Something you write on the forums could show up here!
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Answers to Your Post-CBT3 Questions!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
102 replies to this topic

Azhidaahaka

Azhidaahaka

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Well a game like Rift is pretty fail to begin with since it follows the same sort of model that WoW has having primary content focused on PvE and very little PvP content to keep the real PvP crowd happy. Plus the speed at which you obtain gear (in Rift at least) makes the game short for hardcore players especially if you're doing solely PvP.

I played Rift right when it came out, so I was there for the headstart + the first month of game time and I was already level 50, almost completely full rank 6 pvp gear and had my rank 5 PvP weapon. All of this was done within about 25-30 days of playtime, which makes me wonder... What is the point in playing once you've done all that and you don't really feel like doing the PvE instance/raid content. Doing the same four warfronts over and over again once you've got your top end gear can only remain fun for so long.

But with that out of the way, classifying gear as PvE/PvP gear doesn't really help the game at all in the long run especially if you're going to reward players with best in slot items for your preferred type of gear from either a BG or raid and make one useless for the opposite style of play than what you obtained it from.

TRIBUNAL

TRIBUNAL

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
Well I saw what having little to no DP did to a game like Lineage 2 in it's last few years and I hope the Penalty will be high in this game. The developers have been pretty adamant about this being a pvp sandbox game. In the begining, when the penalty was high in that korean grind fest L2, it added so much to pvp. People wouldn't tap because the loss was too great. If they did they would get so mad, it would motivate them to form pvp groups and retaliate. This is the key to pvp because without it, you simply have little to no motivation to respond to being killed, which in the end means less good pvp. I couldn't disagree more with the statement about not wanting to drive players away because of an xp loss. The people who would be driven away by that type of thing are exactly the people you don't want in a pvp game. The truth is being a very pvp game to begin with the number of players who would do that should be very low. For pvpers this is what it is all about, making the enemy pay. This is what drives the enemy to gear up, level up, and form alliances to defeat you. Dying has to be very annoying at least for this game to succeed because carebears will never wind up liking it anyway. This means in the end the only people you should be making happy are the pvp types. If you want to market to a group of carebears you have to make a WoW lookalike.

My second concern is the battlegrounds/instance pvp. I do hope this doesn't turn into the lineage 2 type of pvp in the end where all you had was people camping the instanced no penalty type of pvp instead of the open world where you really get to test your skills and have the most fun.

PS: I can't believe this type of game has drawn people to it that are concerned enough to ask questions about the crafting... Please carebears, for the love of god, don't play this game.

Amaterasu

Amaterasu

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

PS: I can't believe this type of game has drawn people to it that are concerned enough to ask questions about the crafting... Please carebears, for the love of god, don't play this game.

Kinda sad to read this from a so-called PvP player. You do realize a good crafting system can improve the PvP system by a lot?
Just think, if the best gear is made through crafting, then everyone will fight over the ressources to make them. And that's just a small part of the benefits toward PvP, not going into more details. Just check out games like EvE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users