Just so you know, AAS = ArcheAgeSource.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Piracy

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

Tribute

Tribute

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

I will find a way to be a pirate no matter what. :rolleyes:

That's hilarious, you and 10,000 others matey.
The Elves had a prophecy about the expedition to the land of origins, which they termed "Ishtari".

Techno

Techno

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
To become member of pirate faction you will have to kill many players or B&E on players houses :D on southern continets, when you kill a player or steal something thats grown by a player, you leave evidence behind, blood from kills, footprints from stealing.

The victim can collect blood or evidence and turn them in, that will raise your "karma" after certain amount of karma you will end up in prison and you will get prison debuff, wich wont alow you to do anything (travel, craft ect..)

When your karma reaches max amount you will become member of pirate faction, outcast, everyone will be your enemies except other pirates, when you are a pirate you can kill & steal without leaving evidence(blood doesnt drop when you PK players) also there is a pirate island where pirates can get repeatable quests that decreases their karma, also pirates can build houses on their island, tho its kinda small so not everyone will get chanse to build there.

Zil

Zil

Just Do It

• Members
  • PipPipPip

To become member of pirate faction you will have to kill many players or B&E on players houses :D on southern continets, when you kill a player or steal something thats grown by a player, you leave evidence behind, blood from kills, footprints from stealing.

Well there has to be some kind of work to be done to become a full fledged pirate. I don't think it'd feel the same if you could just "chose" to be a pirate, there has to be risk involved.

Posted Image

Miyafuji

Miyafuji

Hidoi !

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
I'm actually starting to be afraid of this. So many people will want to be pirate. If only 20% of the population, it is still a huge problem, as they will go rampage on everything and everyone just to get karma. It may damage the world atmosphere for the first maybe months, as some people will be performing crimes for no reason, just to get karma.

Laetitian

Laetitian

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

I'm actually starting to be afraid of this. So many people will want to be pirate. If only 20% of the population, it is still a huge problem, as they will go rampage on everything and everyone just to get karma. It may damage the world atmosphere for the first maybe months, as some people will be performing crimes for no reason, just to get karma.

Well, it would be teaching those 80% on how to best defend against the pirates or even fully prevent any contact.

Should hiring defending guilds be too cost-intense, causing that only ~25% of these problems are actually worth defense, those other problems can be faced by just attending partnerships.
One person can not defend his trees of intruders. But if ten people share one large forrest, they might be able to control it.

And other than stealing ressources that do not belong to them, how much can pirates actually do?
  • Steal backpacks - Here, hiring someone to defend you for the time of transportation is surely worth it.
  • Destroy houses, ships. Kill horses - Simply revive them. Money will be involved, but that should actually only be good for economy, right?

From what I have heard so far, this should be all. And I do not really see that as something to fear.

Posted Image

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

From what I have heard so far, this should be all. And I do not really see that as something to fear.

Not afraid? Posted Image
You and ur house/farm just become a priority on my killing list, watch ur back all the time. ARRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggg.

P.S: Just joking Posted Image

Cavarath

Cavarath

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Destroy houses, ships. Kill horses - Simply revive them. Money will be involved, but that should actually only be good for economy, right?

Well actually its irrelevant for the economy since you dont have to pay the fees to revive your horse to a player. It will only change the amount of money within the economy. But having a pot cost 1 million gold or 1 gold doesnt matter since people will have the fitting amount of money.
Houses cannot be destroyed and ships can just be called again after a CD, as far as i know.
"Recent results of scientific research have shown that the wish of a person to get a ArcheAge beta key is the bigger the lower the post count." - Veryintelligent Person

Laetitian

Laetitian

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Well actually its irrelevant for the economy since you dont have to pay the fees to revive your horse to a player. It will only change the amount of money within the economy. But having a pot cost 1 million gold or 1 gold doesnt matter since people will have the fitting amount of money.

Well, they will, if they participate farming and trading. So the need for money ensures active working of any kind.

Houses cannot be destroyed and ships can just be called again after a CD, as far as i know.

That second I knew, that's why I said "just revive them". But I thought, houses had the same system as ships. There was talking going on about houses being destroyed and sent into the owner's mailbox.
Also, what happens in raids?

Posted Image

Amaterasu

Amaterasu

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Wrong, houses can be destroyed. Only during sieges though, which might cause a problem on the 2 other continents. But they are probably aware of that already.

CyclopsSlayer

CyclopsSlayer

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
What lasting harm would a Pirate swarm do? Same as it has in every other game.

-They camp the newbie grounds, new players give up in disgust and delete AA from their disk. (Darkfall unless you joined one of the factions PRIOR to entering the game)
-Unless the rez points are safe zones they'll camp those and chain gank people. (SWTOR on Ilum, Vanguard)
-Take over villages, towns and potentially cities. Killing Merchants, Trainers, Quest givers, Travel merchants. (WoW Auction Halls anyone?)
-Destroy the community as players become leery of stepping out of their cities and no matter how big and beautiful the world, no one will ever see it. (Aion, RFOnline)

OTOH, it could well become a 3rd and by nature smaller faction, as they are bound to a single area unlike other games it may be possible to coordinate a cross-faction effort and chain gank the Pirates on their home turf!

BloodSorrow

BloodSorrow

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
PMC....

Im right with you there matey! ill man those cannons and pivot that mast!

......while you steer....Ill work for free if you get sloppy seconds!
Dog.DontSnatch.

Laetitian

Laetitian

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

What lasting harm would a Pirate swarm do? Same as it has in every other game.

-They camp the newbie grounds, new players give up in disgust and delete AA from their disk. (Darkfall unless you joined one of the factions PRIOR to entering the game)
-Unless the rez points are safe zones they'll camp those and chain gank people. (SWTOR on Ilum, Vanguard)
-Take over villages, towns and potentially cities. Killing Merchants, Trainers, Quest givers, Travel merchants. (WoW Auction Halls anyone?)
-Destroy the community as players become leery of stepping out of their cities and no matter how big and beautiful the world, no one will ever see it. (Aion, RFOnline)

That actually happened in all those games? Although there was no benefit for it?
I wonder how crappy those good guys must have played in order not to be able to prevent that? :huh:

But I see where this is leading: The 'bad' side of the community must have been quite huge. Alright, probably I was wrong and you were right: There needs to be a good amount of barricades for the bad guys in order to reduce there number.
But on the other hand I am astonished: Shouldn't simply the disapproval of a great lot of the community be enough of a reason to keep the number of the pirates low?

Posted Image

CyclopsSlayer

CyclopsSlayer

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip

That actually happened in all those games? Although there was no benefit for it?
I wonder how crappy those good guys must have played in order not to be able to prevent that? :huh:

But I see where this is leading: The 'bad' side of the community must have been quite huge. Alright, probably I was wrong and you were right: There needs to be a good amount of barricades for the bad guys in order to reduce there number.
But on the other hand I am astonished: Shouldn't simply the disapproval of a great lot of the community be enough of a reason to keep the number of the pirates low?

The problem is you have to rely on the good will of your higher levels to police things.
Some L40 gankers are trashing your L20 levelers, the L20's call for help. IF your sides L50's are available, online, and willing, they come and make things safe again. However, if it is off peak hours, the L50's are busy raid/pvp or even some ganking of their own, then what do you do but camp out, leave the area, or cower waiting until help arrives or the attackers get bored and move on.

As to the disapproval, HA! Some guilds feed on that and laugh. They'll use the Pirate Merchants, and a Castle on the 3rd continent and be happy ruling over a wasteland. Look at the number of Outlaw towns in L2.

Now if we could lure all those bastards to some out of the way server, say with a full loot or perma death option, then we could run a nice polite war... DIE YOU SCUM SUCKING NUIANS! ROT IN HELL YOU HARI BASTARDS! :lol:

Mithur

Mithur

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

It happens all the time. And is hard to control. You can gank the gankers, but the cost of death for them is a lot lower than the benefits of ganking (Illum in SWTOR, and that's at engame!).

Yes, some barricades/guards are needed to make safe zones for starters, at least. And a strong bias to get a guild very early, too.

It depends. In a game like Ryzom, is exactly as you say. The pressure of the community is enough.

In SWTOR for example, isn't enough. They just say: "If the game allows it, then we do and you suxxx and will gank you to death if we see you in Illum". And most people will say nothing or supoort them. In the forums, people actually gaming is better, but the bad part is there.

I recommend you a visit to the SWTOR forums, for a reality shock :S

Mawnee

Mawnee

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Yep, this is the problem with giving people too much freedom in an anonomous environment. While everyone would like to think the good guys will greatly outnumber and overwhelm the bad. The fact of the matter is that the people that want to be bad don't just want to play as a bad guy. They want to make people angry, they want to ruin the game for as many people as possible, and they want to do so in a way that has very little reprocussions. They get off on doing something that will set you back hours and hours of time, even if there is absolutely nothing in it for them but the lulz.

Just go to youtube and read the comments on any video. That is a prime example of of how twisted a great many people can be when they can hide behind an internet persona.

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators
Trolling pirates :)

Posted Image
This pirate shaved all the sheep at a farm Posted Image

Miyafuji

Miyafuji

Hidoi !

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip

Yep, this is the problem with giving people too much freedom in an anonomous environment. While everyone would like to think the good guys will greatly outnumber and overwhelm the bad. The fact of the matter is that the people that want to be bad don't just want to play as a bad guy. They want to make people angry, they want to ruin the game for as many people as possible, and they want to do so in a way that has very little reprocussions. They get off on doing something that will set you back hours and hours of time, even if there is absolutely nothing in it for them but the lulz.

Just go to youtube and read the comments on any video. That is a prime example of of how twisted a great many people can be when they can hide behind an internet persona.

We know all of that, and that's why we want it. You need to think of own protection, whatever you do you have to.

Also the game must be balanced penalty-wise so what they do to "grief" others has to be risky.

Also, be mindful, we are not 6YO to see the world as good and evil. Everyone is good and everyone is evil, it all goes to personal preferences on different topic, current mental condition, etc. There will be many people doing evil stuff yes. So.. thats why you have me to prevent that. Will you count me as evil if I go and ruin someone day? Yes? Will you do the same if that person was PKing you the whole last week? See how point of view can change only just because you were a part of it and saw something others may not?.....

This is the key of free sandbox MMO game.

Cavarath

Cavarath

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
There is nothing more fun than harass someone that wants to harass others. Because that people are the ones that cant stand such actions but yet deserve to be ganked to a rage quit.
"Recent results of scientific research have shown that the wish of a person to get a ArcheAge beta key is the bigger the lower the post count." - Veryintelligent Person

DrakeJr

DrakeJr

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
Apart from piracy, I could definitely see loads of guilds focused on ships. If that happens I know exactly what I -might- do which is to form a Mercenary crew, basically a ship for hire in Guild war-fare. The highest bidder get a ship with some of the most experienced and battle-ready crew to fight with them on the open seas!!!

aaah.. the possibilities are endless.
Kiss me, I'm swedish.

Cavarath

Cavarath

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Only if they remove the stupid player cap at sieges.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users