In 2003 Jake Song left NCsoft and created XLGAMES.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Answers to Your Post-CBT3 Questions!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
102 replies to this topic

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators
It's been a while since CBT3 ended and we collected these questions, but XLGAMES was busy working on a revamped English website for ArcheAge, so there's a good reason this took so long to arrive.

Anyhow, enjoy this Q&A and be prepared for future closed beta tests!

Can we name our horses or boats?

Yes.

ArcheAge's crafting system is currently very simple. Will it become more interactive, like Star Wars Galaxies' or Vanguard's?

We are working on strengthening the connection between crafting skills and the method by which they are performed.

Death penalties during CBT3 were light. Will there eventually be more severe penalties for dying, especially via PK/PvP?

Regarding death penalties, we are considering item durability decreases and extended resurrection times. We could also add corpse runs. (We are not considering strong penalties such as experience point loss or item drops.) We have to find a balance to make death meaningful but not force players away from the game.

Has XLGAMES considered a "hardcore" server type (like Diablo 2) for players who want death to be much more unforgiving than it currently is?

It is not something we have thought about yet, but we will when the right time comes.

Why would someone build a house on the northern continent if it's safer and probably cheaper (taxes, etc.) to do so on one of the southern continents?

[Answer not available from XLGAMES. Answer from ArcheAdmin: because the northern continent gives special advantages, and that's where castles can be created.]

Can labor points be increased beyond 100 somehow? Can they be regenerated faster somehow?

We are constantly working on balancing the labor system. We are considering ways to increase maximum labor points and also thinking of ways to decrease the labor point recharging time.

Can characters who enter into an in-game "marriage" share houses/bank accounts, etc.?

We can’t say when, but we will let family members to share houses and functions in the house.

What kind of rewards will be distributed through battlegrounds, or how will players use battleground points?

With the points earned from the battleground players will be able to buy various items (mounts, pets, armors, etc).

The sea separating the two southern continents felt somewhat small during CBT3. Will it be widened, or is the current size final?

The size of the sea between the two southern continents will stay as it is for now. However, the sea seperating the southern continents from the northern continent will be larger and there will be many islands. The sea will still be a place worth adventuring.

Will there be a ladder system for battlegrounds or PvP? Something like GuildWars or Lineage 2's Olympiad?

Currently we are not considering a ladder system, but accumulated activities in battlegrounds and PvP will be rewarded. In the long term, we think tournaments would be possible too.

Can ships be upgraded with better equipment?

More kinds of ships will be included, from small to large, with each having different performance characteristics. Players will be able to customize certain parts of their ships; however, we are not considering ship upgrades.

Teleport books threaten to make carriage and airship travel useless, and the world feel smaller overall. How will teleportation be kept under control?

Teleport books need money to use, but carriage rides are free. (Some parts of the world will be not be reachable with teleport books.) Transportation methods, like airships, will provide simple content that will entertain players who are on it.

How will court/jail summoning work? Are guilty players automatically summoned after evidence against them is submitted, or will guards or players have to catch the murderer?

The guilty player will not be summoned automatically. We will inform the guilty player to appear in court, and if they don’t they’ll be put on a 'Wanted' list and other players can hunt him down.

How will crafted gear match up against dungeon/raid gear?

We hope player-crafted items become a key aspect of in-game economy or combat, but if equipment was solely led by crafted items, it could become somewhat of a restriction to the growth of solo-playing characters. Thus items for simple leveling are also obtainable through quests or from monsters. Crafted items will be improvable with enhancement stones, whereas such easily obtainable items wouldn’t. Of course, some nice items will be exclusively obtainable from monsters with a high level of difficulty.

ohiojosh78

ohiojosh78

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
So the main thing I got from this is crafting will be 2nd tier to raid stuff once again....not really sandboxish

Shinaji

Shinaji

The Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip

How will court/jail summoning work? Are guilty players automatically summoned after evidence against them is submitted, or will guards or players have to catch the murderer?

The guilty player will not be summoned automatically. We will inform the guilty player to appear in court, and if they don’t they’ll be put on a 'Wanted' list and other players can hunt him down.

I'm good.
"As instanced dungeons became popular, the whole world of MMORPGs became an entrance lobby to instanced dungeons. In my opinion, today’s MMORPGs are like theme parks – guaranteed fun with limited choices." ~ Jake Song

“Great ideas are often opposed by violent reactions of mediocre minds.” ~ Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Eligor

Eligor

Has no idea who Miura is...

• Super Moderators

So the main thing I got from this is crafting will be 2nd tier to raid stuff once again....not really sandboxish

You don't actually have instanced dungeons though. High difficulty monsters, from what I recall, means monsters like Lineage 2 world bosses.
The mechanics are almost the same, and I'm guessing you won't be 5manning those bosses anytime soon, in Lineage 2 you needed half the server to take them down.
Let's all pretend there's something really important written here...

Cavarath

Cavarath

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Death penalties during CBT3 were light. Will there eventually be more severe penalties for dying, especially via PK/PvP?

Regarding death penalties, we are considering item durability decreases and extended resurrection times. We could also add corpse runs. (We are not considering strong penalties such as experience point loss or item drops.) We have to find a balance to make death meaningful but not force players away from the game.

Uhm, nice idea but you are going to lose me with your casual crap. Didnt work XL, huh?
What a giant disappointment. Each single question besides the one with the wanted list are crap. Anything they will do is another casual bullshit game.
As i said, MMOs are dead.

Good that i will not have time to play the game anyway. GL guys.
I hope you are wasting less time wating for this crap game than most of you did waiting for TERA.
"Recent results of scientific research have shown that the wish of a person to get a ArcheAge beta key is the bigger the lower the post count." - Veryintelligent Person

Sleepy

Sleepy

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip

Uhm, nice idea but you are going to lose me with your casual crap. Didnt work XL, huh?
What a giant disappointment. Each single question besides the one with the wanted list are crap. Anything they will do is another casual bullshit game.
As i said, MMOs are dead.

Good that i will not have time to play the game anyway. GL guys.
I hope you are wasting less time wating for this crap game than most of you did waiting for TERA.

Im with cavarath on this one,so dissapointed xl went with this route... i was so looking forward to AA... oh wells on the good side i dont have to waste time waiting on it anymore. peace

ohiojosh78

ohiojosh78

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

You don't actually have instanced dungeons though. High difficulty monsters, from what I recall, means monsters like Lineage 2 world bosses.
The mechanics are almost the same, and I'm guessing you won't be 5manning those bosses anytime soon, in Lineage 2 you needed half the server to take them down.

That's fine. I mean I like it better than instanced dungeons but still... Instead of getting 50 people to go kill a dragon that magically poops out swords and armor when it dies, I'd rather have it drop scales and teeth that could be crafted into the high end items. It adds 2 things IMO. Crafted items would be the top tier stuff and more realistic drops. That's just my 2c. This wont keep me from playing seeing that AA is the most promising sandboxish game coming out, it's just a bit of a disappointment but then again no game is perfect to everyone.

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators
Did anyone seriously expect death penalties that could potentially make people ragequit the game?

XLGAMES doesn't look like a company that would stab itself in the foot to please a vocal niche group of players.

Other studios have tried to make those niche players happy and not many of them exist anymore.

Let's just be realistic. There's a lot more to ArcheAge than death penalties.

Shinaji

Shinaji

The Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
I'm going to see how it all comes together, instead of jumping ship for a few things that don't go the way I want.
I tend to take things as a whole instead of focusing on one part.
Until I feel out the full product I'm not going to be jumping ship.
"As instanced dungeons became popular, the whole world of MMORPGs became an entrance lobby to instanced dungeons. In my opinion, today’s MMORPGs are like theme parks – guaranteed fun with limited choices." ~ Jake Song

“Great ideas are often opposed by violent reactions of mediocre minds.” ~ Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Cavarath

Cavarath

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Did anyone seriously expect death penalties that could potentially make people ragequit the game?

XLGAMES doesn't look like a company that would stab itself in the foot to please a vocal niche group of players.

Other studios have tried to make those niche players happy and not many of them exist anymore.

Yeah like best loot from raids instead from crafting and armors and weapons as rewards for BGs AND open PvP.
I said all of the answers beside a single one are crap. Each single one.

There is no point in waiting for a game like ArcheAge. I could just play a usual WoW clone. Wouldnt make a siginificant difference.
"Recent results of scientific research have shown that the wish of a person to get a ArcheAge beta key is the bigger the lower the post count." - Veryintelligent Person

PsychoPigeon

PsychoPigeon

Professional Exaggerator

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Yeah like best loot from raids instead from crafting and armors and weapons as rewards for BGs AND open PvP.
I said all of the answers beside a single one are crap. Each single one.

There is no point in waiting for a game like ArcheAge. I could just play a usual WoW clone. Wouldnt make a siginificant difference.

Then leave, you think too much of yourself yet you contribute nothing. Just because there will be no crappy player loot you call it a WoW clone, pathetic.

moneda

moneda

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip

So the main thing I got from this is crafting will be 2nd tier to raid stuff once again...

Because your reading comprehension is abysmal. Crafted armor will be upgradeable, armor of the same tier acquired from drops will not.

Not to the morons; and I hope they do leave. This forum and the game's overall community would be better without them.

Hi, I'm moneda.

Cavarath

Cavarath

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Yet the same flames as usual when someone attacks a persons favorite game.
It was like that in Aion. It was like that in TERA. Most of them have quitted the game, or in case of TERA, left the community just as i did. And the ones left in the TERA community will do the same as they did with Aion after a month or two.

ArcheAge is going to be the next one. I dont feel like waisting my time anymore. No more "it could still be different". The way ArcheAge is going is definite now.
History repeats. You will see.

Shinaji

Shinaji

The Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
If someone wants to discontinue interest in the game, let them, don't argue are yell at them as they go.
Does no good, only builds contempt.
Been fun waiting with you guys, hope you find what you're looking for.

Leave it there.

Posted Image

Display removed

Display removed

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
I really dislike that they will be awarding gear from battlegrounds. They are fun as a distraction but should in no way be a main part of the game like they are in wow/warhammer/rift. Nothing kills outdoor PvP like instanced PvP for purples.

Shark

Shark

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Extremely disappointed as well.

I really thought they would do something nice, I really thought they'd provide the minimum bases for a real sandbox approach of the game.
But it just sounds like this game is being developped just so that WoW players actually get an opportunity to say "Hey look I've played a sandbox, no shit".

Everything that I thought would be obvious just still seems so obscure to them...

Not to the morons; and I hope they do leave. This forum and the game's overall community would be better without them.

This forum was absolutely all right like before you showed up? Why don't you leave and go back to bloody Aion or something?

Valadhiel

Valadhiel

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

I'm going to see how it all comes together, instead of jumping ship for a few things that don't go the way I want.
I tend to take things as a whole instead of focusing on one part.
Until I feel out the full product I'm not going to be jumping ship.

I'm with Shinanji on this. I want to see how it all comes together as a whole. And unlike some, I typically do not let other players' impressions cloud my own opinion. If folks are dissatisfied with the answers, let them be dissatisfied. I hope all you folks eventually find the game you seek. Or better yet ... you could always get into game design and try to make it yourselves. Not necessarily a simple route, but a route nevertheless.

I still wonder if they have started actively seeking a publisher for NA/EU though.

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators

I really dislike that they will be awarding gear from battlegrounds. They are fun as a distraction but should in no way be a main part of the game like they are in wow/warhammer/rift. Nothing kills outdoor PvP like instanced PvP for purples.

That's a maybe on the gear, and it probably won't be as good as gear from crafting or even questing. But hey, I guess that doesn't matter. Let's just have an arena with no reason to go in it, like Aion's. Yeah, those are swell. No connection to the game at all, just an arena for an arena's sake. That makes complete sense, what a great use of development time. :)

Or how about this...people use the battlegrounds for what they're meant to be: siege practice. The points are to judge how successful one would be in a real siege situation. Successful fighters get rewards and glory, as anyone else would. It's not the easiest way to get good gear, it probably takes more time than crafting, but it's a fun way to spend some time.

Eligor

Eligor

Has no idea who Miura is...

• Super Moderators

I'm with Shinanji on this. I want to see how it all comes together as a whole. And unlike some, I typically do not let other players' impressions cloud my own opinion. If folks are dissatisfied with the answers, let them be dissatisfied. I hope all you folks eventually find the game you seek. Or better yet ... you could always get into game design and try to make it yourselves. Not necessarily a simple route, but a route nevertheless.

I still wonder if they have started actively seeking a publisher for NA/EU though.

Indeed, we shouldn't run into conclusions atleast till the KR version of the game is released. They have said they are willing to change some stuff if the players don't like them the way they are during beta.

Now personally, the rewards for battlegrounds did kinda put me off but we still don't know if you need 10,20,200 wins to get anything worthwhile. It could be that the armor you get is purely just eyecandy. Won't know unless the thing is implemented, and as for raid gear and what not, world bosses (which from what I can figure out will be dropping the good stuff) are going to need close to 50 people if not more to take down, that's not an easy feat for a single guild and if two guilds join to take one down then again it just makes the gear even harder to get your hands on. This though doesn't affect crafted gear as crafted gear will be available in bigger quantity and has other bonuses that raid gear or pvp gear probably doesn't offer.

And a warning to people in-before things get too "hot" around here, no flaming or verbally assaulting another user, just keep it civil and if you want to make a point then just use valid arguments. And specially no mom jokes!
Let's all pretend there's something really important written here...

ShadeMoon

ShadeMoon

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip

Extremely disappointed as well.

I really thought they would do something nice, I really thought they'd provide the minimum bases for a real sandbox approach of the game.
But it just sounds like this game is being developped just so that WoW players actually get an opportunity to say "Hey look I've played a sandbox, no shit".

Everything that I thought would be obvious just still seems so obscure to them...

This forum was absolutely all right like before you showed up? Why don't you leave and go back to bloody Aion or something?

Don't worry all is not lost..

http://www.mmocultur...-in-making.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users