In 2003 Jake Song left NCsoft and created XLGAMES.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Best Publisher for ArcheAge

• Please log in to reply
237 replies to this topic

Arianna

Arianna

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Companies that have not much or no experience running MMOs:
Ubisoft
THQ
2K Games
Paradox Interactive

Even though they don't have much MMO experience, my vote goes to Ubisoft. I become more and more impressed with them as time goes on. They seem to be pretty good at listening to what people want. Just look at all the awesome changes they made going from AC1 to AC2. I think they could definitely do it justice.

I haven't seen many people talk about 2K Games either. Also, unexperienced in MMOs but a good company none the less. They might not be a bad option.

Miyafuji

Miyafuji

Hidoi !

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
Nope I cannot go with Ubisoft. In my memory they are written as the company which-es games are always poorly optimized and a company that is investing money to very much and annoying DRM solutions that annoy the loyal customers. I know the last thing does not apply to MMO games, but still.

I also do not like them listening to the people too much. Don't get me wrong, it is ok to listen if there are issue, I mean technical issues with the game, and such. But it is terribly wrong to listen to the people cry-outs and change the game to be fitting to those who cry and annoy all day. That is what I'm afraid.... could happen.

When I saw any mmo developer listening to a crowd, it was never for good because remember, majority of the crowd are usually not the most clever ones right..... in this case they would serve just as a distributor so ok, but Ubisoft as far as I know is not a distributor of games they do not own.

Enerzeal

Enerzeal

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
CCP would get my vote. They would keep it true to its sandboxness, considering they are the biggest developer/producer of sandbox games right now in the west.
Posted Image

Eligor

Eligor

Has no idea who Miura is...

• Super Moderators
CCP is cool but understaffed and still on kinda lowish budget to support yet another MMO.

Ubisoft is a company that hates having it's games pirated, which results to screwing their loyal customers over, most of the games they sell come with only 3 installs possible, if you use them up then you have to buy the game again. That of course does nothing against piracy as that system is cracked 3 days later and leaves the people who actually bought the game scratching their head and wondering why they bent over in the first place. Also on another note, most of the games Ubisoft has released (apart from Assassin's Creed Revelations but that's a complete copy of the old ones anyway and no new stuff in it) flopped. Heroes of Might and Magic was a huge disappointment for almost everyone who preordered it with bugs and simplified gameplay.

To bash Admin's post about a bit. GOA was dissolved last I heard or officially incorporated into France Telecommunications or whatever (which they were a branch of). As for EnMass, the fact that they have ex-ncsoft employees, and ex-staff from NCwest's Aion team is a huge disadvantage as those people proved time and time again that they are worthless and know nothing about running a game. Just because of the team behind TERA, the game will destroy itself much like Aion. The idea that they are not interested in alpha sales (the people who preorder and such) is comical. All companies who publish MMOs do that, there's one rule that MMOs always follow (WoW being the exception, unfortunately) and that is "Have a good look at your initial player numbers, you will never go past that first week or month". As mentioned earlier, TERA has absolutely nothing to keep people interested in. The politics system is the developers shooting themselves on the foot with a 50cal gun (for those who don't know what that means, a 0.50 bullet will take your leg off at the knee even if you shoot your foot) and not realizing it because of the audience they want to attract and because they forgot the important thing that makes a political system work "Bonding".

Now what I mean with Bonding is that you need something like RF Online did (Anyone who played the game will know what I'm talking about). Where you have 3 factions, each faction has it's guilds all working to undermine eachother but... You also have faction warfare which is needed to progress your faction and take the lead. To do this, each faction needs a group of Archons led by a Race Leader. This works because these leaders actually have to work to improve their faction, they can't simply disappear after ripping people off as there is no way to jump factions and all faction members end up knowing eachother very well as the game itself is all about teamwork as you progress, this means that you can't be an arse or abuse the system. What TERA has is a very simplistic feature, much like Wakfu's where the political system is essentially there as a feature the developers and publishers can brag about.
Let's all pretend there's something really important written here...

Amaterasu

Amaterasu

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Even though they don't have much MMO experience, my vote goes to Ubisoft. I become more and more impressed with them as time goes on. They seem to be pretty good at listening to what people want. Just look at all the awesome changes they made going from AC1 to AC2. I think they could definitely do it justice.

I haven't seen many people talk about 2K Games either. Also, unexperienced in MMOs but a good company none the less. They might not be a bad option.

DRM DRM DRM DRM. Although I have the greatest respect for Michel Ancel's games :(

Would be interesting to see 2K Games handling it though.

GOA was dissolved last I heard or officially incorporated into France Telecommunications or whatever (which they were a branch of).

France telecom = Orange nowadays, but GOA isn't part of it anymore. It was just plainly dissolved.

much like Wakfu's where the political system is essentially there as a feature the developers and publishers can brag about.

Eligor dear, how long have you played Wakfu? Governors in Wakfu have wayyyyyy more power and impact over the country and citizens than the ones in TERA. It's completely different, just from hanging around Wakfu's forums you will see how important elections are for the players.

In Wakfu, a good governor (and his ministers) can make its country rich, and prosper, by handling the economy (since money is printed by players), the climate, the ecology (node ressources and mobs respawn), the laws, the wars, etc etc. Just check this link for a quick summary (http://www.wakfu.com...atures/politics). Tera's system is a joke compared to this.

Kristyana

Kristyana

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Off the top of my head is, Trion, Valve, Ubisoft, and EA.

Music and Rhythm have a way of finding itself into the deepest parts of the soul.

Posted Image

Veasna

Veasna

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
I would like CCP aswell, but tbh, we need them to work on World of Darkness so they need the staff they have for that and maintaining Eve.

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators
Agree with CCP too, they are doing a good job with Eve.

fcwedd

fcwedd

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Anyone but EA and Cryptic.

Shubawks

Shubawks

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
Trion and CCP seem like my top two choices, but Trion seems unlikely, they're very much devoted to RIFT.

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators
And what about Take-Two Interactive?

Since XL Games and Take-Two Interactive already formed a partnership to develop the next Civilization serie game as an MMO.
http://archeage-onli...st/tag/take-two

TaZ

TaZ

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Let me throw in some more possibilities :)

CCP:
Pros: They used to do very good with EVE o_O
They are in trouble with their new game, and look like they are a company who needs cash
They seems willingly to take risk, and have some quite good developers to back up on codeing hickups!
They know a thing or 2 about cluster arcitechture, makeing it possible for more players pr "server"

Cons:
Their economy seems to be going backwerds, they might be needing cash a little too fast
They are developing their own mmorpg at the side, mby they kill archeage off, when their own are ready?
They recently tried to make eve more casual or some BS like that. :(((

Sony Entertainment:
Pros: They have cash
They claim they are trying to make games for the gamers (ya.. SWG.. Cough)
They at times know how to run servers proberly!
After the big PSN hacking scandal, they hopefully got their account servers more secure!
They have a big team of coders for adhoc support!

Cons: They are usualy very greedy, and goes for fast proffit
They allready managed to build up quite a bad rep.
They showed how much a joke network security can be?
They tried to make every game casual, killing off some of their best titles
(hopefully they learned)

Aventurine
Pros:
none that i know off

Cons:^^
Greece is going bankrupt!
Posted Image

Arianna

Arianna

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

And what about Take-Two Interactive?

Since XL Games and Take-Two Interactive already formed a partnership to develop the next Civilization serie game as an MMO.
http://archeage-onli...st/tag/take-two

Sounds good to me. 2K games is part of Take-Two and they're one of the ones I'd like to see publish the game.

Veasna

Veasna

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
@ Taz So in short none of those you really recommend?

I rather have CCP continuing to work on maintaining Eve and work on World of Darkness, as that is the other mmo (next to Arche Age) that i'm looking forward to. And those 2 mmo's are the only ones i'd ever even consider subscribing to simultaniously.

My vote also goes to Take Two.

Branwulf

Branwulf

Crestfallen Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Having an agreement with 2K/Take Two already might mean they could publish it in the West, however they may not be interested in another game or doing a translation/localisation job, or running another MMO. We'll see.

Averrie

Averrie

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
I have no issues with 2K or Take Two
Posted Image

Mawnee

Mawnee

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
The fact that we haven't heard of any potential publishers gives me the impression they already have it sorted. Especially considering they built the game with the western audience in mind. I supsect they have an arrangement with 2k/take two conditioned upon a sucessful launch in asia. Once they launch the game over there and become a sucess(easily), the publisher will go to work to cash in on other markets.

Laetitian

Laetitian

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

The fact that we haven't heard of any potential publishers gives me the impression they already have it sorted. Especially considering they built the game with the western audience in mind. I supsect they have an arrangement with 2k/take two conditioned upon a sucessful launch in asia. Once they launch the game over there and become a sucess(easily), the publisher will go to work to cash in on other markets.

That doesn't sound improbable and I already thought about the same thing. Also, of course I'd love it.
But it would mean they lied. And although noone would really give anything about moral in this case, [Not as though anyone was hurt, it would all be for the better good of the gamers' surprise] this would simply be unusual. Any other company who does that kind of thing [I'm mainly thinking of Bethesda, because they always do that...] would be all secretive about it; but not claim to have nothing going on...

Other than that: I find this 2K idea perfect! And I have another positive fact about them:
When 2K Games published Oblivion in German, the translation was poor. VoiceActing was quite good and of course you understood everything and the language was well, but it had translation-bugs without end.
Now, should they decide to give the company that's supposed to do a translation on ArcheAge the same freedom, that should be done in a few days =D

Well and then I had this idea: Shouldn't we all contact 2k ?
Each individually asking them to have a look at 'that other MMO of XL Games', pretending not to know of each other? I think we could eventually pretend to be a huge mass, if we'd spread those messages over time? =P
I'd really love to do this. In the end it would all be depending on marketing. Oblivion [Sorry, only game I know of them =& ] had quite a good market. Although that might have been on Bethesda's behalf, I can't say.

At any rate, I find this connection between these companies very appealing! =)

Posted Image

Branwulf

Branwulf

Crestfallen Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
You won't get anything out of them or you'll get a no. We probably won't hear anything about the Western publisher into the game is released in Korea.

Miyafuji

Miyafuji

Hidoi !

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip

That doesn't sound improbable and I already thought about the same thing. Also, of course I'd love it.
But it would mean they lied. And although noone would really give anything about moral in this case, [Not as though anyone was hurt, it would all be for the better good of the gamers' surprise] this would simply be unusual. Any other company who does that kind of thing [I'm mainly thinking of Bethesda, because they always do that...] would be all secretive about it; but not claim to have nothing going on...

Other than that: I find this 2K idea perfect! And I have another positive fact about them:
When 2K Games published Oblivion in German, the translation was poor. VoiceActing was quite good and of course you understood everything and the language was well, but it had translation-bugs without end.
Now, should they decide to give the company that's supposed to do a translation on ArcheAge the same freedom, that should be done in a few days =D

Well and then I had this idea: Shouldn't we all contact 2k ?
Each individually asking them to have a look at 'that other MMO of XL Games', pretending not to know of each other? I think we could eventually pretend to be a huge mass, if we'd spread those messages over time? =P
I'd really love to do this. In the end it would all be depending on marketing. Oblivion [Sorry, only game I know of them =& ] had quite a good market. Although that might have been on Bethesda's behalf, I can't say.

At any rate, I find this connection between these companies very appealing! =)

Western publisher =/= the translator!

Publisher takes the game, make boxes, make ratings, advertisement and and sell it trough own chain. That's all. Translation itself must be done by the developer company, or at least they have to cooperate.

I'm still hoping for text-only translation. And off course things like "not enough mana" because saying that in Korean is absurdly long and annoying heh. I don't even know why people play with those announcement voices on. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users