Development of ArcheAge began sometime in 2006.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

windows 8.1 or 7 for gaming?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

Alasondra

Alasondra

Community Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Windows 8 is the second biggest POS that ever made it's way onto one of my computers and I regret ever installing it. It's a very nice OS for phones and tablets and a complete disaster for PC's.

"We need to enhance our security..."

Daroff

Daroff

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Windows 8 is the second biggest POS that ever made it's way onto one of my computers and I regret ever installing it. It's a very nice OS for phones and tablets and a complete disaster for PC's.

Read my post which I made just prior to yours if you haven't seen it. =)

Sinned

Sinned

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

windows 8.1 is a nice leap ahead of 7 in terms of back-end performance..  People who say windows 8 is junk have no freaking clue what they are talking about and should stop giving feedback on performance based on the fact they don't like the interface.  It leads users down the wrong path.  With that said, I run 7 right now because I didn't want to run a stolen OS, and I didn't want to reformat every month with the time trialed version.  Once the house purchase goes through and we have some extra money ill be upgrading again.

Alasondra

Alasondra

Community Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Read my post which I made just prior to yours if you haven't seen it. =)

I did. :) That said, the interface is not the only thing I hate about it. It does take my system longer to boot and things take longer to load. There are definitely more resources being used along with the added irritation of everything requiring three more steps to do what used to take one. But, based on the technical experts, I have "no freaking clue", so what's the difference?

If you like it, I'm happy for you and hope it serves you well. OS's will always be subjective to the person using it. I personally think it sucks and is a step backwards from the progress MS had made in developing Win 7. I hope that the next iteration will be developed with the same mindset that gave us Win 7.

"We need to enhance our security..."

Daroff

Daroff

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

I did. :) That said, the interface is not the only thing I hate about it. It does take my system longer to boot and things take longer to load. There are definitely more resources being used along with the added irritation of everything requiring three more steps to do what used to take one. But, based on the technical experts, I have "no freaking clue", so what's the difference?

If you like it, I'm happy for you and hope it serves you well. OS's will always be subjective to the person using it. I personally think it sucks and is a step backwards from the progress MS had made in developing Win 7. I hope that the next iteration will be developed with the same mindset that gave us Win 7.

Then using my knowledge from a systems engineering background I can say that the problem isn't with the OS. The way that Windows 8 is optimized, it actually improved boot times upwards of 7-12 seconds on systems with standard hard drives, and the resource management system had a complete overhaul, lowering usage. The system requirements/reccomendations in order to smoothly run Windows 8 are actually lower than they are to efficiently run Windows 7.

I agree that the standard interface is absolute garbage, but like I said in my previous post, that can be fixed within a matter of several minutes with use of third party software such as ClassicShell and whatnot. You can disable the cloud service and app interface as well and get down to the bare bones of the operating system itself. Once you do that you have your standard Windows interface, with the vastly improved backbone of the operating system.

If you're having troubles running it then I can send you a PM suggesting a few things to optimize your system and resources being used on your computer from programs you have installed if you like. =)