ArcheAge isn't about following a defined path, it's about creating a world by choosing the things that matter to you.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Any games like Archeage now?/ What to play till Open beta gets here

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Koba Dex

Koba Dex

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
I need to find a game to play till Archage opens its doors to us.

Can anyone recommend any good sandbox games or MMOs that are remotely like Archeage in epicness?

Not that these games are all 100% simillar to sandbox style gaming if at all but I have played to death or beat

Elder Scrolls-Oblivion
2 Worlds 2
World of Warcraft
Mabonagi
And Fallout 3/New Vegas
Witcher 2
Rift

Skyrim doesnt come out till November and I am looking for something to play now. I have dabbled in many f2p MMOs and all of them bore me and leave me wanting to play Archeage even that much more.

Anyone have any recomendations to pass the time till Archeage?

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators
Maybe Borderlands, if you like FPS/RPG games like Fallout.

Koba Dex

Koba Dex

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Maybe Borderlands, if you like FPS/RPG games like Fallout.

Ty for the recomendation. I have actually played it a while back. Probbaly should mention I have played Dragon Age origins and Dragon Age 2 and most other bioware games.

LOL a huge part of me wishes I never would have heard of Arcgeage till it was close to its Beta. Even though I have yet to try it I cant help but judge other games next to it. The only one I think will be an equal it in Sanboxy-ness is Skyrim. I have shown AA to various gaming friends etc and I have 3 vents full of people and a couple of guilds from various games pumped to make the change over to AA when it comes out.

Entaro

Entaro

Professional Strawberry Thief

• Super Moderators
Diablo 3 beta is supposed to start sometime this month.

Alternatively if you're into other styles of games you could try League of Legends (free2play and one of the few that's not pay2win), it's basically DotA with different stuff.

Koba Dex

Koba Dex

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Diablo 3 beta is supposed to start sometime this month.

Alternatively if you're into other styles of games you could try League of Legends (free2play and one of the few that's not pay2win), it's basically DotA with different stuff.

Ty for the recommendations. I play LoL often but am looking for something with more interaction. Do you know if the Diablo 3 will be open beta?

Entaro

Entaro

• Super Moderators
http://us.blizzard.c...tml#beta:d3-faq

That gives info on how to sign up for the Diable 3 beta. Blizzard generally invites people in waves depending on which things they want to test (system specs, etc.). As far as I know, anybody that applies will get in before the end of the beta testing period.

Eldaran

Eldaran

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
I keep telling people about this game even though it's not polished, but it is in open beta and supports building of towns and keeps. www.dawntide.net. Take it with a grain of salt though lol. It has a lot of work to be done but you can play for free. THe forums are full of information in the New Player section. Let me know if you have any questions.

Eligor

Eligor

Has no idea who Miura is...

• Super Moderators

I keep telling people about this game even though it's not polished, but it is in open beta and supports building of towns and keeps. www.dawntide.net. Take it with a grain of salt though lol. It has a lot of work to be done but you can play for free. THe forums are full of information in the New Player section. Let me know if you have any questions.

I just find it funny ESET blocks that site.
Let's all pretend there's something really important written here...

Eldaran

Eldaran

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

I just find it funny ESET blocks that site.

The site is down for maintenance at the moment anyway :D

Xiro

Xiro

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
I do believe in Dawntide you can only build in towns however, so don't plan on going off on your own and building your own place (a large part of what a sandbox should be), unless this has changed since I last looked at the game.

You might check out WURM, they just opened up some new land on the Freedom server.

Caduryn

Caduryn

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Thats wrong Furio, you can build on any unclaimed Territory.

And a game that is nearest to Archeage i think is Vanguard, massive open World, Playerhousing with different Housestyles and trillions of Furniture.
Shipbuilding and sailing, many different Mounts and flying Mounts and a great Crafting system.

but......its 100% PVE :P

http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/

Entaro

Entaro

• Super Moderators
Hmmmm, I've never actually played Vanguard or looked into it until now. I just heard from a couple people that the developers screwed up the game and it wasn't very good, but after seeing those trailers I'm considering giving it a try. The crafting system looks pretty in depth. Also, on the page where you go to download the trial ( http://vanguard.stat...com/isleofdawn/ ) it says "Master PvP or play the role of a Diplomat" so it seems it's not totally 100% PVE.

Will give it a shot once I get that job I'm looking for.

Caduryn

Caduryn

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Hm.....the PvP must be a typo....there was a PvP Server but not anymore, you only can make Duell.

Yes, the release was bad, but actually you have more to do as in any other mmo out, i would say Content for at least 2-3 Years. :P

Bangkok

Bangkok

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
My friends and I are in the same damn boat as you and many others. I am coming from Lineage 2 and Darkfall. My clan mates and I are waiting for a quality FFA sandbox. There are simply none worth playing atm. Sure, some people may have a few games they can recommend, but we are specifically looking for a PvP based game with some PvE aspects that is less that a year old. There are simply none that fit the bill. Everything out is catering to the carebears. Unfortunately, the carebears out number the hardcore PvPerz. The carebears have an endless supply of tears they love sharing on gaming forums to sway developers to make changes in their favor.

Archeage, is a breath of fresh air. I really hope they stick to their original plan of a PvP game at the core with a sprinkle of PvE. Unfortunately, as I read the forums , I see tons of carebearism in effect. You read ppl qqing about FFA , PvP, and/or Full loot. The carebears continue to try and change a great concept like Archeage into the next "WoW". The WoW kiddies have grown tired of WoW. It has had a long successful run after all. I have argued endlessly with ppl that claim WoW has pvp. That has always made me laugh. WoW is a PvE based game with some PvP. To me nothing is better then an open world where you can do whatever you like. If you want to gank/grief so be it. For the record, I am not into griefing ppl for no reason. I prefer PvP that is challenging.

Anyway, I am waiting on the following games to launch: SWTOR, T.E.R.A, Prime online and of course Archeage. I am only playing WoW with the Star Wars skin because I promised some friends I would try it. I do not have high hopes on T.E.R.A or Prime, but I will try them simply because there is nothing else to play. Archeage is my goose with the golden egg. I do understand that PvP based games are a niche. Unfortunately, in order for a PvP game to survive you need a healthy population. So, I am all for some PvE gaming aspects to be included in Archeage. I hope they add just enough to draw the PvE crowd. Maintaining a balance of PvP and PvE is crucial to the success of any MMO. After all, no matter how good a game is, the game is only as good as it's population and community.

For the record, I have nothing against Carebears, but I believe Mark Twain did. I believe it was Mark Twain who said, "The masses are asses."

Goodluck finding a good pvp game to fill your void till archeage arrives. I am currently playing Aion of all things. Yes, things are that bad for the PvP gaming world.

Efaicia

Efaicia

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
I enjoy PvP when there is a goal. So far the PvP aspects of AA seem exciting to me. This is coming from someone who came to mmo's for PvE and only had my first real taste of PvP with aion. The PvPvE group angainst group against npc's I found very exciting. The designated pvp zones were a lot of fun to hang out/hunt in. However I was always happy to escape it every now and again in the PvE zones with PvE oriented goals. Everyone needs downtime where they can just relax as well. And from what I have understood so far, I may be wrong, but AA is going to be the same with PvP designated open workd areas and PvE designated areas.
Efaicia
Soon to be;
The Eternally in Love,
Hopelessly Romantic,
and Strong Willed
Ferre!

Efaicia

Efaicia

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Just wanted to add That I spent some time in VG and it was a great game. They downgraded the character model graphics however, and I was not able to see past it when I logged in my bard to say hello a few weeks ago, the characters used to be very beautiful. Also i tried the link to diablo 3 beta registration..well then I saw the date of the post heh. More than likely I will play that until AA is released. I am bored to death with Rift mainly due to thier bard class being completely useless outside of a 20 man raid and in a raid is boring as hell to play :X Anyway! ty for mentioning Diablo 3 I almost forgot all about it due to my obsession with AA LOL
Efaicia
Soon to be;
The Eternally in Love,
Hopelessly Romantic,
and Strong Willed
Ferre!

sukumei

sukumei

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip

My friends and I are in the same damn boat as you and many others. I am coming from Lineage 2 and Darkfall. My clan mates and I are waiting for a quality FFA sandbox. There are simply none worth playing atm. Sure, some people may have a few games they can recommend, but we are specifically looking for a PvP based game with some PvE aspects that is less that a year old. There are simply none that fit the bill. Everything out is catering to the carebears. Unfortunately, the carebears out number the hardcore PvPerz. The carebears have an endless supply of tears they love sharing on gaming forums to sway developers to make changes in their favor.

Archeage, is a breath of fresh air. I really hope they stick to their original plan of a PvP game at the core with a sprinkle of PvE. Unfortunately, as I read the forums , I see tons of carebearism in effect. You read ppl qqing about FFA , PvP, and/or Full loot. The carebears continue to try and change a great concept like Archeage into the next "WoW". The WoW kiddies have grown tired of WoW. It has had a long successful run after all. I have argued endlessly with ppl that claim WoW has pvp. That has always made me laugh. WoW is a PvE based game with some PvP. To me nothing is better then an open world where you can do whatever you like. If you want to gank/grief so be it. For the record, I am not into griefing ppl for no reason. I prefer PvP that is challenging.

Anyway, I am waiting on the following games to launch: SWTOR, T.E.R.A, Prime online and of course Archeage. I am only playing WoW with the Star Wars skin because I promised some friends I would try it. I do not have high hopes on T.E.R.A or Prime, but I will try them simply because there is nothing else to play. Archeage is my goose with the golden egg. I do understand that PvP based games are a niche. Unfortunately, in order for a PvP game to survive you need a healthy population. So, I am all for some PvE gaming aspects to be included in Archeage. I hope they add just enough to draw the PvE crowd. Maintaining a balance of PvP and PvE is crucial to the success of any MMO. After all, no matter how good a game is, the game is only as good as it's population and community.

For the record, I have nothing against Carebears, but I believe Mark Twain did. I believe it was Mark Twain who said, "The masses are asses."

Goodluck finding a good pvp game to fill your void till archeage arrives. I am currently playing Aion of all things. Yes, things are that bad for the PvP gaming world.

Its kind of sad that PVP based games became niche really, they used to have it all. L2 bad everything except it took a step in the wrong direction. If you played L2 for as long as I did, you would lament pretty much everything from the WoW-esque vitality system to the stupid elemental stones.
I have a conception that Jake Song conceded a point to the carebears as far as PvP goes by not making it fully open. I think that as a man of integrity, he would keep it that way.

As for games right now..... I'm lucky I've played the Battlefield games for as long as I've played L2. RAGE just came out as well. Nothing online will even pique your fancy though.

P.S The only thing TERA will do for you is damage your health. I believe its from the headaches you get from trying to figure out where the L2 is in TERA which was made from some people that claimed they had a hand in developing L2 in the first place.

Kaedan

Kaedan

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
You know, i'm going to check out Dawntide. If any RP'ers want to get together over there.. let me know :) will be fun for some RP at least.

Entaro

Entaro

• Super Moderators
Just found out about this game, might be a fun way to pass the time until AA gets here:

http://www.wurmonline.com/

Averrie

Averrie

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
I am playing console games right now.

Giving.my spouse a chance to use the computer after a 1.5 year WoW splurge, which I learned, was about one year too long. lol

Right now, I am playing some MW3 with a few friends. It passes time.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users