Just so you know, AAS = ArcheAgeSource.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Private Shops vs. Auction Houses

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Black Beard

Black Beard

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
It's all about player vendors at your house, baby! ;)

Ikkari

Ikkari

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
I wouldn't mind player vendors at houses as long as there is way to know what is where before you set out. Like EVE and not like DF or MO. What I might prefer to this would be player vendors in a market in NPC or player cities (on the third continent). You would of course pay rent for the stall and it would bring people into contact more often.
Posted Image

Daimyo

Daimyo

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

I wouldn't mind player vendors at houses as long as there is way to know what is where before you set out. Like EVE and not like DF or MO. What I might prefer to this would be player vendors in a market in NPC or player cities (on the third continent). You would of course pay rent for the stall and it would bring people into contact more often.

Thinking inside the realm of Jake Song I would think he would once again compromise between sandbox and theme park and heres how he would likely do it:

After reading all of the posts/suggestion, I got to say that a combination of a regional auction houses with high enough taxes and listing prices would be nice and motivate the players who want a good deal to look at localized player stores (also limit auction houses only in major cities to influence player shops even more). Nothing is more fun then having your own business and being smart and monopolizing in certain areas where people may need certain items for that area or just a high traffic area in general.

Remember, ArcheAge is all about variety in things to do rather than just pvp, pve like in most MMOs (so not having high emphasis on player business would kill a large aspect of the game). Setting up a NPC business is very exciting and lots of people enjoy prospering wealth in a game just like in real life. Id like to see player vendors have a huge importance as itll just give so much more to the games atmosphere and liveliness. Nothing is more fulfilling then logging into $$$ from a great day of selling!

On a side note, players should be able to have multiple NPC vendors as the world is massive and they may want to setup multiple locations (players could be more well known, also it could be pricey to have many npc vendors). Maybe add a feature to be able to resupply vendor locations with NPC cartels that are sent off physically to that vendor to resupply them and or add a job positing system where players can post jobs to resupply vendors for a hefty price if the NPC ones are too pricey for the owner yet will still pay well enough for the player else the job wont sell. Player jobs in general could be a nice addition like a craigslist of the world with posting boards everywhere on walls etc.

What about NPC vendors in sieges? I guess in the Northern continent NPC vendors can be killed at will. Itll motivate players to setup in player-created town locations and have to pay a tax to setup there like they said for housing as well. They can also monopolize on the fact that many vendors wont be up north and things may be harder to get for players thus charging higher prices.

ohiojosh78

ohiojosh78

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
@OP Don't like either of your 2 options. They are both at the far ends of the spectrum

AH<<<<<<<>>>>>>>Vendors

Take it from me. I've played games with both. You make some valid points but none the less overlooked the one option that has more positives from both than negatives. Local only AHs. Players get frustrated when they have to walk around to different shops all the time. People like 1 stop shopping in games as in real life. It's why Walmart is the biggest retail chain in the world. Be it laziness or ease of use, it's a fact. But making the AHs local still gives people the ability to find a niche and also, if AA has their game setup this way, preserves the effect of spreading out resources on the map and gets people to travel around if they find a crafter they like. Many many reason for local AH being better than global or private vendors but I have to get back to painting, mowing and running errands. Maybe I'll revisit this and post more later.

Labi

Labi

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Id like player owned vendors

Cavarath

Cavarath

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
*bumping because of recent auction house discussion*
"Recent results of scientific research have shown that the wish of a person to get a ArcheAge beta key is the bigger the lower the post count." - Veryintelligent Person

Benseine

Benseine

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

*bumping because of recent auction house discussion*

Well is there any implemented yet in beta?

Edit: nm, next patch are the rumours.

Averrie

Averrie

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
I liked the way SWG did it.

The global bazaar, but you had to go retrieve the item from the place where it was being sold.

Then on top of that, personal NPC vendors in local shops selling wares, plus personal NPC's advertising and selling in major cities.

To me, that is the best system.
Posted Image

Cavarath

Cavarath

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
I dont get the point of that bazaar. The problem with auction houses is that the customer does always see any offer and will always buy the cheapest one. It doesnt matter whether or not you have to pick it up afterwards.
"Recent results of scientific research have shown that the wish of a person to get a ArcheAge beta key is the bigger the lower the post count." - Veryintelligent Person

Faenar

Faenar

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
I prefer private shops.
Running around market finding cheapest price is occasionally a good way of amusement, and square full of peoples sitting and offering their goods, with all customers running around, WTS "spams", this altogether make cities truly living. When i come to that market from questing, exploring a dungeon, grinding or something like that, it feels like I am really comming from wilderness into a center of civilization. This is my point of view, cities really like a centers of civilization, not with empty streets, so i prefer private shops.

Benseine

Benseine

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
I prefer any kind of shops over an AH. fuck practical.

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators
I prefer auction house over AFK shops, simply i just don't have the time nor the nerves to check them 1by1.

Cavarath

Cavarath

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Then buy at the first shop selling what you want and accept that you probably dont get the best price. ;)

Fido

Fido

Döner Dönater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
I prefer afk or hired npc shops over the AH, shopping this style is great.
Maybe the best prices for wood are somewhere hidden in a little player town at the coast and rumours about that spread around the server.
I like the imagination of players travelling to this place. It looks more realistic :-)

So come on, let´s go to the mall :D

Let´s Play Archeage - The German Archeage Video Magazine

The German Archeage Knowledge Base v2.0

The German Archeage Crop Report v2.0

"After resigning NCsoft I just chilled at home and my wife did not like it.
One day she said 'go out and play.' So I founded XLGAMES in order to
escape from the grouchiness of my wife and to separate my gamer life
from my wife. And I played World of Warcraft all day at the office"
- Jake Song

Memnoc

Memnoc

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
I like the SWG trade system where you could place items for sale at the city and have a vendor located in your home. Eve's auction house made me to much isk. I would buy a ton of resources when the market was low and resell it for much more forcing the price at the trade hubs too increase. At the same time I think it would be cool to sit at a stale and sell your wares as a trader but who wants too spam all day.

Zil

Zil

Just Do It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
I don't know, I think a mix of both could be interesting. In L2 there were no AH's and the town chat log was a lot more vital, an auction house essentially kills that feeling.

Posted Image

Entaro

Entaro

Professional Strawberry Thief

• Super Moderators

I prefer auction house over AFK shops, simply i just don't have the time nor the nerves to check them 1by1.

Then make connections with other players that know where to buy what you need, or shout in chat "WTB item!" or ask guildies. No need to check them 1by1.

The point of an MMO is to be social and Auction Houses take a lot away from that. If people don't want to be social they should go play Skyrim or something like that.

Shango

Shango

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
I was (am?) a cook in ffxi and I can vouch for the benefits of local AH's and player vendors.

Before they linked the AH, there were actually many items that you could sell in a particular city where other cooks seemed to avoid selling much of anything (selling insect paste, a kind of bait, in bastok for example). It was kind of broken in that you could put mules in every city and use the game's mailing system to move items around. Since there was a limit on how much you could send at one time though, the game rewarded those willing to sacrifice their time to move goods where they would sell. I would still have liked if they did it more like EVE where you could buy items but you had to travel to pick them up.

Also, I used to sell bait without undercutting because it would sell so fast there was little reason to undercut. But to really burn through inventory, I would put Max items for sale on AH then sell the same bait on my character afk for 10-20% less ah price. I would normally meet buyers this way and started business relationships where if they bought from me in bulk, I would always have bait ready to sell them at the discounted price. I even had people recognize my toon's name from AH price history, and my mule's names, and send me tells seeking large volumes of bait.

It's not ideal in either situation, but wanted to share just a couple examples of how mundane business can yield long term deals and sometimes even friendships.

Benseine

Benseine

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Then buy at the first shop selling what you want and accept that you probably dont get the best price. ;)

yep, more fun :)

CyclopsSlayer

CyclopsSlayer

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Problem is with private shops and scattered housing, with out advertising it is not that you wonlt get the best price, it is more that you will not find what you want in the first place.

EQ1 post Luclin, FFXIV concentrated the presonal shops in a single unified location.

SWG, gave waypoints to personal shops selling specific item types. Might not have what you wanted in stock, but you could find it.

Random shops, selling random goods, scattered far and wide, means largely never finding what if anything you want/need, or selling the random trash you have to sell.
I prefer a personal shop system, but unless you stand there spamming the zone/world chat, "WTS Ubba Sword of Doom!" anything you put up might never be even looked at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users