In 2003 Jake Song left NCsoft and created XLGAMES.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Trion CM confirms F2P ArcheAge coming to Americas and Europe this year

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

ArcheAge RSS Bot

ArcheAge RSS Bot

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

aarowboats.jpg

Trion community manager Evan "Scapes" Berman has announced that ArcheAge's western alpha will expand in the weeks following GDC. In a post on AA's early-adopter fansite ArcheAge Source, Berman explained that pre-launch beta packages will be offered which grant closed beta access, and he confirmed that the fantasy sandbox will feature a free-to-play business model and launch "in the Americas and Europe this year, 2014."

While he didn't address the controversial and game-changing 1.0 patch that developer XLGAMES has already pushed live in Korea, Berman did emphasize ArcheAge's sandbox features. "Both Trion Worlds and XLGAMES want ArcheAge to be a free-to-play sandbox that fits our 'no tricks, no traps' vision and will make development decisions to achieve that goal in Trion's territories."

Finally, Berman said that Trion plans to offer cash shop items that "provide solid value and fun, while earned and crafted items are objectively superior."

feedlogo.gif

Source: AASource

View the full article...

GuardianAngle

GuardianAngle

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Even though it says free to play, I still assume they would have premium option like RU. I really doubt they could have f2p AND no pay2win cash shop

dByvMLF.png

Fox Soul

Fox Soul

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

maybe we are going to have a similar f2p like Rift? Im really excited for the next friday. ^^

gLtnf2V.png

Thank you Sureikan!

Inporylem

Inporylem

Donater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

So f2p with box sales :D?

Hanthos

Hanthos

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
"Early Supporter" packs.

abahnur

abahnur

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

dem supporter packs.

liberator48

liberator48

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

"Finally, Berman said that Trion plans to offer cash shop items that "provide solid value and fun, while earned and crafted items are objectively superior.""

No matter what items they are, in-game shops are always a bane on any game... it's a slippery slope to a desolated game. That idea is not going to last, it won't be long before they will put items in the shop that you can buy that will make you win the entire game instantly, it's always what happens.

When you see a player in game who has cool stuff you want to think to yourself "Oh hey that guy has played a lot and done some cool things in the game" not "Oh hey that player has a lot of money in real life"

In game shops are total bullcrap and has no place whatsoever in any game, ever.

I am seriously second thinking putting my time and effort into this game which is already doomed before it's even launched, thanks to the *shudder* free to play model. But then every other game nowadays has this horseshit as well because games nowadays are developed by money-grubbing bigwigs in suits and not passionate, creative minds who like adventure and fun.

Kriptini

Kriptini

Community Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

"Finally, Berman said that Trion plans to offer cash shop items that "provide solid value and fun, while earned and crafted items are objectively superior.""

No matter what items they are, in-game shops are always a bane on any game... it's a slippery slope to a desolated game. That idea is not going to last, it won't be long before they will put items in the shop that you can buy that will make you win the entire game instantly, it's always what happens.

When you see a player in game who has cool stuff you want to think to yourself "Oh hey that guy has played a lot and done some cool things in the game" not "Oh hey that player has a lot of money in real life"

I am seriously second thinking putting my time and effort into this game which is already doomed before it's even launched, thanks to the *shudder* free to play model. But then every other game nowadays has this horseshit as well because games nowadays are developed by money-grubbing bigwigs in suits and not passionate, creative minds who like adventure and fun.

Slippery slope arguments are logical fallacies. Try again.

Alasondra

Alasondra

Community Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

The only way it will ever stop is when people quit spending money in them. Eventually enough people will abandon these failed schemes and those that are no longer making the money will find some other industry to pilfer. Maybe then we can get back to the business of making quality games for gamers, not investment groups.

"We need to enhance our security..."

Kriptini

Kriptini

Community Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

The only way it will ever stop is when people quit spending money in them. Eventually enough people will abandon these failed schemes and those that are no longer making the money will find some other industry to pilfer. Maybe then we can get back to the business of making quality games for gamers, not investment groups.

It is foolish to think that a game is of lower quality just because it is F2P instead of P2P. Look at FF14. That game sucks. Even EQ2 beats it, and that game has been a train wreck since SF.

Doom

Doom

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip

I have no issues with the F2P cash shop model unless its p2w. P2P or Cash shop? Its up to Trion to decide, a business needs to make money.

I see nothing wrong with people spending money to support what they like.

Zeus007

Zeus007

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

"Free-to-Win" games that go under the guise of "Free-to-Play" have proven to be some of the best, if not the best, models for maximizing profit margins. It allows for marketing to cast their net over a broader demographic. (i.e which means more potential money coming in!) I will concede that long-term sustainability is debatable with this model but let's not be upset or even surprised if the game ends up like this. 

Gamers, in general, are a very predictable demographic and unless that changes I don't see why game developers should stop exploiting that.

That's just my two cents. 

rjUto40.gif?1

Alasondra

Alasondra

Community Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

"Free-to-Win" games that go under the guise of "Free-to-Play" have proven to be some of the best, if not the best, models for maximizing profit margins. It allows for marketing to cast their net over a broader demographic. (i.e which means more potential money coming in!) I will concede that long-term sustainability is debatable with this model but let's not be upset or even surprised if the game ends up like this. 

Gamers, in general, are a very predictable demographic and unless that changes I don't see why game developers should stop exploiting that.

That's just my two cents. 

I agree with you almost 100%. The problem is just that the longer it gets drawn out, the longer it will take to get back to the basics of building high quality games versus high quality gamer traps.

"We need to enhance our security..."

Zeus007

Zeus007

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

I agree with you almost 100%. The problem is just that the longer it gets drawn out, the longer it will take to get back to the basics of building high quality games versus high quality gamer traps.

I can totally understand where you're coming from!  

Personally, I'd like to believe there's a way to implement a "balanced" Cash Shop model without corrupting game play mechanics. 

There are so many benefits to this model.... if... done right. You know what I mean?

ArcheAge is one of those . . ."Shut Up and Take my Money!" type games. lol

rjUto40.gif?1

Fox Soul

Fox Soul

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

You can see Guild Wars 2. 1 year and a half and they didnt put in their cash shop ANY item that give you an advantage. They just sell RNG boxes with crap ( and a very very very rare item that give you a bank or Store for use it everywhere), infinite gathering tools ( a normal gathering tool cost 4 silver and have around 100 uses ), cloth skins, toys ( instruments, toy swords... ) and other pointless things. And by the NCsoft reports, they are very very profitable.

gLtnf2V.png

Thank you Sureikan!

ToberGas

ToberGas

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip

I don't wanna be against girls, but GW2 is girly game. GW2 end game look like, who has most beautiful and colorful outfit WINS.

Fox Soul

Fox Soul

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

I don't wanna be against girls, but GW2 is girly game. GW2 end game look like, who has most beautiful and colorful outfit WINS.

Gw2 endgame isnt in gear. Is go to WvsW and fight for your server. Gw2 doesnt have endgame because is something new ( and boring ) every 2 weeks. 

But money talks. And Gw2 talks a lot.

gLtnf2V.png

Thank you Sureikan!

Kuro1n

Kuro1n

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Gw2 endgame isnt in gear. Is go to WvsW and fight for your server. Gw2 doesnt have endgame because is something new ( and boring ) every 2 weeks. 

But money talks. And Gw2 talks a lot.

Not really... Lineage 1 still beats it by far in revenue. .__.;