Development of ArcheAge began sometime in 2006.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What's wrong with ArcheAge, in plain English.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators
Trion Worlds needs our help to figure out what parts of ArcheAge aren't working optimally. Help me develop a comprehensive list of issues that confront ArcheAge players. Help keep it up to date if changes occur. Let's discuss this in a non-confrontational, semi-scientific format.

Please use something similar to the following format when posting, unless discussing something someone else already posted. Screenshots or videos are welcome but can't be easily printed out on paper and shown to someone, so think about that before relying on them too heavily.

Issues with ArcheAge Prior to v1.0
  • Neutering of central gameplay motivation by placing restrictions on player conflict and piracy.
    • Too many PvP-disabled time periods around Liberty Island.
    • Addition of three safe zone islands around Liberty Island.
    • Proliferation of safe zones throughout the world map, including inside towns.
    • Trade risk reduced, stakes are too low for players to feel invested.
    • Too many instanced dungeons where players can farm gear without risk of conflict (PvP) or material loss (crafting gear).
  • Sieges not living up to expectations.
    • Too long between sieges (three weeks).
    • Instanced nature of sieges is nonsensical.
    • Battles often devolve into respawn point camping.
    • Successfully defending or destroying a castle has little impact for most players.
  • NPC Guard AI is not very bright, still manages to interfere in PvP.
  • No item decay, no good gold sink.
Positive Changes with ArcheAge v1.0
  • Class balancing.
  • Some perceived reduction in botting.
  • Increase in prices of items on Mirage Island.
Negative Changes with ArcheAge v1.0
  • Exploration disincentivized. No reward for discovering secret locations.
  • Delphine coins only available through daily quests, no longer possible to acquire through trade rewards.
  • Trade rewards only gold.
  • Stolen trade goods only award the pirate 60% value upon turn-in, the original owner receives 40%. This is nonsensical.
  • Entire peace zone on Northern Continent.
  • Some cash shop items too powerful. Examples:
    • Labor point potions with low cooldowns (4 hours in Russia, none in Korea).
    • Any other obvious examples?
  • Leveling from 50 to 55 relies mostly on uninspiring daily quests.
  • Level 55 players have an extreme power advantage against any characters not at max level (including multiple level 50+ players).
  • Currency changes make the game more cash-shop focused than ever before (need detail).
Prohibited in this thread: discussion of anything other than game mechanics.

Oskar Erien

Oskar Erien

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Issues with Archeage Priot to v1.0: Bows shoot depending on Ping, rather than a fixed global routine.

Positive change with v1.0: Much needed (Kinda) class balance.

Edit:

Negative change with v1.0: Removing the reward for exploring.

Admin Edit: added.

Final272

Final272

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

negative changes with 1.0

-Making dailies quest the "only way" to get delphine coins. (Needs to go back to being a optional trade reward)

Positive with 1.0

-Class balanceing

Admin edit: added.

Edited:

I'm sure there is more positives somewhere that we are overlooking

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

Issues since ever:

• peace times around Liberty island
  • "machinegun skills" (apparently got fixed this week)
  • total ignorance of the sieges

Negatives with 1.0:

• a whole map in full peace on the Northern Continent
  • dailies being the only way to make Delphi Coins
  • only gold rewards from trade runs
  • 60/40 reward from stolen trading goods
  • some overpowered inbalanced CashShop items, LP potions without CD etc.

Inporylem

Inporylem

Donater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
Well a lot of the turnoffs are already listed on Keksx Real Talk thread, but I will list the reason why I gave up with the game, they are pretty much all related to PvP.

Issues with ArcheAge Prior to v1.0

Sieges
-A massive respoint zerg that usually never happens inside the castle that is being sieged.
-Every 3 weeks...
-Instanced
-Sieges has been horrible from the beginning and really few if any guilds give a single f about them. They are not fun even for the pure PvP, nor do they really have any meaning in the at all.

Other
-Every single patch seemed to bring a new safezone spot to the game. Even the small safe zone spots inside the cities have pretty big impact to the game when they are so easily abused. (this is mainly because how idiotic the guards are in the game, I actually have a video about this, but can't find it atm)

-I don't know whose idea it was to add those 3 guarded islands around liberty island. It broke it like nothing else. I wasn't enough to have 2 respoints in the island they actually added islands where people could go unload their cargo safely and transport packs one by one to the liberty island if they so wanted.

-Lack of risk on anything.....else than RNG crafting. (1.0 taking the risk further away with the changes to trading.)

-Faction balance is horrible. Playermade factions didn't fix anything since no one is making playermade factions due the pure badness of the territory control. 2 sided forced faction style of PvP is the most boring and the most horrible way of implementing PvP.

-There are literally hundreds of small changes they have made during the year they might not seem big when you just think about one of them, but together they make quite big difference. For example seeing your ship in the map, it has a huge impact on PvP. That's just one example of every single change they have done to squeeze turds on PvP.
-How I saw ArcheAge in the beginning instanced had nearly no impact on the game at all. Nowadays even though the crafted gear is still the best as far as I know the RNG crafting mean most of the people will still be wearing instance gear and that will mean weeks of running in instances and farming for gear. Another nail to the coffin of the sandpark lovers. (Thought you can now just make money through the cash shop and buy everything with €$ yippeee.

-The amount of bots has decreased a lot, I don't know if this is because they have implemented a new system to detect them or what is going on. This can also happen because of the popularity of the game has gone down a lot less botting is needed to keep the stashes filled with gold.

Negative Changes with ArcheAge v1.0

-Journey from 50 to 55 is pure grind of dailies there is no way around it even the grindy Koreans I know from the guild I played hate it.

- If the game was a oneshot paradise before 1.0 I don't even know what to call it anymore. The new skills are horribly balanced and the level difference of players is just like day and night. So basically you are forced to grind for weeks to get yourself to lvl55 until you can start playing the game as a PvPer. This just makes the game feel like 100% theme park when all the content revolves around levels and gear.

-Every single change they did to the currencies in ArcheAge. It now also revolves around cash shop.
-I really think ArcheAge qualifies even for the sandpark title anymore.

tl;dr
I'm really too burned out to list all the crap that has happened to the game since it won't really make any difference at this point. I would still recommend ArcheAge for anyone who enjoys typical them park games and even for the sandbox lovers. I'm not one of them I only like the pvp sandbox part which means I can run around in a big world and do what I want, there is none of that left really. You are forced to grind yourself to death trying to get better gear and wealth. How I saw old sandbox games wealth meant cool clothing and houses, it didn't ahve anything to do how much damage you did in combat.

It's hard to believe that making ArcheAge a theme park was attempt to get more players since all it did was to make it loose shitloads of players. Hard to say what they tried to accomplish with it.

MaximumDOGE

MaximumDOGE

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Can we add something about Pirates, specifically how it forces you to forfeit access to the literally everything but one small island, or how it takes weeks to return to normal status.

Also, I dislike dailies.

Rugrin

Rugrin

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Uh.. Never played. But i seem to recall a few of you talking about the added amounts of respawn points. Which took alot away from PvP. Not sure if that was pre 1.0 or 1.0. But i think they should be adjusted to make PvP feel more alive instead of a respawn fest. Just less Respawn points :D

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators

Can we add something about Pirates, specifically how it forces you to forfeit access to the literally everything but one small island, or how it takes weeks to return to normal status.

Also, I dislike dailies.

That's how piracy has always been and I think the messaging has always been clear: pirates are outlaws and regular NPCs will not deal with them.

MaximumDOGE

MaximumDOGE

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

That's how piracy has always been and I think the messaging has always been clear: pirates are outlaws and regular NPCs will not deal with them.

Then it needs to be significantly easier to return to normal status.

Final272

Final272

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Then it needs to be significantly easier to return to normal status.

The problem with that is once ur a pirate u get a lot of delphine coins and gold.. Making it easier to return to normal status means pirates have an advantage as fair as enomic standings.. It needs to be hard to return to normal status otherwise pirates will have a huge advantage

(would be nice to add some suggestions to this fourm post :3)

MaximumDOGE

MaximumDOGE

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

The problem with that is once ur a pirate u get a lot of delphine coins and gold.. Making it easier to return to normal status means pirates have an advantage as fair as enomic standings.. It needs to be hard to return to normal status otherwise pirates will have a huge advantage

(would be nice to add some suggestions to this fourm post :3)

Apparently not, from what I have heard, traders have little incentive to go on trades that would expose them to pirates. Making the available targets few and far between. Additionally, apparently pirates only receive a portion of the loot they have captured from traders. 

Once again, from I what have heard the Korean community has resoundingly decided that it is far from worthwhile to forfeit access to 99% of the game.

Taevia

Taevia

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

In regards to the 60/40 on stolen trade goods:

Prior to 1.0, when a pirate stole your packs and traded them in, they got 100% of the profit from whatever kind of pack it was and you, the crafter, received nothing. 

After 1.0, when a pirate steals your packs and trades them in, you, the crafter, always receive 40% of the profit from the pack and the pirate receives only 60%.

This change made the pirate life look a lot less thrilling...and made trading way less risky. And, if you were extremely lazy, you could leave your packs anywhere in the world and just let random people trade them in for you, since you would still receive 40% of the profit from each.

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators
Thank you for the clarification.

JohnnyViscerate

JohnnyViscerate

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Locked factions. This doesn't really have much to do with 1.0 or anything but I am really sick of the Horde vs. Alliance, Republic vs. Empire, Good vs. Evil stuff. I like the freedom to choose, it makes a game more dynamic and real to me. Plus my wife wants to play ferre and I want to play elf... one of us is going to be very disappointed. 

I just want the ability to build and lose rep with factions on my own.

AASIG_zpsef3abc8c.jpg

Final272

Final272

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Locked factions. This doesn't really have much to do with 1.0 or anything but I am really sick of the Horde vs. Alliance, Republic vs. Empire, Good vs. Evil stuff. I like the freedom to choose, it makes a game more dynamic and real to me. Plus my wife wants to play ferre and I want to play elf... one of us is going to be very disappointed. 

I just want the ability to build and lose rep with factions on my own.

they do have player made factions that you can join and it doesn't matter what race you are either..so at the start you will have to settle for an npc faction.. Afterwards though once a guild has created a faction you can join theirs to avoid that problem.. they also provide advantages for people who join player factions...

JohnnyViscerate

JohnnyViscerate

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Thats true but player factions are very hard to form. I wouldn't be able to play along side my friends for quite a while. That or I can play a race I dont want for my first play through.

AASIG_zpsef3abc8c.jpg

Luxeraph

Luxeraph

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

they do have player made factions that you can join and it doesn't matter what race you are either..so at the start you will have to settle for an npc faction.. Afterwards though once a guild has created a faction you can join theirs to avoid that problem.. they also provide advantages for people who join player factions...

Maybe I'm wrong but didn't you need to own a territory in order to being able to make a faction and if you ever lost the territory you would also lose the faction status and all the hard work(and losts of money) that were needed to make it?

JohnnyViscerate

JohnnyViscerate

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Im unclear on the specifics but the last I remember the player faction required destroying all the pve content in the game pretty much. Thats going to take a while. Its probably changed since then. I prefer the pk war over the faction war.

AASIG_zpsef3abc8c.jpg

Fido

Fido

Döner Dönater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

-The amount of bots has decreased a lot, I don't know if this is because they have implemented a new system to detect them or what is going on. This can also happen because of the popularity of the game has gone down a lot less botting is needed to keep the stashes filled with gold.

Do you wanna know the reason?

Mobs don´t drop anything anymore.

No money, no items, no stuff, nothing except quest items and those moneybags you can open by using labor.

Killed 50 mobs.

48 times nothing

2 times moneybag

That´s it. Why bot when there is absolutely no drop at all? ^^

Conquer and FW are ready for the russian version! This is an issue Mail.ru  should take care of.... now!

Let´s Play Archeage - The German Archeage Video Magazine

The German Archeage Knowledge Base v2.0

The German Archeage Crop Report v2.0

"After resigning NCsoft I just chilled at home and my wife did not like it.
One day she said 'go out and play.' So I founded XLGAMES in order to
escape from the grouchiness of my wife and to separate my gamer life
from my wife. And I played World of Warcraft all day at the office"
- Jake Song

Tillaz

Tillaz

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

• Level 55 players have an extreme power advantage. PvP isn't worth engaging in unless you're at max level. (Need examples.)

On 올로(Ollo) there are a few level 55 east players that camp one of the now popular trade routes from 솔즈리드 반도(Solzrid Plains) -> 긴 모래톱(Long Sands), and one of them can take on 2~4 level 50~53 players without issues, the power spike at level 55 is just insane.

wRje3WM.jpg

Korea: Level 55 Battle Mage (마법/철벽/환술) | 폭주 | 안탈론

Pictures from my Archeage adventure | Cross Guild Event