Development of ArcheAge began sometime in 2006.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Territory Wars and Third Continent Opinion

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

pathosgray

pathosgray

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
http://www.archeage..../448?mediaType=

From this video, you can see that the core, much needed component for building a 'castle', is fairly large and visible. Also the area in which the core is used in order to take over land is limited as well. Which means that there is a possibility of massive pvp in these areas. Since these cores are dropped when the user carrying it logs out or is killed I feel like a lot of blood is going to be shed. Not only that, it is also possible to camp around a spot until someone or a group appears with the core. Then an ambush occurs and the attackers may be able to take the territory should they succeed in taking the core.

Which means that it feels as if there will be a lot of PvP and raids.

'Wars' have already been introduced as 50 vs. 50. But this is kind of a free for all.

I feel that this might turn some users off as the third continent is the main 'endgame' content. Not only that, from what I know so far, there is no punishment system within the third continent for the kills. So no matter how much blood is scattered all over the place, no one can actually report the PKer in. Of course, it is hinted that the city can grow to gain jails and such, but it's assumed that it'd take a long time. So it'd be a PKer's heaven for a while (Not that there is much benefit in PKing in Archeage anyways).

Now I am wondering if this might turn some people off.
Sure you can still stay on Nuian or Hariharan continent and be peaceful. But some players enjoy traveling and PvE. Not only that, in order to get to higher levels, it's advisable that players move onto the third continent (lv. estimated around 35 and higher). I know that European and American players are mostly not into PKs and tend to be peaceful, so I am wondering if this content will turn them off.

So yea, just curious.
:)

Amaterasu

Amaterasu

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Now I am wondering if this might turn some people off.

What? No way! The 3rd continent and its sandbox content is the very reason that made me interested in ArcheAge. Only thing with this feature bothering me is the lack of penalty upon death. I like when death is meaningful. Aside from that i'm all for wars and geopolitics between players!
(I'm guessing you're the same Pathosgray from the ArcheAge KR boards btw?)

Shinaji

Shinaji

The Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Well most of the people on these forums are here waiting for the game because they want this kind of PvP, though some want it harsher and some want it softer.
But everyone should know by now that this is along the lines of what to expect.

I don't know I feel the first two continents will have enough things to amuse the faint of heart.
"As instanced dungeons became popular, the whole world of MMORPGs became an entrance lobby to instanced dungeons. In my opinion, today’s MMORPGs are like theme parks – guaranteed fun with limited choices." ~ Jake Song

“Great ideas are often opposed by violent reactions of mediocre minds.” ~ Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Prodigy

Prodigy

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
While the game with the biggest penalty of death for me I have played is EVE(losing my Nightmare fighting against the goonies) I find a death penalty like that both annoying and adrenaline rush like lol. High death penalty or low penalty I will play this game as long as pvp is fun and worth something. I'm most interested in how they said groups of players can form thier own countries and stuff which is very enticing to me. While i would prefer harsh penalties,I will play either way:D as long as the casuals don't come ruin the game.

PsychoPigeon

PsychoPigeon

Professional Exaggerator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Turn some people off? Sure, if they don't like pvp.

Prodigy

Prodigy

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Turn some people off? Sure, if they don't like pvp.

Hopefully the devs leave enough for them to do on the other 2 continents then so the non pvpers don't cry and ruin it for the pvpers...but...knowing the western market it will probably happen.

Entaro

Entaro

Professional Strawberry Thief

• Super Moderators

http://www.archeage.com/pds/media/show/448?mediaType=

From this video, you can see that the core, much needed component for building a 'castle', is fairly large and visible. Also the area in which the core is used in order to take over land is limited as well. Which means that there is a possibility of massive pvp in these areas. Since these cores are dropped when the user carrying it logs out or is killed I feel like a lot of blood is going to be shed. Not only that, it is also possible to camp around a spot until someone or a group appears with the core. Then an ambush occurs and the attackers may be able to take the territory should they succeed in taking the core.

Just curious as to where you got the info saying that the cores are dropped when the user carrying it logs out or is killed and that they are a required component to build a castle.

Also they have mentioned that castle sieges will only be done during specified times to prevent unreasonable demands on protecting a castle (i.e. not 24/7 protection required), so once a castle is built after the first time you probably won't need the cores anymore as ownership of it may just transfer to the winners of the siege. They'll probably be a lot more organized than the free-for-all pvp you were talking about. Add to that the fact that in the previous videos of completed castles and castles under construction there were none of these "cores" visible, and I'm suspicious as to how these cores are related to castles if at all.

pathosgray

pathosgray

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Amaterasu; Yes, I am that pathosgray from the open forum. :3

Entaro;

http://www.thisisgam...38&subcategory=

This is a Korean interview from thisisgame.com with one of the staffs.
3차에 비해 하우징 시스템이 얼마나 발전했나?

하우징은 양적으로 중형 주택이 추가되고 원정대 단위로 누릴 수 있는 굉장히 큰 저택도 추가됐다. 2~3층 정도 되는데 일단은 개인이 소유하고 지을 수 있어서 원정대 하우스라는 이름은 붙이지 않았다. 가격이 꽤 비싸서 이걸로 80일을 버텨주지 않을까?(웃음)

가장 큰 변화는 재료를 인벤토리가 아니라 직접 들고 가서 짓는 방식이다. 이로써 무역이나 배를 몰아야 하는 이유가 생긴 것이다. 유저가 벤 나무는 인벤토리로 가지만, 집을 짓기 위해 제작소에서 가공하면 꾸러미가 생긴다. 이것은 인벤토리가 아니라 등에 지고 다닌다.

등에 짐을 지면 뛸 수 없어서 걷는 속도로 이동해야 하고, 탈것을 타면 조금 더 빨리 이동할 수 있지만 탈것도 걷는 속도라서 큰 차이는 없다. 배나 역마차 같은 공용 탈것은 이동 속도에 제한이 없다.

등짐의 특징은 로그아웃을 하거나 죽었을 때 땅에 떨어지는 것이다. 즉 인벤토리 안에 있는 아이템이 아니라서 언제든지 소유권이 바뀔 수 있다는 위험이 따른다.

신대륙은 도시 근처에 하우징 공간이 있어서 위험 요소가 적겠지만, 넓은 원대륙에서는 짐을 지고 이동하는 거리가 멀어서 위험하다. 특히 오염된 원대륙을 정화해서 영지를 선포하기 위해 필요한 ‘아키움’ 광석은 등에 지고 가야 해서 영지 선포를 하기 직전까지도 위험에 노출된다. 짐을 진 상태에서는 텔레포트도 불가능하다.

즉 다른 사람이 빼앗아서 영지를 선포해 버릴 수 있다. 처음에는 원대륙에 생산 시설이 없어서 그것들이 생기기 전까지는 신대륙에서 제작해서 배로 옮겨야 한다. 해적이 그것을 약탈해서 다른 재원으로 활용할 수도 있다.

짐 중에는 오래된 유물이나 값비싼 물건도 있어서 사냥을 하다가 갑자기 등에 붙기도 한다. 신대륙에 있는 NPC에게 주면 돈을 많이 벌 수 있는데, 물론 이것도 옆에 있던 유저가 빼앗을지도 모른다. 이런 긴장감이 하나의 재미가 되지 않을까 생각한다. 단순히 아이템을 떨어트리는 것이 아니라 유저의 선택에 따라 상황이 달라질 수 있는 요소라고 생각한다.

This is a really rushed on and on spot translation. the information is correct but the tone is most likely not.

Compared to the 3rd closed beta testing, how much has the housing system been advanced?

Middle sized housing has been added as well as a large housing for guild. It is 2~3 floors and we didn't name it guild housing as an individual can own/build it. It's really expensive, so it perhaps it would last through the 80 days? (laugh)

The largest change is that the materials are carried, instead of being stored in inventory, to build the house. By doing so causes the need for sea trading and riding on the boat. The tree cut by the user goes into the inventory, but when refined in order to build a house it becomes a package. This does not go into the inventory and is carried on the back.

When a package is on the back, they cannot run so must travel in walking speed. When they ride on the horse, they can move a bit faster but the horse too will be walking. Boats and carriages do not have speed limit.

The special property of these packages is that when logged out or killed, it drops to the ground. So as it is not in the inventory there is a threat that its ownership may change anytime.

The existing continents will have housing area near city and thus less danger, but in the large third continent the distance is long so it is dangerous. Especially in order to cleanse the third continent and declare ownership of the land 'Akium' has to be carried on the back so until the very moment before the declaration of ownership is the danger. With the package on the back, it is impossible to teleport.

Meaning that another person can forcefully take it and declare the ownership of land. Since there has YET to be production system in the third continent, until then it must be refined and carried over by the boat. Pirates can steal these and use it.

Among the packages is old antiques and expensive items and may attach itself to the back of the character during hunting. The two original continent NPCs will give a lot of money for these items, but the user next to you may steal them. We think that this may add onto the excitement of the game. It's not just simply dropping an item but situation may differ according to user's choices.

According to that article, the Akium (Also just referred to as core as well) must be carried on the character's back and is dropped when the character carrying it logs out or is killed. It is also a required component as it is required to 'purify' the land in order to own it. And then you can build a castle on it.

And yes, the castle will have it's own separate wars, which will be that 50 vs. 50. But it's much more organized. It's team A and team B against each other. However in the beginning and perhaps afterwards as well, the chaos will occur as it is a free for all until all the available areas are taken over. This means that yes, there will be ambushes that might also be ambushed. So it's not just a simple siege as this will require to look out for many enemies that may attack each other as well. Obviously this will cause chaotic PvP in certain situations and areas.

Hope this helped. :D

Entaro

Entaro

• Super Moderators
Wow, that's awesome! Thanks so much for the translation. It's way better than anything we get from Google.

Looks like making a house/castle on the 3rd continent will be pretty tough and also quite risky without a lot of friends or a very remote location. Definitely gives some rewards for those who like PvP though. I can't wait to see the benefits for owning a castle in the 3rd continent.

Are you going to be participating in CBT4?

pathosgray

pathosgray

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
No problem. And sorry that it's very sloppy. ^^" Today is bad English day for me...;;

And yes, my guild is kind of planning on raiding these... people. So it'll be pretty interesting. From what I've gathered, I know that there are at least couple of more guilds who plan on doing the same. I mean.. it's a lot less work? ;D

I am hoping to participate in CBT4. Not certain if they will close off the servers when I can be on, so I am not really sure. But if not, then I'll definitely be playing through the night.

By the way, there is also a rumor going around that the core will be vulnerable for a certain amount of time even after it is placed. Not sure how long nor why though...

Entaro

Entaro

• Super Moderators
Yeah, I'm hoping the servers are up 24/7 so that I can have more playing time. Last CBT I had to play from 11pm to 8am. :( As for your English, it's pretty damn good. Sounds like you're a native English speaker in all of your posts.

And yes, my guild is kind of planning on raiding these... people. So it'll be pretty interesting. From what I've gathered, I know that there are at least couple of more guilds who plan on doing the same. I mean.. it's a lot less work? ;D

That thought crossed my mind as well but I figured I wouldn't be with a large enough group of people to succeed as the people you kill would just come back again and again if the distances were close and the battles were relatively even. We'll have to see how far apart the resurrection shrines are on the 3rd continent.

Also we'd love to see anything you and your guild manage to build so we can record it for the Western audiences to see. :)

pathosgray

pathosgray

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Thankies. And I am kind of a native speaker. ^^" I've lived long enough but maybe not enough for me to stop getting it confused with Korean...

Well if you hit and run with the magic then get close with stun combo, it might be possible. Especially if they are not expecting it. I can see assassin characters being popular again now... Also I don't think that there is a resurrection shrine on the 3rd continent. It has to be purified first, so I am guessing that there will be no resurrection shrine for a while. But I did read in one of the interviews somewhere that teleportation to the 3rd continent will be possible (without package on the back of course). So it might just go; death>revive>teleport>death> repeat.

And I'll try to upload videos and the likes. But I am not sure if my guildies will approve. If they do, then I will probably update frequently. Also Crazy Killer (CK) , the guild I am in, is a PK guild... So I don't know if there will be any housing and etc. though there will be a boat.

Shinaji

Shinaji

The Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Excellent I was hoping there would be a reason for attacking ships at sea!
"As instanced dungeons became popular, the whole world of MMORPGs became an entrance lobby to instanced dungeons. In my opinion, today’s MMORPGs are like theme parks – guaranteed fun with limited choices." ~ Jake Song

“Great ideas are often opposed by violent reactions of mediocre minds.” ~ Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Prodigy

Prodigy

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
All sounds good, as i've stated before I just hope they keep it to this! I am not looking forward to "PIRATES TOOK OUR castle after we worked so hard for it!" "must be fixed so they cant do that!"..People who like it(majority hopefully) to busy playing game to comment..

few weeks later....

**UPDATE**

Castles are no longer able to be attacked or taken by opposing players!

This is one of the first of many updates to help the game grow!!

few months later...

**UPDATE**

ARCHEAGE GOING F2P and/or closing down servers due to lack of population. WTF HAPPENED

Branwulf

Branwulf

Crestfallen Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
This is good news, these kind of challenges make a game worth playing, I desperately hope that it comes to the west sooner rather than later.

dengar

dengar

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Since it's only for conquering territory, it means that the carebears can come in later and do the more balanced stuff (like 50v50 wars).

Honestly, I see AA taking the drug dealer approach to sandbox gameplay. Give'em a taste of some nice PvE stuff and mechanics not offered by other games, show them how those mechanics can be used to create their own content, then put them in situations where they gotta use it. BAM! Hooked for life ;P

Aspira

Aspira

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
Thanks a lot for the translation dude.

I really hope that productions systems capable of making packages are never put on the 3rd continent, and if they are, it needs to be a massively expensive and super hard thing that players need to create. At least, I hope thats what the "yet" meant and they don't just add some in at a later date as if there are none or very very few, it almost enforces sea trade, and with enforced sea trade, there will be loads of pirates and naval battles!!

pathosgray

pathosgray

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

I really hope that productions systems capable of making packages are never put on the 3rd continent, and if they are, it needs to be a massively expensive and super hard thing that players need to create. At least, I hope thats what the "yet" meant and they don't just add some in at a later date as if there are none or very very few, it almost enforces sea trade, and with enforced sea trade, there will be loads of pirates and naval battles!!

I am almost 100% sure that by 'YET' they meant that users would have to build it. This means that users will have to refine items in the two continents and then bring it to the third continent to build anything. This also includes building the master production equipment tablet, bench, whatchamacallit. So far, I've only heard of the master production equipment being able to be built. Not only that, you can only build it within the housed area, meaning the house must be built first. So I am guessing that sooner or later, there will be a production system being set up in the third continent. However it isn't something that is massively hard to build, just expensive. So I am going to guess that there will be a lot of low leveled refined objects being traded in the third continent while the higher level refined objects will be exported into the two continents.

Also I personally don't think that it's a good idea to not allow refinement system on the third continent. This will increase the pirates, merchants, etc. but the prices would take a jet pack and fly through the universe. Then only the rich can afford to build houses and all that good stuff while the poor wail in complaint and pain. I've seen couple of games being shut down as the result of this and I don't want to see Archeage suffer that way. So instead, I believe (and is likely) that the third continent will have a certain kind of refinement system but it'll be for higher level items and specialized to only refine the third continent's resources.

By the way, I've seen it in a screenshot somewhere but the master equipment/refining bench and etc. costs about 50golds to buy the plan. Not sure if it was 15 golds or 50 golds, but it'll be expensive. I don't think it requires more ingredients then a house though...

Amaterasu

Amaterasu

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Well towns and castles will probably be destructible on the 3rd continent, so it creates a cycle. If a faction lose a territory and conquer another one, they will have to rebuild from scratch and import ressources again.

pathosgray

pathosgray

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

Well towns and castles will probably be destructible on the 3rd continent, so it creates a cycle. If a faction lose a territory and conquer another one, they will have to rebuild from scratch and import ressources again.

I didn't think that they have to rebuild it from scratch... Ouch... Spending all that money to buy ammos and etc. and winning, only to realize that they need more money to build the castle! I thought of it more as fixing the castle...;; I guess even in game, gold is just about everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users