Jake Song's real name is Song Jae-kyeong.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Level up questions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Tyrogon

Tyrogon

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
ive been reading around and was wondering if anyone knew any more details on how leveling up works. how do you get new skills and can you choose to further upgrade skills?

will you be able to get all your skills or do you have to make some choices?

are there passive abilities you get as you level up?

ive watched a few videos of people who i think were in ctb3. this is all what i could figure off watching these videos. i noticed that each time they leveled up they seemed to be able to only get one new skill.

there seemed to be a separate group of abilities under each skill tree. i was wondering if anyone new what these were. i was figuring they were some kind of mount abilities but also thought they might be passives or special racial abilities.

Eligor

Eligor

Has no idea who Miura is...

• Super Moderators
Every new level you get skill points which you use to learn or improve skills from what I remember.

You will not be able to get all your skills by the looks of it, though since we never reached the level cap we can't say for sure.

The 3 skill trees where the 3 classes you pick when you make your character since your character is essentially a mix of 3 classes. Can't say about racial abilities though I think it was hinted that they might add some. Don't have the CBT3 videos handy so can't tell you for sure though.
Let's all pretend there's something really important written here...

Zil

Zil

Just Do It

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Every new level you get skill points which you use to learn or improve skills from what I remember.

You will not be able to get all your skills by the looks of it, though since we never reached the level cap we can't say for sure.

The 3 skill trees where the 3 classes you pick when you make your character since your character is essentially a mix of 3 classes. Can't say about racial abilities though I think it was hinted that they might add some. Don't have the CBT3 videos handy so can't tell you for sure though.

Racial's would be nice, but I hate it when people have a discussion about some race's innate abilities to be too powerful and stuff, so they need to properly deal with it. I'd be satisfied if those abilities only influence crafting and utility skills that would give an advantage of either seeing further thanks to a zoom or being able to climb tree's higher without losing endurance etc.

I don't want to see a 2 second stun for the "big" race just because they look beef.

Posted Image

Amaterasu

Amaterasu

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Actually you get 1 skill point every 2 levels. You can upgrade skills you own (by paying a fee) everytime the tree lvl up. Also to be noted each tree has its separate XP bar. If you were to reset/change one tree, you would have to lvl it up again.

As for the skills under each tree, I suppose you meant these OP:

Attached File  ArcheAgeSkillsTree.jpg   73.32KB   58 downloads

These are passive abilities. They usually enhance your active skills (like 50% chance to reset teleport CD or increase aoe heal strenght by 10%). Finally, being able to get all skills will depends on the max lvl, but if it's really lvl50, then you can't have all skills.

Tyrogon

Tyrogon

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Actually you get 1 skill point every 2 levels. You can upgrade skills you own (by paying a fee) everytime the tree lvl up. Also to be noted each tree has its separate XP bar. If you were to reset/change one tree, you would have to lvl it up again.

As for the skills under each tree, I suppose you meant these OP:

Attached File  ArcheAgeSkillsTree.jpg   73.32KB   58 downloads

These are passive abilities. They usually enhance your active skills (like 50% chance to reset teleport CD or increase aoe heal strenght by 10%). Finally, being able to get all skills will depends on the max lvl, but if it's really lvl50, then you can't have all skills.

thanks. sounds like a good system that can have alot of diversity. it looks like you have to spend a skill point to buy a passive. system looks like it gives room for alot of diversity. if can is 50 and you always get one point every other level you would have to choose 25 out of ~48 skills/passives (i excluded the 3 you start with).

Eligor

Eligor

• Super Moderators
That sounds about right, there was a discussion about the same thing, if i'm not mistaken in the CBT3 thread. And I would urge people to read that as it offers quite a lot of info we saw during last CBT.

Entaro

Entaro

Professional Strawberry Thief

• Super Moderators
Yes, what Amaterasu said is correct. Unfortunately we didn't get to make it past lvl 25 in CBT3, but some others made it as far as lvl 30. Somewhere on the korean discussion of skills I read that after lvl 25 you get a skill point to spend after every level so the potential is definitely there to get most of your skills. The passive skills at the bottom of the tree use up a skill point as well. Skills are unlocked in order from top to bottom as your level increases (with the passive skills doing the same as part of their own sub-tree).

As for the upgrading of skills, it seems like they each have individual hidden levels where you unlock the upgraded versions of the skills. So say you get this fireball skill at lvl 1, you might be able to upgrade it again at lvl 3 to have Fireball 2, and then again at lvl 5 to get Fireball 3, etc. but for another skill like Magic Shield you might have to wait 5 levels instead of 2 before you can upgrade the skill. Also important to note is that upgrading these skills does not use up a skill point, it just costs money.

In CBT3, if you switched even a single class, all of your skill points and upgrades were reset so you had to redistribute them and pay for all the upgrades again (even on the two classes that you didn't switch). If the system stays like this and you plan on switching classes frequently you're gonna have no money. While simply changing classes is cheap, upgrading all the skills again really sucks your wallet dry after a few class switches. It's therefore more economical to change all 3 classes than just 1.

Sarathor

Sarathor

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Hmm, I was thinking you had to level the skills up through combat. I wish I was in beta.

Entaro

Entaro

Professional Strawberry Thief

• Super Moderators

Hmm, I was thinking you had to level the skills up through combat. I wish I was in beta.

In a way, you do level up your skills through combat. When you get exp from killing mobs, completing quests or even using labour points (yes, you get exp for this!) it levels up your character and each class that you have active. When your class reaches certain levels you have the option to upgrade certain skills for a fee.

Eligor

Eligor

• Super Moderators
I think Sarathor was thinking of a system similar to RF Online where every time you used a skill or buff it got XP and eventually leveled. So your buffs would level up the more you used them and give you better bonuses and duration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users