Jake Song's real name is Song Jae-kyeong.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pre-GDC Interview with Scott Hartsman on MMORPG.com

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

Scapes

Scapes

Community Member

• Developers
  • PipPip
Looking for a pre-GDC glimpse into how things are progressing on our side of the water? Look no further than Trion Worlds CEO Scott Hartsman's new interview on MMORPG.com.

ArcheAge-Trion3_t.jpg

MMORPG.com: Let’s talk about something a little near and dear to current ArcheAge players who are on the Korean client. There seem to be some strong opinions with some of the changes to the game made with 1.0, which emphasized more themepark than sandbox elements. Can you comment on this?

Scott Hartsman: Happy to. ArcheAge’s sandbox elements have always been the core gameplay that attracted us to the game as well. There were a number of changes that have been received really well, and a couple that have definitely been contentious. After seeing the release from the outside, then going to Korea to meet with the team at XLGames, we got a much better understanding of what was going on.

As with all MMOs, a post-launch content release was planned. That content did release as a part of version 1.0. At the same time, in Korea they had discovered economic issues that needed addressing in one of the core sandbox systems, Trading (also known as Commerce).

While they do genuinely want to be pushing the sandbox elements forward prominently, they had to double-back and make some economic fixes to that system. At the same time, they went ahead and released the post-launch content update. The combination of doing those things at the same time can absolutely cause people to misinterpret the intent – Content moved forward, sandbox didn’t.

The teams at XL assured us that the sandbox elements remain a huge priority to them, that they value them over all else, and they’ll be able to push them to the forefront in future updates in the different regions. As we saw with the Russia release, XL prominently did push on Sandbox/PvP enhancements to the game with custom vehicles, and a nod to how important PvP is to them, being true to their word when it comes to what’s important to different audiences.

As for the western version, XL has been extremely supportive of our requests when it comes to ensuring ArcheAge is genuinely the premiere, AAA sandbox in the west. We’ll be getting into more of those details as the game gets through its alpha and beta.

Enjoy!
"Nothing reveals humanity so well as the games it plays."

KeksX

KeksX

Community Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

No Lv55-Dungeon sounds like no mandatory dailies, too. I like it. Also hearing again that Cash Shop will not hold P2W items gives a little bit more security that this will be indeed the case.

Hopefully we will get more stuff like this throughout the GDC!

RU Info: Server 4, ТАЯН, Zerus / Tiamat, Almost Russian

EU Guild: Aurorian Empire | http://aurorian-empire.eu/

What You Should Know About ArcheAge! http://archeagesourc...about-archeage/

(Discontinued) Korean Retail and PTR News! http://archeagesourc...etail-ptr-news/ http://archeagesourc...l-general-news/

English Guides and Tutorials List by LlexX! http://archeagesourc...st-to-archeage/

Alasondra

Alasondra

Community Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

So far, so good...

"We need to enhance our security..."

Inporylem

Inporylem

Donater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

>The pace has accelerated drastically in recent months

>Last Updated On: 02/26/14

I kinda got the impression they would be releasing the game with 1.0 from the previous interviews. That's a great marketing plan to not do it for the obvious reasons.

Zev

Zev

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Ty scapes for actually bringing us this information, instead of us having to find out on our own. Much appreciated.

IceD

IceD

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

*fingers crossed*

Don't dissapoint us, Trion!

Bittersweet14

Bittersweet14

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Ty Scapes! Looking forward to more!

*cough* alpha invite *cough*

But seriously, great to see Trion moving forward. :)

Ghuton

Ghuton

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Thanks Sir.

Requiem

Requiem

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Sounds like Trion is gonna wait on the 1.0 patch till it's fleshed out more. Sounds like goods news to me.

Thanks Scapes, this is the first time a CM has actually posted relevant news around here. 

Valadhiel

Valadhiel

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Thanks for the update, Scapes.  Interesting stuff.

Vibe

Vibe

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

I thought you had some power in choosing what parts of 1.0 the EU/NA game will have. But from those words I can only decipher "don't worry, we won't release the game before XL fixes 1.0 in all regions", which can mean just about anything, from waiting forever for XL to make 1.0 sandboxy, to EU/NA release before they manage to do anything worthy with 1.0, to XL games "fixing" 1.0 in the way that it's still unfitting for western/sandbox crowd.

Right, I know you say XL games realizes the problems and that their direction is sandbox, I'm just sceptical. They've made some horrible decisions so far. Who knows how they'll fix 1.0 or make future updates? What happens if XL games direction of future patches is not up to par with Western/sandbox standard you (and the community) imagined? Can you actually choose which parts of updates will the EU/NA version get, or does the patch come as a bundle and we'll have to put up with every stupid change XL thinks of?

While they do genuinely want to be pushing the sandbox elements forward prominently, they had to double-back and make some economic fixes to that system. At the same time, they went ahead and released the post-launch content update.  The combination of doing those things at the same time can absolutely cause people to misinterpret the intent – Content moved forward, sandbox didn’t. 

How did we misinterpret this? Are you actually saying that XL games wanted to make the game sandboxy, but only released the themepark changes of the supposed sandbox update? That sounds like an outright lie. Clearly XL games wanted to push out the changes to make the game more themepark, to (try to) appeal to asian crowd. Or are you saying that daily quests were planned as part of the sandbox (I don't see how that makes sense)?

Vibe <United Nations> (Magic/Conjury/Will) on Джин

Bastor

Bastor

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Oh Trion finally started working on running the game?

After seeing all the money mail.ru got out of it?

Imho the only reason Trion even got the ArcheAge licence is to keep it from getting published in NA/EU and stealing rift players (because of the slight similarities in the way character classes are chosen).

They stood on the licence for 2 years and now they started working? Oh my, oh me.

Screw those greedy bastards.

Honestly.

Kriptini

Kriptini

Community Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Oh Trion finally started working on running the game?

After seeing all the money mail.ru got out of it?

Imho the only reason Trion even got the ArcheAge licence is to keep it from getting published in NA/EU and stealing rift players (because of the slight similarities in the way character classes are chosen).

They stood on the licence for 2 years and now they started working? Oh my, oh me.

Screw those greedy bastards.

Honestly.

2/10, try to be less obvious with your troll posts

Kuro1n

Kuro1n

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Well that didn't sound too bad, hopefully we will not be disappointed but I am not dumb enough to start hoping that this will become the second coming of Jesus yet, gotta wait for the release and hopefully a lot of good decisions for that.

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators
Whole thing sounds like it was written down beforehand, is this a transcription or an interpretation?

Anyhow, my interview's on Wednesday. Should be fun.

Nevin

Nevin

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Whole thing sounds like it was written down beforehand, is this a transcription or an interpretation?

Like their other "announcements" haven't?  ;) 

Can't wait for the real interview. 

Valadhiel

Valadhiel

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Looking forward to that, Admin. :)

Final272

Final272

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

I am also looking forward to reading it tomorrow after i get home from work.... please tell them to get rid of dallies and by the first post from scapes i got really high hopes..

Ezenkrul87

Ezenkrul87

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Well hopefully they do not release 1.0 until it is worked a lot more in NA, that would be great. Not to mention it might help with the game being released sooner as they will not have to worry about implementing 1.0. 

Bastor

Bastor

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

2/10, try to be less obvious with your troll posts

Troll posts?

What?

I'm not trolling I'm pissed off at trion for sitting on the licence for 2 sodding years and not doing ANYTHING.

Now that they see the game making money in Russia they started whining to XLGames for IP bans and actually started working on it.

It's sodding obvious that they were intentionally sitting on the licence for FAR too long without working on it and spending their time on that flop Defiance.