You can switch the forum's background by selecting the paint bucket next to the blue Twitter icon below. New backgrounds are added as more members join!
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RIP Oculus Rift

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

Nynx

Nynx

Time Traveler?

• Members
  • PipPip

:(

Zev

Zev

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

lol ya facebook will not be good for it, but hey atleast we got the ps4 VR coming also

Kiirito

Kiirito

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Rip.

Nynx

Nynx

Time Traveler?

• Members
  • PipPip

hmhBlRN.gif

Branwulf

Branwulf

Crestfallen Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip

bloodtau2

bloodtau2

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

PS4 one to look forward to soon.

Wonder how long it will take Microsoft to copy it and bring out their own version though. They aren't great for designing and making their own stuff

Requiem

Requiem

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Over/under on how much longer it takes Facebook to fully become Skynet?

Nynx

Nynx

Time Traveler?

• Members
  • PipPip

Forget skynet lol..

Here is what we know:

Facebook wants to connect with everyone in the world.

They have endless resources and plenty of money to push their agenda.

They are starting to move onto different pies to stick their fingers in, claiming its better for everybody.

AND lastly.. they just purchased probably the most advance virtual reality technology in the world...

My suspicions tell me that facebook is really a front for... Abstergo Industries...

and yes thats right...

Zuckerberg must be a Templar...

sureikan

sureikan

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Forget skynet lol..

Here is what we know:

Facebook wants to connect with everyone in the world.

They have endless resources and plenty of money to push their agenda.

They are starting to move onto different pies to stick their fingers in, claiming its better for everybody.

AND lastly.. they just purchased probably the most advance virtual reality technology in the world...

My suspicions tell me that facebook is really a front for... Abstergo Industries...

and yes thats right...

Zuckerberg must be a Templar...

Welcome to the brotherhood.  I have a hideout somewhere in Philadelphia, here are the quick travel coords - ^2%3da!e_0-=-qw3_sd -#@dx

Hint: Must decipher with Eagle Vision

ienBipi.jpg

Signature done by SureikaN

Formerly known as "Malak" from R30's, Sin, Blackguard

Lv50 Liberator Spear/Sheild (Battlerage / Archery / Defense) NA Alpha Theorycraft Build

Lv30 Shadowblade DualWeild (Battlerage / Shadowplay / Witchcraft) NA Alpha Theorycraft Build

Maan

Maan

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Lol, that was a good video, should go viral.

I think the same, occulus rift is unfortunately dead.

Voldrax

Voldrax

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip

I really don't think FB will be the death of Oculus VR, nor do I believe they will brand/ad spam it. Maybe I'm naive, but only time will tell. The money the dev team has to work with now ($400 mil cash + $1.6 bil in FB stock) makes the devs' vision of the product's future a possibility now. Buying the company is an investment that FB could afford... and an intelligent one to make. The devs hav not changed. They still plan marketing to the gaming community first and expanding into other markets once they have some momentum. No change there. I don't understand all the fear and resignation unless it's that most people are too used to being screwed over while feeling powerless to do anything about it.

_~
_~)_)_~
)_))_))_)
_!__!__!_
\______t/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It made me think about it.
It made me.
Think about it.

Maan

Maan

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

I really don't think FB will be the death of Oculus VR, nor do I believe they will brand/ad spam it. Maybe I'm naive, but only time will tell. The money the dev team has to work with now ($400 mil cash + $1.6 bil in FB stock) makes the devs' vision of the product's future a possibility now. Buying the company is an investment that FB could afford... and an intelligent one to make. The devs hav not changed. They still plan marketing to the gaming community first and expanding into other markets once they have some momentum. No change there. I don't understand all the fear and resignation unless it's that most people are too used to being screwed over while feeling powerless to do anything about it.

This article sums it up :

http://www.forbes.co...-hate-facebook/

sureikan

sureikan

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

sad shit man.  i almost bought one of the beta devices for 300$ and potential stock. 

ienBipi.jpg

Signature done by SureikaN

Formerly known as "Malak" from R30's, Sin, Blackguard

Lv50 Liberator Spear/Sheild (Battlerage / Archery / Defense) NA Alpha Theorycraft Build

Lv30 Shadowblade DualWeild (Battlerage / Shadowplay / Witchcraft) NA Alpha Theorycraft Build

Voldrax

Voldrax

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip

This article sums it up :

http://www.forbes.co...-hate-facebook/

Thank you very much for that. I hadn't read that article yet. It still sounds like fan hysteria based upon an unknown quantity due the potentially unstable whims of Zuckerberg. It is simply the stigma of being attached to FB that seems to turn so many people against this deal.

Honestly, upon further reflexion of what I had written here, I was worried I'd come back to see I had been harpooned for maybe sounding like a FB fanboy or some such. Being new to the AA community and hoping with all my might for a fantastic sandbox environment to finally be realized for gaming, I'm happy as a clam to see that's not how you guys roll. :)

I've got most of my news on the deal from the reddit discussions and Palmer Luckey's responses to the immediately overwhelming fear and morbid resignation everyone was exibiting. I also find the /ragequit by Minecraft's Markus "Notch" Persson to be more telling of the type of person Notch is than having anything specifically to do with this deal and it's potential outcome. :P It does sound like things are finally starting to settle down and the Oculus team is hunkering back down to shift things into overdrive with the new found freedom this monetization has brought to their development efforts. They've even started talking about their plans to release content under their own umbrella for the platform as it becomes ready for the market.

I'm gonna remain optimistic and view the fear and loathing for what I believe it really is... speculation based upon an unknown quantity, which can snowball as evidensed by the mass hysteria in every corner of the VR community over the past several days. ;)

Thanks again and I sincerely hope I'm right in this, as I'm sure do you all.

_~
_~)_)_~
)_))_))_)
_!__!__!_
\______t/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It made me think about it.
It made me.
Think about it.

IceD

IceD

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

What if the Oculus Rift acquisition by Facebook is actually an April Fools' joke?

Nynx

Nynx

Time Traveler?

• Members
  • PipPip

What if the Oculus Rift acquisition by Facebook is actually an April Fools' joke?

I doubt it.. Facebook's stock dropped 7% in just a day following the purchase of the VR...

http://goo.gl/jVYz98

With all these people cancelling their pre-orders.. and major game companies backing out..

also the importance first impressions are with the gaming community.. doesn't look too good..