ArcheAge isn't about following a defined path, it's about creating a world by choosing the things that matter to you.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Lore] The First Expeditionary Force

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Wanderer

Wanderer

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

The First Expeditionary Force
The Tale of 12 Important Figures, Thousands of Years Ago

Posted Image

PREFACE

For some time, the official Korean ArcheAge website has been posting more and more content under the "worldview" section of the site. This information has not yet been brought over to the English mirror. Out of impossible curiosity, I embarked on a bit of a quest to try to make sense of the stories beyond that of simple Google translations. Bear in mind, that as I do this, I don't speak any Korean. My methodology for "translating" these stories, so to speak, lies in cross-referencing both Babylon translations, and Yahoo!'s Babelfish translators. I am also using several references for Hangul-to-Romanized Korean to locate proper nouns and refrain from jumbling them in to some kind of jumbled sentence (though I admit I might have slipped up and missed a few).

The "translation" I'm providing here may not be entirely accurate, but it will at least, hopefully, give you an early glimpse in to some of ArcheAge's Lore. If anyone here does speak a substantial amount of Korean, I very much welcome your corrections and will edit accordingly. My "translations" do include some literary embellishment that might not accurately reflect the original Korean text, just to give the story a little bit of a narrative flow.

Please note that I have already posted this information to ArcheAgeRolePlay.
I strongly encourage people who are interested in lore and/or roleplay to visit the site, sign up, and watch for updates there. I will continue to "translate" the stories of the important historical characters as they appear on the Korean website. It's not certain how long it will take me to cross-post to ArcheAge Source.

ORIGINAL KOREAN TEXT

Link to the Official Korean site, and the story of the First Expeditionary Force Posted Image

ROUGH ENGLISH TRANSLATION

The First Expeditionary Force

A strong gust of wind surged forth from the cavern in the ground. Dust and pebbles were kicked up by its sudden force. In to the vast and infinite sky they drifted, then vanished. Everyone looked up. Then they looked down... Just how deep was this cavern?

"Scary."

Gene spoke without meaning to, realizing too late that Tahyang had overheard him. He sheepishly rubbed his neck.

"If you say that out loud, it only becomes more true."

"Never in Delfinad1 have I heard such nonsense. You'll make him faint."

Lucius said, approaching the edge of the sudden steep decline in to the deep cavern. This startled Eanna in to reaching for his collar and yanking him back, fearing he would fall in. At this, Aranzebia laughed loudly.

"And here we have the fearless poet."

"I wouldn't say fearless, per se. He was like this in Delfinad."

Eanna let go of his collar, then slowly swung a mock-punch up at Lucius's jaw. Lucius fell, playing dead, then Tahyang asked.

"What did you see?"

"'See,' my ass. There's fog everywhere."

Just then, Gene picked up a stone and threw it in to the cavern. They listened, but heard nothing. Gene blinked, then Tahyang began to pick up stones and throw them with incredible force. Despite the strength of the Ferre's arm, there was still no sound. Gene said.

"I'd guess it's deeper than two-hundred meters."

Gene understood the strength of his friend. As the colleagues spoke, they moved on to a narrow ledge around the inner edge of the cavern--a bridge, leading down in to its depths. Aranzebia cried out in bewilderment.

"Where are you going?"

There was no answer, then Aranzeb stepped forward and silently nodded to the rest of the force to follow along down the path.

"To measure the uneven width of the ledge."

Kyprosa, who, until then, had been lost in thought, lifted her gaze.

"Are you trying to figure out the radius of the entire cavern? Go a little further if possible."

They set off to pinpoint two positions along the curvature of the cavern's walls, so they could measure its radius, in order to calculate its circumference, as they had learned in Delfinad. Aranzeb then grinned.

"Of course, there is no guarantee, but."

"No. This rough circular cavern. Are we at the center of the world?"2

Both of the mages present understood what he was saying, but it seemed the others did not. Kyprosa didn't say anything but looked to the two men. She took hold of Lucius's hand and shook it.

"Mages have a general understanding of the cipher. Let's continue moving. Do we happen to know how to make the lift emerge?"

"Isn't there a handle for the lift?"

Olot said and Lucius laughed loudly.

"Indeed! Perhaps we'll let the girls lead."

The twelve adventurers soon began their expedition further in to the cavern, along the ledges. To their right was an endless wilderness. To their left, the infinite darkness of the cavern, captivating them with such contrast, emanating in their hearts. The simple fact that they were present here now, was nothing short of miraculous. The world had many hidden secrets, and they had to be revealed someday.

Finally, they happened upon something. It wasn't a lift, but floating stone stairs. They could use them like stepping stones. One step at a time, descending further in to the cavern.

"Oh boy."

Eanna was pressing on, admirably, but she continued to glance down with fear. She looked to Melisara when the latter said.

"It cuts off."

Melisara had amazing eyesight. She was peering down at the stairs, overlapping in some places, but clearly broken in others. Having even better eyesight, Tahyang came to her side and also peered down.

"No. It joins back together towards the bottom."

Ferre eyesight was more than twice as strong as human eyesight. What Tahyang saw was invisible to everyone else. Ollo stroked his beard, looking uneasy.

"Is there anywhere from here to go but down?"

"If you're worried, I'll let you hold on to my skirt and you can follow me."

Aranzebia teased. The female elf didn't seem to be in the least bit worried about the stairs.

"How will you get down there? It's blacker than night, you don't even know if there's a floor there. You might not be able to come back up."

"Even so, will you not go?"

It was the first time anyone heard Inoch speak since beginning the expedition. His tone was almost excited. His voice was always so calm, it was strange to hear it crack a bit with excitement. Then Aranzeb spoke.

"I'm going."

All eyes turned on to him. Lucius nodded and muttered.

"I don't know if we'll ever return from this. Hell, my world's been turned upside down just by the mere proof of the existence of this place. I want to experience it, for future generations."

Anyone who was that concerned for their own well-being wouldn't have come so far. Suddenly, Gene gave the rock he was leaning against a friendly pat.

"Want to leave our names? Carve them right here?"

That was a strange day. No one argued further about different opinions for where to go, moved by the child-like proposal of carving their names in to a rock, never to be forgotten. Aranzeb bent down and picked up a stone from the floor, casting a spell on to it.

"This should do."

The stone was glowing on one end. Kyprosa was the first to take up the glowing rock, and carve her name in to the wall. It carved through the wall with ease, like drawing in the sand on a beach. She handed it to Orchidna, who sloppily and lopsidedly added her name, then handed it to Tahyang as the Ferre laughed.

"Let's see."

Tahyang awkwardly scribed his name in the official language, like everyone else, simply to make it collaborative, he claimed. Gene wrote his name with some difficulty. Gene handed the stone to Melisara. Melisara hesitated for a moment, looking a bit detached. It seemed that Gene, somehow, had never heard Melisara's name before."

"Come on, I'm next."

Lucius was growing impatient with Melisara and eventually snatched the stone out of her hand and wrote. Then Eanna. She wrote her name neatly, then handed the stone to Aranzeb, who said.

"Teacher's turn."

Aranzeb wrote, then passed the stone to Aranzebia, who also wrote before passing it to Ollo, and he too wrote. Inoch's had a short name to write, then turned around.

"I will write a name for you."

Naima didn't speak the language. She couldn't write.

In the beginning, the Mother created the twelve ancestors, and future generations returned to the place they discovered. They walked a long road back to that world, to the Hill Forgotten3.

The carvings in the rock were left for thousands of years. Since then, those who come across this rock will see this.

Kyprosa Daeior

Orchidna4

Tahyang Kahlzit

Gene Evernight

Melisara Livolla

Lucius Quinto6

Eanna Nimush

Aranzeb

Aranzebia

Ollo8

Inoch

Naima9

TRANSLATION NOTES

"Delfinad" is my bad guess at the romanization for the term "Delpinadeu," which was the name of the capitol city on the Continent of Origin / Lost Continent, where all races lived together in harmony 2,000 years ago, before the great Nuiyan / Hariharan schism.

2 "The center of the world" will more than likely be named something unique upon localization. It seems like the mages in this story regard it as something significant enough to where they have commonly studied it.

3 "Hill Forgotten" is a translation I'm completely unsure of. I think that there's a proper noun in there somewhere. If I recall correctly, there are ruins on a hill on the Lost Continent that apparently play a big role in ArcheAge's lore. I'd bet that this is supposed to be the name of that location. But, again, I can only speculate.

4 "Orchidna" is my rough guess of what "okideuna" will translate in to upon localization. Okideu does translate to "Orchid," so this is a somewhat educated guess. I don't know if Orchidna is a male or female. I've referred to this character in the story as a male but it is unconfirmed. EDIT: Orchinda confirmed as canon name.

5 Tahyang's first name is spelled differently in two locations on the official English site. I used "Tahyang," arbitrarily. The last name in Korean is Kaljiteu, which I've guessed is just "Kaljit." This website makes the same guess, denoting it, of course, as just a guess. EDIT: Tahyang Kahlzit confirmed as canon name.

6 Lucius Quinto is a fairly educated guess on the romanization of Rukiuseu Kwinto. Researched separately, the Hangul "Rukiuseu" brings up articles on men named Lucius, and "Kwinto" brings up results about people with the name Quinto, each in their roman spellings. This website again makes the same guess. EDIT: Lucius Quinto confirmed canon localized name.

7 "Anna" may be incorrect, but I went with it for ease. Since simple names like "Gene" also make an appearance, I thought this might not be a huge stretch. "Nimos" was derived by separately researching the Hangul for "Nimuswe." Her name in Korean phonetics is "Eanna Nimuswe." This website once again also has a guess, but it's different than mine. This author guesses her name will be Eanna Nimush. EDIT: The author was right. Canon name confirmed as Eanna Nimush

8 The Korean phonetic for Olot is "Ollo." I did independent research on the Hangul for his name and found references to a city named Olot. This character is assumed to be a male because, if the translation was right, he was described as bearded. Possibly means he's a Dwarf too. No idea. EDIT: Canon name confirmed to be Ollo, and he is a dwarf.

9 Naima is the Korean phonetic of this name. It's hard to tell how they might localize it. Naima is a Western name, as is Nayma, and other similar names. The scene where Inoch writes for her suggests this child doesn't speak the common language. It's possible she's some kind of other race... or maybe she's a fairy, and Inoch wrote for her since she was so small. EDIT: Name confirmed to be Naima. Not sure if she's a fairy still.

The ArcheAge RP Community:

Posted Image

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators
This rocks! Thanks for the translation and effort. :)

I love reading lore, it gives me reason to play the game.

Entaro

Entaro

Professional Strawberry Thief

• Super Moderators
Indeed, we greatly appreciate members of the community that step up and really get into the game and share what they know. :)

CyclopsSlayer

CyclopsSlayer

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Thank you! Love that we are starting to get Lore details.
So much more useful than dropping it into Google.

Miyafuji

Miyafuji

Hidoi !

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
Yeah this is good read and good info. Shame i cannot do more to Wandered then increasing his rep. :P

dengar

dengar

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Nice one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users