ArcheAge-Online.com was the first ArcheAge fansite in the world.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Comparing other MMOs to ArcheAge

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

liberator48

liberator48

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Since i used to be a hardcore MMO gamer and hope to be one again when AA releases, i have been looking around at different MMOs and tried comparing them to ArcheAge, so far none has come close except for maybe two: Bless and Black Desert.

I know almost everything important about ArcheAge, it has superb sandbox features, huge open world, tons of classes, good role play elements, etc etc we all here should know this :)

Does anyone have experience or good knowledge of Bless and/or Black Desert?

From what i can tell from youtube videos, they both beat ArcheAge in terms of character creation, but not much else... how are their sandbox and roleplay features? I know Black Desert has very few and gender locked classes which is a huge turnoff. And Bless seems to be very story driven, which i personally don't like too much.

Please share what you know about these or other, similar games and compare them to ArcheAge.

Steelwind

Steelwind

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Great topic, will love to hear the responses.

In regards to BD, I don't think they have revealed much as far as sandbox features and while I hope it is sandbox based, I am not sure we can even call it that yet.

Kuro1n

Kuro1n

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

They have housing, better than AA, they have gear drop, they have trade setups etc. All in all, at this rate a lot more sandboxy and to the roots MMO than AA.

Steelwind

Steelwind

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

They have housing, better than AA, they have gear drop, they have trade setups etc. All in all, at this rate a lot more sandboxy and to the roots MMO than AA

Fixed housing is far from better, different yes but I can't say its better and no farming. They have Trading but no details as to what that really means. I really think your statement is a total stretch at this point.

Kuro1n

Kuro1n

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

https://www.youtube....h?v=39_Pu1U7tIM ? Or you mean the houses?

That you cant place houses as you wish is good imo, means people wont place houses all over like in AA... looks terrible imo.

EDIT: AAs "farming" is not much farming, you click to put down some trees and then put it on AH for cash, very interesting mechanic. lol...

Steelwind

Steelwind

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

https://www.youtube....h?v=39_Pu1U7tIM ? Or you mean the houses?

That you cant place houses as you wish is good imo, means people wont place houses all over like in AA... looks terrible imo.

Ohh god, I thought you were beyond the whole immersion breaking opinion. Let me guess, hate those bikinis and cars too? This opinion is soooo MMORPG.com.

OW housing and the creativity that comes with it (creative freedom), it one of AA's shining points imho.

Kuro1n

Kuro1n

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Well... if you want THAT kind of sandbox why dont you just go play second life? ...

Steelwind

Steelwind

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Well... if you want THAT kind of sandbox why dont you just go play second life? ...

If you want that sandbox, why are you here?

Btw OW housing adds far more than just creative freedom but rather choice and strategy. I have the freedom to place my house where it servers "my needs" best not where the devs tell me to put it. This is also why I had up to 4 houses in AA at one point all serving very specific strategic functions.

You argument is to take all that away from me so it is easy on your eyes? Wow! Sounds less sandboxy to me..... removing creative freedom and strategy is one of the definitions of a themepark.

Wiseman

Wiseman

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Here's 2 Bless online CBT Reviews:  http://bless-source....ed-beta-review/ and http://2p.com/479337...by-Aspenach.htm

Here's a Black Desert CBT Review: http://my.mmosite.co...cbt_review.html

More "Important" Black Desert info: http://www.mmocast.c...part-resources/ and http://2p.com/493683...-by-Nichole.htm

Both seem to me pleasing their audiences. Enjoy... B)

"We cannot solve the problems we have created with the same thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

Kuro1n

Kuro1n

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

If you want that sandbox, why are you here?

Btw OW housing adds far more than just creative freedom but rather choice and strategy. I have the freedom to place my house where it servers "my needs" best not where the devs tell me to put it. This is also why I had up to 4 houses in AA at one point all serving very specific strategic functions.

You argument is to take all that away from me so it is easy on your eyes? Wow! Sounds less sandboxy to me..... removing creative freedom and strategy is one of the definitions of a themepark.

HAHA yeah like the devs didnt design where there are building spots in AA. /facepalm

AA is VERY themeparky as it is right now, we will see later on but doubt it is going to be much more sandboxy anytime soon. BD doesn't force you into factions that makes you unable to attack people, sounds good to me, not this carebear gameplay with safezones, guards, factions and so on.

Brimor

Brimor

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Still wont have full loot on death in BD, the PvP has been said to be niether carebear or Hardcore, and you will not drop any soulbound items. People will soon be calling BD a carebear game too, because in essence you cant really lose anything worthwhie like you could in UO 1997-2000

Brimor

Brimor

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

HAHA yeah like the devs didnt design where there are building spots in AA. /facepalm

How is that different to BD

Brimor

Brimor

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Anyway BD is not an option for me until it heads to EU/NA, so still looking forward to AA.

Nalcetla

Nalcetla

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

I'm pretty excited for BD to come, but I can see it being a while until it comes to NA.

There's another game that I've been keeping my eyes on called, Blade & Soul....although, NCsoft seems to not be entirely focused on it.

Wiseman

Wiseman

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Bless looks like it can possibly be a TERA killer, but TERA is the one who brought the "full mmorpg" action style to the light. People are so busy hating TERA that they forget to reward it for taking the hit for everyone.

..And at this point I believe that competition will be healthy for AA, BD, EQN and any other sandbox game..WHY?

They will be able to learn from each other. Heck EQN has finally decided to tax housing, and BD said that they want to have mount raising. Everyone "will be" learning from AA and sandbox games from the past.

People might not be willing to admit it, but AA is the game that sparked this new AAA sandbox flame, and will more than likely be the one that receives the most hate. ArcheAge will continue to grow. The F2P generation will have players bouncing between each, hopefully inspiring developers to learn along the way.

It's good to see all of them going their own direction, and they all seem to have something that the other is missing. I like the flow of ArcheAge and the trading encourages interaction passed the typical, "I might bump into you" style of gaming. We have yet to see a full game from any of the others, so we'll have to wait and see how well their content will blend with the promises.

Heck, a few years back this wouldn't have been a conversation. B)

"We cannot solve the problems we have created with the same thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

Kuro1n

Kuro1n

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Actually wiseman this has been a discussion for years, with most of us sandbox and PVP fans wanting and talking about the benefits of a more open world etc, most didn't care a shit though and just wanted prettier game or some shit.

bloodtau2

bloodtau2

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Archeage will be the ground work that better and more in dept games build upon. just how most games now take mechanics and systems from Guild wars 2, then expands upon them

Isarii

Isarii

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Does anyone have experience or good knowledge of Bless and/or Black Desert?

I'm no expert, but I did scrounge up what I could on Black Desert in a blog post a few weeks back. I also have a comparative article between the two games in the works. Both games really interest me, but I see a big difference in intent between the two. I'll share a few of my thoughts here to see if it helps you at all. 

ArcheAge

ArcheAge‘s philosophy appears to be to emulate a lot of EVE‘s game systems, but to implement them in a softer, less punishing way, and to supplement those features with a cadre of themepark offerings to ease players into the game. The two preeminent examples of this are the separate continents, and trade packs.

In ArcheAge, players start off on one of two continents depending on their NPC faction, as determined by their race choice. These continents provide players with a healthy supply of traditional themepark content like quests and dungeons, while the factions give them a set enemy to provide an initial direction in PvP. However, this all changes when players arrive at the third continent (which is optional). This new land is a blank canvas, allowing players to mold the terrain by building their own towns, cities, and fortresses. Same-faction PK restrictions found in the earlier regions are also set aside, with players forming expeditionary forces free to determine their own allies and enemies in their fight for territorial dominance in the new land.

Trade packs in ArcheAge simulate EVE‘s resource driven PvP without actually implementing item loss on death. Where in EVE, everything is lost and can be looted when you are killed, ArcheAge foregoes all of this, instead implementing a new profession centered on trading and commerce. Players in this profession will craft trade packs in one location, then transport them across the world to a delivery location for a hefty gold payout. However, trade packs do drop when you are killed, and severely limit your walking speed on top of it. To avoid being PK’d, players will seek out vehicular transportation to avoid losing their wares, be it by road or sea.

Both of these features seem to do an adequate job of appealing to players with preferences for both high-risk, high-reward playstyles, as well as offering safer avenues of play for the more risk-averse. In this way, ArcheAge has a lot of potential as a game to painlessly introduce sandboxes to the uninitiated MMO masses.

Black Desert

Black Desert, on the other hand, does not seem be thinking about softening the blow in the slightest. Where ArcheAge only simulates traditional sandbox PvP looting, Black Desert goes all the way with dropping your items on death and adds experience loss to boot.

That said, Black Desert's economic features look to much better developed than ArcheAge's, perhaps as a result of its decision to eschew traditional themepark features that ArcheAge incorporated. It features a truly localized economy and a really neat system of regional progression the likes of which I haven't seen before in an MMO (Check out MMOCast's series of articles on Black Desert's economy - I also linked to this in the blog post). With items being removed from the economy, I also have a lot more faith in the longevity of Black Desert's economy than ArcheAge's, where decay and item loss were dropped in favor of casual appeal.

Black Desert is visually gorgeous, a quality extending to all aspects of the game, from its awesome character creation to its beautiful, expansive worldArcheAge isn’t a bad looking game by any means, but it, as with every other MMO I can think of, finds itself easily overshadowed by Black Desert‘s titanic graphical supremacy. Black Desert‘s advantage in modernity isn’t simply limited to its looks, either. The game’s dynamic action combat, limited action set, and minimalist UI all make the game feel and play much more in line with what I expect from an MMO in this day and age than ArcheAge‘s traditional tab-targeted system, which doesn’t even feature a dodge rolling mechanic.

ArcheAge‘s build-your-own class system with its free skill tree choices presents a more open method of character development, which I find much more compelling than Black Desert‘s rather traditional class design. While neither game has implemented my personal preference for a skill-based classless system ala Star Wars Galaxies (pre-NGE/CU), ArcheAge is undeniably a fair bit closer to that benchmark. Further, I absolutely cannot stand Black Desert‘s gender-locking of classes, putting a huge point in the ArcheAge column for this category.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

The real conclusion is that ArcheAge is going to release well before Black Desert does, so we'll have plenty of time to give it a whirl and see what we all think. If you're hooked, then just ignore Black Desert. If you're not, then take it out for a spin. 

With ArcheAge‘s strengths largely revolving around accessibility and attempts to bridge the gap to sandboxes for themepark players, it’s great to see it be the first to make it to release. If you have friends who have never played a sandbox MMO before, ArcheAge will probably be a good game to check out and drag them into, even if it’s only a stepping stone on your way to Black Desert.

EDIT: Full write-up is done.

http://errantpenman....rt-vs-archeage/

Blackthorne

Legend Gaming | Join Us!
Isarii - Guild Leader of Blackthorne
Twitter: @SirIsarii | Blog: The Errant Penman | ArcheAge Community Moderator: Anook

Painbringer7

Painbringer7

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Well I don't know if this is the right place for this or not but "Shards Online" sounds like it will be really cool.  Although it is still just a concept.......

Lily

Lily

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

which doesn’t even feature a dodge rolling mechanic.

You mean that instant cast self buff that makes you invulnerable for a moment, does a roll animation and has a very short cooldown?

AA has that, it's just specific to one tree, lasts a couple of seconds longer, doesn't have the same animation and has a much longer cooldown.

I really don't get why people are so for "action combat" when most of the main differences between it and traditional combat are just gimmicks.

bleh.

Anyway, thanks for that comparison, I didn't know black desert had item loss, I might try it out when it's available then.