ArcheAge isn't about following a defined path, it's about creating a world by choosing the things that matter to you.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Elves

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Tribute

Tribute

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
I get the feeling that given the land and the lore, Elves actually would fit quite well on the third continent, all this politics between the human factions is way too disturbing. The sleek and slender graphics suits me just fine.

And if I'm a minority being an elf, so much the better, the last thing I want is a cookie cutter toon. The regality of Elves is beautiful to me. Now I just have to figure out the most rare custom class.
The Elves had a prophecy about the expedition to the land of origins, which they termed "Ishtari".

Master Vaillie

Master Vaillie

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

And if I'm a minority being an elf, so much the better, the last thing I want is a cookie cutter toon. The regality of Elves is beautiful to me. Now I just have to figure out the most rare custom class.

good for you. i Honestly do not mind elves but probably won't play one. just depends on my final decision of class and role to play. I strongly agree on the cookie cutter part i want to stand apart.

Tolemac- come join us now!

archeage.png

Small but active community with room to grow.

Looking for leaders with experience, enthusiasm, people skills, and maturity.

Looking for followers who are excited about AA.

Forums  -  Raids  -  Gallery  -  Laws

Galadhir

Galadhir

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Were there really only ever this few posts about the elves, or did a bunch of them get lost in the course of the forum's remodel?

Galadhir

Galadhir

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Poor elves--they're the only race the forum hasn't auto-labeled "hot".

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

Poor elves--they're the only race the forum hasn't auto-labeled "hot".

Thats because they are "ugly" :lol:

Galadhir

Galadhir

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Harrumph . . . they were hotter in CTB3 . . . but that's a discussion for another day.

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

Harrumph . . . they were hotter in CTB3 . . . but that's a discussion for another day.

The thing is that elves are "overused" in MMOs, they are too common nowadays, and maybe thats a reason why people arent interested in them anymore.

The reason im not interested with playing an elf is different, simply i think that they should be played as casters (with their physical look) and not physical DPS'ers which im playing all the time.

Galadhir

Galadhir

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
I agree--but I don't mind seeing them done well.

Amaterasu

Amaterasu

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Posted Image

We hot! B) (From CBT3 actually).

Eligor

Eligor

Has no idea who Miura is...

• Super Moderators
You wouldn't see me playing one of those pesky elves~!
Let's all pretend there's something really important written here...

Galadhir

Galadhir

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Posted Image

We hot! B) (From CBT3 actually).

Indeed! *high five, Ama!*

I take it this was your CBT3 toon that had trouble teleporting and spent way too much time on his donkey . . .

Zil

Zil

Just Do It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
I dunno, I think in an RP context Elves can be a cool choice. As much as I prefer the obvious human character, I might consider elves.

Posted Image

Amaterasu

Amaterasu

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

I take it this was your CBT3 toon that had trouble teleporting and spent way too much time on his donkey . . .

That's indeed my CBT3 character, but it's my horse in the background, not a donkey! D:
That's the kind of mistake that could get you killed, them horses can be so touchy. (Looking at these CBT3 screenshots again, feels like they dumbed down the graphics from CBT3 to CBT4 @_@ )

Eligor

Eligor

Has no idea who Miura is...

• Super Moderators
Engine changes mostly but the art style had some change between the two CBTs, client was still unoptimized as all hell but I also prefered the old look, where Archeage actually looked nice. Last CBT it was just like playing any other old MMO kinda.
Let's all pretend there's something really important written here...

Entaro

Entaro

Professional Strawberry Thief

• Super Moderators

That's indeed my CBT3 character, but it's my horse in the background, not a donkey! D:
That's the kind of mistake that could get you killed, them horses can be so touchy. (Looking at these CBT3 screenshots again, feels like they dumbed down the graphics from CBT3 to CBT4 @_@ )

Yeah, I had the feeling they dumbed down the graphics a bit too. I guess we'll have to wait for CBT5 to see how things progressed.

Wiseman

Wiseman

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Picky...picky...To my eyes the later of CBT4 looked better...But know one would no more than you guys, so far as what changed...You guys spent a lot of time seeing what was what..Everyone else has to base it off of screenshots or videos when recorded. :P

And Jake Song seems to have a little beef with sexy characters going by what he mentioned in an interview.....So if people feel a character is too good looking, it might be best to stay quiet on it.... ^_^

"We cannot solve the problems we have created with the same thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

Shango

Shango

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip

And Jake Song seems to have a little beef with sexy characters going by what he mentioned in an interview.....So if people feel a character is too good looking, it might be best to stay quiet on it.... ^_^

lol... you make him sound like the George RR Martin of game devs (who is said to kill off another Stark with every question about when he's going to finish the next book).... Everybody needs to stop this talk about smexy character models ASAP or he's going to start REMOVING races and we'll be left with only dwarves to play by the time the game finally launches! ;p

Tsaras

Tsaras

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Sry to push this back up, but I remembered, that we had separate Threads for all the races and I rather have such questions discussed at one place instead of having to use the search function for every question.

Now, my question is this: Are Elves considered to be immortal or very longlived in ArcheAge?

Classical (Tolkien) Elves are immortal, and even D&D Elves are still very longlived (400-700 years, if I remember correctly). Roleplay-wise this makes a great difference: If Elves are considered Immortal or very longlived, you can play a character with a youthfull appearance and still act out, as if you've already seen it all, and everone who doesn't agree with you simply doesn't have enough life-experience.

Looking at the current character creation (take e.g. this video - at time index 8 minutes), apparently there are age marks for elven faces, too. However, this doesn't necessarily mean that elves aren't immortal oder long-lived, it only means, that they do age, which is ok. When I played World of Warcraft I wanted to play a several thousand year old night elve (which the lore easily allowed), so I chose quite an old looking face. I didn't matter, though, because I didn't get to that much RP in WoW anyway.

I didn't find much at all on the Elven culture in the official lore, and nothing specifically about age. Aside from this, there is ony description of the Elves on the homapage.

In the old description it is hinted, that they are rather longlived. It can still be found in the German Forums: "Hermits of the beautiful forest, they watch the inevitable passage of time and stroll around the perilous forest without fear." Watching the inevitable passage of time is something long-lived peoples do, who, alone for that reason, would tend to be melancholic and moody; for roleplay, I consider this quite important.

The current description on the official homepage sound somewhat different: "Elves seclude themselves deep in the forest, avoiding other races as much as possible. Though envied for their beauty, their behavior is considered incomprehensible: hoping for an honorable death, they seek out danger no matter the odds." Indifference towards life and death can be a result of a long livespan, but not necessarily: a short livespan might lead to the same attitidute.

Anybody found any hints that I missed? And regardless of that: I would prefer Fantasy-Elves to be longlived, or even, if possible, immortal; although the later might be impractical in some Fantasy-Settings. 

Power Incarnate

Power Incarnate

Gilligan

• Members
  • PipPipPip

I understand completely. As of right now it seems challenging to get any set numbers in regards to longevity on many of the races. But here, read the story of Aranzeb.

http://archeagesourc...5-lore-aranzeb/

So lets calculate this:

We have an actual age mentioned: 20 years old

The story says some decades later which I’m “guesstimating” on being anywhere from 3-7: This puts us at 50-100 years of age.

The story then mentions that the husband, wife, and daughter all spent happy childhoods over the next 100 years: In reference to the above estimate we could safely assume "some decades" as meaning roughly 50 years (a happy middle ground) putting the mother and father at 170 and the daughter at 150; (positing then, that elven maturity is considered to be somewhere between 100 and 150 years of age)

The story then mentions "A hundred years" passing 2 more times. This puts us at roughly 370 years of age.

Furthermore, if we take into consideration the value of time attributed to the events both mentioned (and perhaps even those not mentioned) in the story, we could safely assume Aranzeb to be in excess of 400 years of age by the the tales end.

A few things worth pointing out:

1. They comment on it being unusual to see an old elf: "Because the sight of an Elderly Elf was so rare, he stared and stared at him."

This could be read several ways. It could simply mean that Elves don’t normally live to the point that they demonstrate heavy signs of aging...but I disagree with that (for reasons already mentioned, coupled with the fact that as you mentioned, signs of aging are available in elven character creation). On the other hand, perhaps it is so uncommonly seen, due to immense amount of time required to reach such a state, say 1000+ years. Coupled with the fact that the race does not shy away from seclusion, and we have little information on the culture and customs of the aforementioned, this could easily be the case: I.e. perhaps after a certain age, a pilgrimage or seclusion is mandatory, and thus the true elders are seldom seen.

2. They refer to being 20 years old as still being a child: "20 year olds were still thought of as children"

This is normal perhaps, considering that the same could be said even in human culture. However, they go on to refer to them as youngsters or children several more times after a decent number of years have passed.

"Some decades later the two had a child they named Aranyn, while they themselves were still considered children."

And then again

"For the next 100 years, they all lived out happy childhoods."

So on and so forth.

Lastly it is important to consider that; even at the end of the story Aranzeb is not deceased, and we can (I am sure), safely assume neither would his wife or first child be, if not for unnatural circumstances. Nor is Aranzeb ever referred to as old, simply calmer and more thoughtful "now that he was an adult". Considering all these things, as well as the nonchalant manner with which the preceding 300 years were mentioned, I cannot see why it would be wrong to figure Aranzeb might live another 100-200 years at the very least. If this were to be the case it would put his age in excess of 600 years.

===========================================================
Posted Image

DemyTelle

DemyTelle

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip

Thats because they are "ugly" :lol:

Agreed elves ugly... everyone ugly but me :D

Here you got real beauty

2KlcG.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic