Just so you know, AAS = ArcheAgeSource.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Comparing other MMOs to ArcheAge

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

Isarii

Isarii

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

You mean that instant cast self buff that makes you invulnerable for a moment, does a roll animation and has a very short cooldown?

AA has that, it's just specific to one tree, lasts a couple of seconds longer, doesn't have the same animation and has a much longer cooldown.

I really don't get why people are so for "action combat" when most of the main differences between it and traditional combat are just gimmicks.

bleh.

Anyway, thanks for that comparison, I didn't know black desert had item loss, I might try it out when it's available then.

Personally I'm more about aiming as an action combat element (Neverwinter was very fun for me, if only in terms of combat) than anything else, but dodging, blocking, and other reactive combat elements also do a lot to engage me as a player. 

Blackthorne

Legend Gaming | Join Us!
Isarii - Guild Leader of Blackthorne
Twitter: @SirIsarii | Blog: The Errant Penman | ArcheAge Community Moderator: Anook

bloodtau2

bloodtau2

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Yeah AA combat is one of the more generic ones on the market now, but that is how eastern players like it I guess.

being able to dodge/roll and jump in combat makes it feel a lot more actiony but some players just don't seem to be able to get their head around this.

heck, i've seen a lot of players in archeage standing still, even though they are casting skills that let them move while they do it. Some players just need a slower pace form of combat.

Also I noticed somebody mentioned tera brought action combat to MMO? This is not true. Even their combat is a bit static compared to others. More actioney combat is more like guild wars 2 and wildstar (without all that laser beam shit)

Isarii

Isarii

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Yeah AA combat is one of the more generic ones on the market now, but that is how eastern players like it I guess.

being able to dodge/roll and jump in combat makes it feel a lot more actiony but some players just don't seem to be able to get their head around this.

heck, i've seen a lot of players in archeage standing still, even though they are casting skills that let them move while they do it. Some players just need a slower pace form of combat.

Also I noticed somebody mentioned tera brought action combat to MMO? This is not true. Even their combat is a bit static compared to others. More actioney combat is more like guild wars 2 and wildstar (without all that laser beam shit)

I think AA has one of the largest offering of combat variety of any MMO (probably), and that should be enough to keep it fresh. Ground combat, mounted combat, glider dogfighting, naval combat, etc...

Blackthorne

Legend Gaming | Join Us!
Isarii - Guild Leader of Blackthorne
Twitter: @SirIsarii | Blog: The Errant Penman | ArcheAge Community Moderator: Anook

bloodtau2

bloodtau2

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

I think AA has one of the largest offering of combat variety of any MMO (probably), and that should be enough to keep it fresh. Ground combat, mounted combat, glider dogfighting, naval combat, etc...

mounted and glider combat are just gimmicks. They aren't a true game mode.
Ship combat is just normal combat but on a smaller platform unless you are organised out of your ass.

People don't enjoy standing still to cast stuff and having to take stuff to the face and hope you have enough mitigation.

liberator48

liberator48

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

I agree with you Isarii. ArcheAge and Black Desert are about equally good. However ArcheAge for me has no big turnoffs whereas Black Desert has the gender locked classes which i can not stand, and i am more a fan of traditional tab targeting than the action style combat which i think can be a hit later on when the world has better technology to support it.

Also in ArcheAge you can do pretty much anything anywhere. I don't know how extensive Black Deserts sandbox features are or where the boundaries are in that game but from what i have seen it definitely looks really good. I wonder if Black Desert has ship crafting and sailing and big world with different factions and such like ArcheAge does?

ninjamatthew

ninjamatthew

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

AA is the best. Period. End of discussion...

TwitchYouTube | Twitter

fMc2XbC.png?1?4854

sureikan

sureikan

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

You mean that instant cast self buff that makes you invulnerable for a moment, does a roll animation and has a very short cooldown?

AA has that, it's just specific to one tree, lasts a couple of seconds longer, doesn't have the same animation and has a much longer cooldown.

I really don't get why people are so for "action combat" when most of the main differences between it and traditional combat are just gimmicks.

bleh.

Anyway, thanks for that comparison, I didn't know black desert had item loss, I might try it out when it's available then.

every time i see your avatar and your name lily it reminds me of a chick i knew back in the days of "REAL" MMos.  Did you ever play Shadowbane or Lineage 2?

ienBipi.jpg

Signature done by SureikaN

Formerly known as "Malak" from R30's, Sin, Blackguard

Lv50 Liberator Spear/Sheild (Battlerage / Archery / Defense) NA Alpha Theorycraft Build

Lv30 Shadowblade DualWeild (Battlerage / Shadowplay / Witchcraft) NA Alpha Theorycraft Build

Lily

Lily

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

People don't enjoy standing still to cast stuff and having to take stuff to the face and hope you have enough mitigation.

I do, it's that decisive moment where every point of hp and resistance counts that makes the whole process of acquiring my shiny high lvl crafted armour worth it.

every time i see your avatar and your name lily it reminds me of a chick i knew back in the days of "REAL" MMos.  Did you ever play Shadowbane or Lineage 2?

I played some L2, but not under the same alias.

sureikan

sureikan

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

I do, it's that decisive moment where every point of hp and resistance counts that makes the whole process of acquiring my shiny high lvl crafted armour worth it.

I second that.   Games that require side stepping, rolling, etc are also very latency dependent.  Half the reason why GW2 and games like GUNZ suck.    The hit boxes in those game are absurd.  Game is so freaking easy to be good @. They are fun games @ times (but not really) dont get me wrong, but you do not see them really flourish because most people cant afford top of the line internet and also a lot of people are playing on different regions because some regions are just bad to play on.   

And yeah, having to have in the back of my head what my real EHP is (Effective Hit Points, true value of health after resistances apply) is what makes games enjoyable.  I know this skill does X damage.  Now how much will it do vs my resistance.  How many of the fireballs can I survive.  Which ones will I need to blow a cooldown on to help me gap close.  Melee should be hard to play, not spam roll roll roll roll im in your face your dead.  

All of those reasons for me is why i prefer those games over the "have fun for a day or two tera/gw2 style games"

You didnt see that shit in Shadowbane,Lineage 2, or all the point to click PVP Games back in the day. And those games ruled them all

ienBipi.jpg

Signature done by SureikaN

Formerly known as "Malak" from R30's, Sin, Blackguard

Lv50 Liberator Spear/Sheild (Battlerage / Archery / Defense) NA Alpha Theorycraft Build

Lv30 Shadowblade DualWeild (Battlerage / Shadowplay / Witchcraft) NA Alpha Theorycraft Build

koawhkaine

koawhkaine

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Since i used to be a hardcore MMO gamer and hope to be one again when AA releases, i have been looking around at different MMOs and tried comparing them to ArcheAge, so far none has come close except for maybe two: Bless and Black Desert.

I know almost everything important about ArcheAge, it has superb sandbox features, huge open world, tons of classes, good role play elements, etc etc we all here should know this :)

Does anyone have experience or good knowledge of Bless and/or Black Desert?

From what i can tell from youtube videos, they both beat ArcheAge in terms of character creation, but not much else... how are their sandbox and roleplay features? I know Black Desert has very few and gender locked classes which is a huge turnoff. And Bless seems to be very story driven, which i personally don't like too much.

Please share what you know about these or other, similar games and compare them to ArcheAge.

AA is the closest thing available to the current market that is a throwback to Ultima Online. GRANTED, UO even had some nerfs to its aggressive rulesets, this is as close as it gets for the fantasy genre.

Black Desert Online is quite simply a different game, different feel, and in the end.. is just simply different. I like the action a lot, my concern with the active blocking is that I run across a lot of mobs that have this huge delayed attack cycle, its timed just perfectly to where there isnt a window large enough to attack without being hit, and so if you wait to time your block, its a calculated couple of seconds in prep. My point being, I feel like I am taking turns (literally) when I use a lot of the block abilities. As for dodges, rolls and leaps - those are awesome nonstop. They are especially entertaining for the archer.

I havent decided fully yet how much time i want to put into uploading my BDO videos, primarily because I have to much on my plate to spend any time on creating reels that are "highlight only." I'd almost rather just upload full gameplay pieces, and either the viewer can watch, FW, or just watch something else. Still thinking about it.

log.png

RISE GUILD | KOAWHKAINE ON TWITCH | KOAWHKAINE ON YOUTUBE | QUESTING | MAPS

POWER LEVELING | PVP | BOATS | INSTANCES | DONKEY | SCARECROW | SMALL BABIES | GUILD APPLICATION

ninjamatthew

ninjamatthew

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

AA is the closest thing available to the current market that is a throwback to Ultima Online. GRANTED, UO even had some nerfs to its aggressive rulesets, this is as close as it gets for the fantasy genre.

Black Desert Online is quite simply a different game, different feel, and in the end.. is just simply different. I like the action a lot, my concern with the active blocking is that I run across a lot of mobs that have this huge delayed attack cycle, its timed just perfectly to where there isnt a window large enough to attack without being hit, and so if you wait to time your block, its a calculated couple of seconds in prep. My point being, I feel like I am taking turns (literally) when I use a lot of the block abilities. As for dodges, rolls and leaps - those are awesome nonstop. They are especially entertaining for the archer.

I havent decided fully yet how much time i want to put into uploading my BDO videos, primarily because I have to much on my plate to spend any time on creating reels that are "highlight only." I'd almost rather just upload full gameplay pieces, and either the viewer can watch, FW, or just watch something else. Still thinking about it.

Do you own Aegis?

TwitchYouTube | Twitter

fMc2XbC.png?1?4854

koawhkaine

koawhkaine

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Myself, my friends, and some of the original framers of Rise from KR will be moving forward in NA Alpha. Some of the Rise players who played in RU are joining with another guild to create Aegis.

log.png

RISE GUILD | KOAWHKAINE ON TWITCH | KOAWHKAINE ON YOUTUBE | QUESTING | MAPS

POWER LEVELING | PVP | BOATS | INSTANCES | DONKEY | SCARECROW | SMALL BABIES | GUILD APPLICATION

ksi

ksi

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip

Pesonally I think Archeage is just Lineage 2 modern version. And this is why:

- A lot of classes (L2 has 33 classes);

- PK reward system (L2 as archeage have great reward for PK);

- PVP/MPVP system;

- Crafting system (in both games the best gear is made my yourself);

- Teleportation (L2 has scrolls, archeage has TP book);

- Large world and almost no instances (L2 before Gracia final update had no instances at all);

- Similar mounts...

And I could continue the list...

Luxeraph

Luxeraph

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

- Similar mounts...

Similar mounts?