Just so you know, AAS = ArcheAgeSource.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

SoE Shutting Down Vanguard, Free Realms, Wizardry, and Star Wars Clone Wars

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

Kriptini

Kriptini

Community Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Today, SoE announced that they'll be shutting down four of their ongoing MMOs before the middle of the year. Free Realms and Clone Wars will be shutting down on March 31, while Wizardry and Vanguard will be shutting down on July 31.

Reported by PC Gamer:

Sony Online Entertainment has announced that it will be ending support for four ongoing MMORPGs: Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures, Free Realms, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, and Wizardry Online. Free Realms and Clone Wars Adventures servers will shut down on March 31, while Vanguard and Wizardry servers will stop on July 31.
In a statement sent to PC Gamer, Michele Cagle wrote, “At Sony Online Entertainment, we are always evaluating our portfolio to ensure we’re providing players with the best gameplay experiences. At times, as part of this commitment, we have to make the difficult decision to sunset a game so we can refocus our resources on other areas in the best interest of our company and player community.”

The statement references decreasing player counts as a key reason for the shutdowns. Still-active and once-active players have a few months to get back into the game one last time, if they’d like to. It can be a hard, sad thing to say goodbye to a world where you’ve spent a lot of time, even if you’ve since moved on.

SOE President John Smedley will be holding an AMA interview on Reddit at 6 p.m. Eastern today. If you have any questions about the shut downs or SOE’s plans for the future, that would be the time and place.

Alasondra

Alasondra

Community Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

And as expected, Smed wouldn't address anything. Well, Trion really needs to get ArcheAge done and done right as in 6 months, I have no home...

"We need to enhance our security..."

Kriptini

Kriptini

Community Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

And as expected, Smed wouldn't address anything.

What was said in the AMA?

Alasondra

Alasondra

Community Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

When questioned about selling the game/ip, "No. For business reasons I can't get into this isn't possible."

I didn't see him answer any other Vanguard related questions. I stopped following it after the first hour, no need to. He chose to hide in Reddit and avoid his customers on official forums so it's obvious that he doesn't want to hear it or deal with it. He's more concerned with disappointing his little girl tonight when he tells her that FR got cancelled too.

"We need to enhance our security..."

Kriptini

Kriptini

Community Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Hey, FreeRealms was legit. For it's audience, it was awesome. My younger brother played it and had a blast. Of course, it was inherently a niche game, because the age group it targeted was so outside of the normal age range of MMO players, but still, it was fairly balling from what I could tell.

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

Star Wars Galaxies, City of Heroes and now these :o

Thats why im not trusting SOE anymore.

Fido

Fido

Döner Dönater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

RIP Vanguard

Not as buggy as ArcheAge OBT, but too complex for the normal MMORPG player ^^

Let´s Play Archeage - The German Archeage Video Magazine

The German Archeage Knowledge Base v2.0

The German Archeage Crop Report v2.0

"After resigning NCsoft I just chilled at home and my wife did not like it.
One day she said 'go out and play.' So I founded XLGAMES in order to
escape from the grouchiness of my wife and to separate my gamer life
from my wife. And I played World of Warcraft all day at the office"
- Jake Song

Amaterasu

Amaterasu

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

RIP Vanguard

Not as buggy as ArcheAge OBT, but too complex for the normal MMORPG player ^^

Errr, are we comparing ArcheAge OBT to vanilla Vanguard or the latest version? Because vanilla Vanguard is pretty famous for its bugs and one of the worst MMORPG release in history. ArcheAge OBT was damn smooth in comparison.

Fido

Fido

Döner Dönater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Errr, are we comparing ArcheAge OBT to vanilla Vanguard or the latest version? Because vanilla Vanguard is pretty famous for its bugs and one of the worst MMORPG release in history. ArcheAge OBT was damn smooth in comparison.

Latest version of course, still buggy ^^

Let´s Play Archeage - The German Archeage Video Magazine

The German Archeage Knowledge Base v2.0

The German Archeage Crop Report v2.0

"After resigning NCsoft I just chilled at home and my wife did not like it.
One day she said 'go out and play.' So I founded XLGAMES in order to
escape from the grouchiness of my wife and to separate my gamer life
from my wife. And I played World of Warcraft all day at the office"
- Jake Song

Evangelion

Evangelion

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

never played any of those