In 2003 Jake Song left NCsoft and created XLGAMES.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pay to Play, VS Item Store F2P

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

Poll: Pay to Play, VS Item Store F2P (159 member(s) have cast votes)

Which do you Prefer

1. Pay to Play! (141 votes [88.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 88.68%

2. Item Store F2P (18 votes [11.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.32%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Hazujin

Hazujin

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Riot games made me respect F2P games thanks to it's amazing customer service and maintenance regarding League of Legends. Indeed, LoL isn't an MMORPG, but it has more players than most of those, and servers are usually placed under a lot of pressure.

Truly, the issue isn't the payment method, it's how the company decides to apply it's F2P policy. Most modern companies making F2P games use the "free to play" motto to attract players and then flood them with hidden fees or must buy items. But as I said, the issue is with the company itself.

If XL Games adopts a F2P policy, they would probably keep their item mall reasonable and offer correct customer service same as Riot games. Yet again, Riot games is an exception... P2P stays by far more reliable.

Eligor

Eligor

Has no idea who Miura is...

• Super Moderators
Cash Shop is on the whim of the publisher, unless the license agreement states otherwise. So whether the cash shop may be fair or balanced is usually up to how desperate the publisher is for money.

Riot Games has an OK-ish F2P model going with League of Legends but the game isn't that hard to maintain and churning out a new champion every other month isn't that hard, it took them ages to even release a new map though. Not had any experience with customer support but the report options ingame seem to be there so people can "nerfrage" using reports rather than ingame.
Let's all pretend there's something really important written here...

Zdzisiu

Zdzisiu

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
P2P is best what can be done.
F2P should be called P2W (Pay to Win)

Shaigh

Shaigh

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Definitely P2P. If the game is good enough 10-15 euro per month is nothing.

winterleaf

winterleaf

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

GW is no MMO and GW2 is going to B2PF2P.

What? GW2 is going to have the exact same business model as GW1.

Zil

Zil

Just Do It

• Members
  • PipPipPip

What? GW2 is going to have the exact same business model as GW1.

Yes, and GW's model is not Free to play. You must buy the box and have a license or the serial of your purchase in order to create your account. It's system is clearer when called "No monthly fee's after initial payment".

Posted Image

winterleaf

winterleaf

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Yes, and GW's model is not Free to play. You must buy the box and have a license or the serial of your purchase in order to create your account. It's system is clearer when called "No monthly fee's after initial payment".

No one said it was F2P.

Daimyo

Daimyo

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
This is kind of a silly poll. If you looked at what they are already offering... this would never become a F2P. They are offering the player tons of content that most MMOs dont get to by their 3rd expansion with one of the best engines. Not to mention that they have 60 million invested (10 million personally from XL). A F2P system would break this game and all its beautiful attractiveness.

Id like to think of all F2P (especially item/upgrade markets) as a common saying, "you get what you pay for". Rarely you will be astonished if you have already experienced a great P2P game. Its hard to settle for something thats been done better. Sometimes out of the mix I am surprised though.

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
but some f2p mmos are not all that bad for example i play dream of mirror another f2p i met some really nice people on there and no i did not see any immature players online but that doesn't mean you should think that f2p games are worthless just give them a chance this is my opinion though also some of you have jobs right? and you can just ignore the cash shops. btw i'm new here my name is avatar 12

Entaro

Entaro

Professional Strawberry Thief

• Super Moderators
Welcome to ArcheAgeSource Avatar12! Enjoy your stay! :D

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Welcome to ArcheAgeSource Avatar12! Enjoy your stay! :D

thanks i'm not going to get my hopes up that archeage is f2p i know better then that but it would be nice if it is since all the good mmos like blade and soul and the secret world also tera online are going p2p what's the mmo world coming to?

Shinaji

Shinaji

The Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip

thanks i'm not going to get my hopes up that archeage is f2p i know better then that but it would be nice if it is since all the good mmos like blade and soul and the secret world also tera online are going p2p what's the mmo world coming to?

Nothing, it's always been like that.
"As instanced dungeons became popular, the whole world of MMORPGs became an entrance lobby to instanced dungeons. In my opinion, today’s MMORPGs are like theme parks – guaranteed fun with limited choices." ~ Jake Song

“Great ideas are often opposed by violent reactions of mediocre minds.” ~ Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Drul

Drul

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Yeah I am really really hoping for P2P without cash shops (apart from maybe server transfer , undelete of old deleted character ,etc , no in game items).

Yeah welcome avatar12 o/

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
thanks it's great to be here what's @drul what's so bad about ingame items?

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators
Some items give unnatural advantages, so people who buy them are buying success instead of earning it through skill. ;)

Drul

Drul

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
@avatar12

Well item shops are not necessarily bad by themselves. They do fit in some games. I just strongly believe that from player experience perspective , cash shop won't fit and certainly it would decrease my game experience in AA. I played games with item shops as well , and seen many types of item shops. I just believe that it won't fit AA and I won't play AA if it would go f2p with item shop.

ArcheAge just with all features it will bring like crafting system with Labor Points , open housing with many houses, open world with exploration , support for guilds and teritorial control , jail system ,sailing and many more- I believe this experience would not be very pleasureable if many f.e. houses was able to purcharse in item shop , that you could buy labor points or out of jail in cash shop, that best ships would be in item store, etc

I think AA is a game that can provide such fun , complex gameplay and illusion of "living world" that balance of all of this would be destroyed by item shop :(

So really really I want P2P experience - it is much more even for players and don't interfere with immersion.

Item Shop are not bad for games like for example League of Legends but I believe ArcheAge is kind of game that Item Shop would not fit nicely from player perspective at least.

Cepherit

Cepherit

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
Personally, I hate the F2P model, generally item stores. It gives an unfair advantage to the ones that want to "cheat" their way to progression, since many players don't even have a credit card.

I have a credit card and I have NEVER bought ANYTHING off a item-store in a F2P game.

P2P is the best solution and always will be. So, please XLGames, do NOT make this F2P and don't put an item store in it!
Posted Image

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
in other words players should work hard just playing the game instead of buying things from items shops like cheating right? okay well let's say that archeage does go f2p without a chash shop would that be fair to the players?

Drul

Drul

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
There are no f2p games without cash shops. It is way f2p earn money.

Bangkok

Bangkok

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
I am 99% for P2P. Everyone has pretty much hit on why it is "better" to pay to play.

F2P would only work properly depending on what is being sold in the shop. If it is just accessories that do nothing to improve upon the Characters pvp stats then to me that is crap. That is a waste of money and time.

The only way F2P would work for ME, is if they sold EXP bonus items. I do not like to grind endlessly and mindlessly. Give me a Double, Triple or Quad XP bonus so I do not have to spend years leveling a toon for PvP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users