XLGAMES' first creation was a racing MMO called XL1.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hariharans

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Wanderer

Wanderer

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Based on the taglines the official site's English mirror has up right now, I'm guessing that the only difference between Hariharans and Nuians are that Nuians are more religious, devoted people, where Hariharans are more the explorer type--probably more prone to being pirates than Nuians (but that's really for the playerbase to determine).

The Hariharans also seem to be a little more Eastern/Oriental in basic selectable character features, and their villages look very Eastern or Middle Eastern as well, whereas the Nuians are shown in very Anglo-like silver armor with European-style huts featured in their little race-teaser here.

I'm pretty positive that my main character will be either Hariharan or Ferres... I do like the Ferres concept but I think after a while the feet would really start to bug me. >.> Dunno yet though. We'll see. I tend to really solidify my options once I'm allowed to tinker around in the character creation module.

Look at the race teaser image for Hariharans here.

The ArcheAge RP Community:

Posted Image

Miyafuji

Miyafuji

Hidoi !

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
I will have to play Harrian girl. The reason is quite clear, I like the cute characters. One would say the higher the kawaiii ratio is, the bigger the chance I will play it. Off course there must be no big flaw in the way, but I see none so far, not even a little one.

As it comes to culture/architecture and such I will have to get in the game and see first. I would not really bother comparing it to something real as it is not. I first saw it and I told myself " huh? Those Persian-like building but the characters absolutely do not fit to it. " But then I saw the far-east architecture-like one, and just when I was starting to think "that's more like it" I saw them use heavy plate armor parts which none of those cultures used ever, they are more like European-medieval-ish. So there is no place for logic or finding similarities with something real and basing some basic marks around that. No, just not....

I just really like those characters. And that is very important to me. I need to like my character to be happy playing. I have to enjoy playing it and all that long-term. I can be in a status of playing a character years and it is still not boring for me, I still like my character. With the way how Archeage skills are working there is is even less likely to hit a clone, etc.

As it comes to role-playing aspects of my character, I always create is as I like it. Push it the way I want and only after that I create the juice story around it, to fit it perfectly. I use the story to explain my choice, my path and my way of thinking. I never do that first, and then modify my character to fit the role. No no, that would be bad, that would not guarantee me liking it. I prefer fitting the role to my character which comes first, and that way things are going to be the most fun. And so, I don't know yet, I do not have my character yet in my hands, thus I do not have a story. Off course some history and whereabouts are already in my head but.... Its not for this topic for sure.....

Xzen Corvus

Xzen Corvus

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
Still waiting on more info on "The Returned". Pretty sure that will be my race of choice if it's playable.

Posted Image

Wanderer

Wanderer

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Hariharan character creation. <3 I'm sold--but will continue to hope that the character creation options will expand a lot more than what they're at in CBT4. I'm sure they will though.

It does seem that of the available faces right now, the Hariharans are designed to be more oriental in appearance than anglo.

Posted Image

invidelis

invidelis

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
ood videos ..and yes i belive that they are working on more customization options ...since the ferre only have like 2 skins/3 hair types (and those are the new once) while the Nuin have like a dozen types of hair and stuff.

And as this game is still in cbt and also not beeing close to get released in europe/America i would be realy wondering if they won't add some more stuff.

surman

surman

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
I'll try to write in english as good as i can, just to ask something that has been bothering me since i watched the character creation...

isn't suposed to be warriors, not children?

i loved the idea, but the characters are too young and cute, they don't look like fighters. all well dressed like in disneyworld,
they are based on oriental imperial cultures but all look like teenagers worried about their looking, i hope that in the future you could make an older character, or
something more rude and real, until now they are too emotional.

Eligor

Eligor

Has no idea who Miura is...

• Super Moderators
Are we talking about the same MMO, nothing childish about the male ferre. The human races might feel kinda cutesy but it's better than a buttugly character like the ones you could make in... let's say Mass Effect or something.
Let's all pretend there's something really important written here...

Wanderer

Wanderer

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
I'll bet that more facial hair options will be added--that usually helps the whole "mature" look. As far as "cutesy" goes, that's sort of how I like my characters. I want to look like a teen k-pop star. ᄏᄏᄏᄏᄏᄏ

It's just an aesthetic I prefer. I think on another race I saw facial contour options that add shading or wrinkles here and there. At least I think it was in ArcheAge. Technically, you can go through the game without having to fight, if you don't want to, so I think it's alright that not everyone looks warrior-like. I know I'll probably spend a good deal of time in this game basically building and gathering, exploring and planting. Granted, I'm sure I'll also run around and look for the occasional fight, but my character, when RPed, probably won't be a gung-ho warrior type anyway.

Posted Image

Miyafuji

Miyafuji

Hidoi !

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip

I'll try to write in english as good as i can, just to ask something that has been bothering me since i watched the character creation...

isn't suposed to be warriors, not children?

i loved the idea, but the characters are too young and cute, they don't look like fighters. all well dressed like in disneyworld,
they are based on oriental imperial cultures but all look like teenagers worried about their looking, i hope that in the future you could make an older character, or
something more rude and real, until now they are too emotional.

Only Harians are by now the "cute race" Be mindful that they are not "based" of any culture. They pretty much mix everything and I find them my choice, because I do like this "moe" style character... as an otaku and huge anime-fan that is very normal. Those characters are pretty much fan-service for people like me, and I like that. If you don't, please play other race and do not fuss in to mine. Thank you. It is OK to have own opinion, but you sound like you want to change what others like to fit yourself, and that is wrong.

Tyrogon

Tyrogon

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
people are shooting fire from their hands and you are complaining about the realism of a cute character fighting....

Wanderer

Wanderer

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
^ Troof.

Hah, but it seems like the aesthetics between different races, even at this early point in tweaking, updating, and adding to the character creator, cater to a few different tropey appeals. Nuians look less "cute" than Hariharans in my opinion. So, if you wanted to play a standard human type race, and the Hariharan race didn't appeal to you, the Nuians are your alternative. The Elves too, if you don't mind pointy ears.

Mm, much less cute. Not my thing, but fine for someone who doesn't want to play cute humans.

Posted Image

CyclopsSlayer

CyclopsSlayer

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip

people are shooting fire from their hands and you are complaining about the realism of a cute character fighting....

True enough! But you have to admit some games go too far to the cute... Lineage 2 for example, they fixed much of this now, but the Dwarf females were all styled as 12yo pedo bait. The Dark Elf females were dressed in a few leather straps and the best way to detect one of higher level is that she would be wearing LESS. Then there was the High Elf(Half Elf?) females that everytime they cast a spell would leap into the air, twirl around, and give the world a 360 degree panty flash.

To me 'cute' is best used as pvp bait, luring in the unsuspecting ganker to the little flower picking cutesy char... then the counter gank team arrives... :D

Miyafuji

Miyafuji

Hidoi !

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
I have to disagree, except some Dark elves, I think characters in L2 in general were awesomely done. All of them. Yeah and except Kamael, that new race added when I was no longer playing the game, that one is not so good, you can clearly see that it was made by a different design team. Especially for its year (2004) L2 had things done very well. Dwarven girls were must have and light elf ones were really cool, many cool outfits. (that air under skirt when casting a magic was a thing with all races, mostly humans actually heh.). That game had it done right, exactly my style, exactly the way I liked it. On the other side i can name Tera as game that has done it terribly wrong, all inside out. Really not a fan of that Character design.

Edit: What I like on Archeage so far is that nothing is overdone, nothing is too excessive and mainly, nothing is disgusting. I cannot go point at something and say" this is disgusting so much that it drives me mad". No, there isn't anything like that to me so far. Everything is less or more beautiful. Thats maybe one of the reasons why I like it so much...

Zil

Zil

Just Do It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
I won't have any problem as long as they don't implement slider's that let you make one-eyed huge-headed monsters like in Aion. That just killed it for me right there. It's as if NcSoft thought "They want flexible character creation let's give it to them!", moments later you were allowed to make this :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wanderer

Wanderer

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
The thing I don't mind about the flexible character creation is that it did allow for some unique ideas. I'm actually roleplaying a 10 year old alt because it's in my power to make something that looks like a child. More or less, you don't see a lot of people running around in Aion super deformed like that beyond level 30. No one wants to stare at that for as long as the Aion grind is. :P

Posted Image

Galadhir

Galadhir

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

The thing I don't mind about the flexible character creation is that it did allow for some unique ideas. I'm actually roleplaying a 10 year old alt because it's in my power to make something that looks like a child. More or less, you don't see a lot of people running around in Aion super deformed like that beyond level 30. No one wants to stare at that for as long as the Aion grind is. :P

^^this is generally true, although I have been seeing a HUGE number of people making toons that are impossibly small, thinking that it gives them some sort of advantage in PvP. I don't see how, since Aion offers tab-targetting and auto-targets whoever is attacking you . . .

CyclopsSlayer

CyclopsSlayer

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
In Aion being super small actually gave you a smaller hit box. There were a few articles and vids documenting that, even though NC denied it.

While in small group tab works well, if you are trying to target the guy blocking a doorway sometimes a click is the best way, and if you can make a click mistarget even once it can change things.

Galadhir

Galadhir

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

In Aion being super small actually gave you a smaller hit box. There were a few articles and vids documenting that, even though NC denied it.

While in small group tab works well, if you are trying to target the guy blocking a doorway sometimes a click is the best way, and if you can make a click mistarget even once it can change things.

I take your point on the smaller hit box, but I don't quite catch what you're trying to say in the text I've put in bold.

That all said, whatever advantage it might have given didn't seem to matter much--the top PvPers from 1.5-present were all normal-sized toons. At least on Fregion/Vaizel.

CyclopsSlayer

CyclopsSlayer

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
In Aion with a Fort siege/defense there you would often see 50 attackers crammed in one room, 50 defenders in the adjacent room, and the blocker standing in the doorway. In the ensuing DPS vs. Heal battles a missed attack was often crucial. I know my Asmo Chanter was often over looked in mass PvP, being small enough I was easily lost in the scrum, I healed through raid and group windows, and rarely LoS there.

I believe later, after I left, they normalized the hit boxes so it no longer mattered and was just a fetish point to be small/large.

Galadhir

Galadhir

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Interesting. Though I'm surprised that anyone would be able to notice that in a siege of all things. The servers were so bad and the lag so horrible that I don't think I'd ever have been able to evaluate something like that under those circumstances.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users