activities usually consisted of playing and practicing musical instruments, singing and humming songs, games of chess, philosophical discussions if I were lucky, and reading books by philosophers. A salesman I was not.

At some point during my 22nd year, I used my ability to manipulate others emotions to convince a man to murder my family. This choice of mine came about when my father was more demanding than usual in regards to me taking over the business; something had to be done. The pianist who had taught me to play the piano was a surprisingly depressed man. The society he lived under was oppressive and so his entire life was spent as a closet-homosexual; his feelings held in tight, fear of the perceived judgement of others and the crushing status anxiety all building up within his mind created a veil of ignorance that is seen on so many today. It’s that ignorance which puts me off of ever caring for a person. It didn’t take much for me to seduce him. He became so mindlessly devoted to me; he was like a domesticated canine.

It was almost time for me to set loose this beast and watch as it clears the path to my freedom. I had set things up just the way I wanted them. I sent the man to the manor where my family lived, and had him kill my mother, my father, and my older brother on the reasoning that ‘they were threatening to kill me if I ever spent time with you again’. Just to be safe, I took my younger brother and sister out that night. They posed no threat to my peace. And so coincidentally, the enforcers of the law happened to be nearby to hear the screams of my parents as they were dealt with. My teacher put the pieces together by the end, but by then it was too late. His cries fell on deaf ears on the day of his execution.

I inherited the fortunes of my family, sold the manor along with everything in it, shut down the business, and invested all funds into the largest library I knew of. My younger siblings were given enough currency to start new lives, while I used my allotment to purchase a small, comfortable house that suited my needs of solitude. I was free, at least as much as anyone could be.

Over the next few years the relationship with my siblings became stronger. I loved them. It didn’t matter to me if they were intellectual or not. They approached me once with a complaint they thought valid. ‘You’re not better than us, so stop acting like it.’ they said in synchronisation. I knew that there was no such thing as a ‘better person’ - claims such as those were matters of opinion, and opinions such as those are never given any value by me, nor should they by any other. However that did not change the fact I had been called out as an arrogant person. They misunderstood how I am. Unless it was in my best interest, I would never be modest, nor would I boast or hyperbolise my skills. There’s never any reason to. My answer did not meet their satisfaction though, and so they started murmuring insults behind my back whenever I spoke in what they deemed was a condescending tone. It actually amused me. I knew they did not hate me though, I was glad for that.

I am now in my 26th year. Life is pleasant – the world is mad. Illusions like freedom, free will, security, safety, rights, morality, company, and control are all still alive and well, among uncountable numbers of delusional beliefs in non-existent beings and forces. This does not stop me from being happy. I seek the truth of my existence, while maintaining relaxing and rationally self-satisfying hobbies. One day, maybe I’ll meet another who thinks the way I do.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Entry –
[A piece by Sir Schopenhauer.]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc3R1XOh8OU

Why is death so hard for the denizens of life to comprehend? To put it in layman’s terms: It’s like a state of endless sleep, only you never dream or wake up. So many fear this state because when they imagine it they do so with feeling, which is the polar opposite of what exactly death is; although it certainly explains where the ‘afterlife’ concept spawned from. I entertained the thought of another existence, but I see no logical reason or purpose for it.

I had a dull conversation recently. A man insisted there was a spiritual force which balanced morality for all, by rewarding those who did good and punishing those that did bad; a colourful idea, but absurd when the state of society is glanced at. He was just another being who had fallen prey to false patternicity.

I have been tackling the philosophy of spirituality in my studies. At this point, it is hard to say with confidence that what is perceived as spiritual is merely a natural biological function in action. Could there honestly be some external force we are capable of contacting via these seemingly strange methods? But that our technological capabilities are not yet sufficient to identify? I doubt it. There will be an explanation, and if it is real there will be observable mechanics – else it does not exist; obvious to some but surprisingly not many. I continue my research and have been practicing the traditions of spiritualists in order to find the answer to my question. I have had no luck in my search.

(Opinions and constructive criticism is welcomed.)
"Judge if you want, we're all going to die. I just intend to deserve it."

Eligor

Eligor

Has no idea who Miura is...

• Super Moderators
Damn, that's pretty neat.
Let's all pretend there's something really important written here...

Demarest

Demarest

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
Update/Edited

Glad you like it Eligor.

Eligor

Eligor

• Super Moderators
Shows you put a lot of though into it, which something you don't see everyday.

Demarest

Demarest

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
A little update/editing.
Thanks again Eligor, I appreciate it.

Eligor

Eligor

• Super Moderators
Love to see role-players in games, they are usually the ones who make mmos fun, instead od people relying in guides and pointless
Tactics that ruin the fun for everyone else ( see serfs in aion and warhammer's early fail with afl leveling).