Just so you know, AAS = ArcheAgeSource.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hiring NPCs

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

Galadhir

Galadhir

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
The English language version of ArcheAge.com states the following about labor:

This labor power can be used for production, construction, crafting
and other entertainment activities.
The labor power can be lent to other users,
and in that sense, if you are in lack of
labor power, you can borrow it from
somebody else or hire servant NPCs.
The labor power required
to be spent varies depending on the activity.

Has this option been implemented in CB? If so, is this the only purpose for which you can hire an NPC?

It would be great if you could hire a number of these and get an actual supply chain going.

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators
These NPC's are probably for the guild castle, selling NPC and such.
An NPC to follow and fight for u would be stupid.

Galadhir

Galadhir

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Not that I'm advocating it, but I don't see how that would be any different from having a combat pet.

Branwulf

Branwulf

Crestfallen Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Having guards for player owned towns would be nice.

TINKER SAILOR SOLID WIZARD

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

Not that I'm advocating it, but I don't see how that would be any different from having a combat pet.

Well good point... but then imagine pet + NPC + summoned things with Necro skills, a one man controlled army, and more ppl like this would cause real lag.

We will just wait for someone who is playing in CB, and he can tell more.

Miyafuji

Miyafuji

Hidoi !

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip

Having guards for player owned towns would be nice.

I can bet for defensive NPC's for castle sieges. NPC's that fight even randomly during the field.... I would not be so sure about that.

Entaro

Entaro

Professional Strawberry Thief

• Super Moderators
No hire-able NPC's yet and no other mention of them has been made.

CyclopsSlayer

CyclopsSlayer

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Only mention of them I have read was the use of npc vendors outside your house to sell goods.

Heh, only 'hire-able' npc so far would be the Scarecrow to guard your crops and flocks. :P

Tribute

Tribute

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
I want a quest to free slaves from pirates and what not! They they reward you with labor points, wouldn't that be amazing?
The Elves had a prophecy about the expedition to the land of origins, which they termed "Ishtari".

Galadhir

Galadhir

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
That sounds cool.

Veasna

Veasna

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
That does indeed sound very cool, great idea. Can you list that question up for the next 'ask XL Games our questions round' please, if only to plant that idea in their heads? :D

Mithur

Mithur

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

I think you are wrong.

The companions are one of the better improvements of SWTOR.

It also gives you another edge: if you are good managing force labor, money, selling, etc... you could make a nice economic play. For economic players could be fantastic!

They don't get limited to artisan economy, could go scale!

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

I think you are wrong.

The companions are one of the better improvements of SWTOR.

It also gives you another edge: if you are good managing force labor, money, selling, etc... you could make a nice economic play. For economic players could be fantastic!

They don't get limited to artisan economy, could go scale!

Thats ur view, for me it would be stupid, take for example 50 vs 50 siege, now all the 100 players have companions, welcome FPS lag and freezes...
And why would u need an AI to follow u? Thats like boting, his doing the firty work for u.

Cavarath

Cavarath

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
No no no no no. Never. Just No.

Getting an NPC to host your private shop is perfect. But nothing you mention is!
Im one of those economy geeks. And the reason i like economy in MMOs is because i want interactions with PEOPLE!!!
Those companion bullshit of SWTOR is the worst thing that ever happened to a MMO. Well, SWTOR is no MMO. Its just a single player game (because of bullshit like the companions). But anyway.
"Recent results of scientific research have shown that the wish of a person to get a ArcheAge beta key is the bigger the lower the post count." - Veryintelligent Person

Miyafuji

Miyafuji

Hidoi !

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
Yeah yeah, I'm also against NPC doing any player based activity is bad bad. It is ok to have them for selling ok, but never as a companion in battle and also not to do any labor-related stuff.

Dredek

Dredek

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Was the OP talking about hiring NPC's to help you craft things like houses/boats? Is that something that would be needed? Do houses require time as well as resources to build, in which having more hands would speed up that process?

Sarayu

Sarayu

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
I don't mind a static npc helper. Something like a consignment merchant outside of your house, or in a player built public building to sell items when no one is online. I don't agree with any NPC being used to shorten any player action. What's the number one complaint about MMO's right now? There's nothing to do!!!! There's not enough content!!!! So why should we shorten it even more? Patience is a lost virtue.

Do it yourself!

Galadhir

Galadhir

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

I don't mind a static npc helper. Something like a consignment merchant outside of your house, or in a player built public building to sell items when no one is online. I don't agree with any NPC being used to shorten any player action. What's the number one complaint about MMO's right now? There's nothing to do!!!! There's not enough content!!!! So why should we shorten it even more? Patience is a lost virtue.

Do it yourself!

There doesn't seem to be any shortage of things to do in a sandbox game. Just come up with something yourself.

XLGames has already proposed the idea. I frankly don't see what's bad about it and think it could be a means for deepening the game and making it come alive. Imagine entering a player built town only to discover that NOBODY is there. A bit odd. Why not have a hireable npc to help you raise and harvest a crop? Why not have a hireable NPC to sell the goods you make?

Don't frankly see any rational reason why it would damage the game economy either. If such a thing threatened, then all XLGames has to do is limit the number/sort of hireable NPCs.

As for combat companions--eh, ambivalent about that. I do like the RTS element of controlling a squad, but the AI for such things is frequently horrible and it could take a lot of the fun out of the skills that the player's character gets to have.

Sarayu

Sarayu

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

There doesn't seem to be any shortage of things to do in a sandbox game. Just come up with something yourself.

XLGames has already proposed the idea. I frankly don't see what's bad about it and think it could be a means for deepening the game and making it come alive. Imagine entering a player built town only to discover that NOBODY is there. A bit odd. Why not have a hireable npc to help you raise and harvest a crop? Why not have a hireable NPC to sell the goods you make?

Don't frankly see any rational reason why it would damage the game economy either. If such a thing threatened, then all XLGames has to do is limit the number/sort of hireable NPCs.

As for combat companions--eh, ambivalent about that. I do like the RTS element of controlling a squad, but the AI for such things is frequently horrible and it could take a lot of the fun out of the skills that the player's character gets to have.

The only thing I don't understand is if there are features you don't want to partake in and have to hire an npc to do why are we implementing them into our games? If it's not fun why have it? Why not just have an npc playing the role of a crafter in a main city, and view a craft list, and than pay him to make it? It may just be my opinion, because I enjoy doing all of this on top of my PvP. I want to be interacting with npc's as little as possible and with actual players even more. Yes a thriving looking player town would be nice, but let's hire npc's to look busy, and running around playing with the pigs rather than to do our tasks.

I don't think it would effect the economy either. In fact it would produce even more product, because there would be resources being created while we were offline, and that would lower prices.

If it's the casual gamer dilemma why not ask a guild mate, or someone in your family grouping, who have access to your house and crops to take care of it while your offline? It pushes for more player interaction. I shouldn't have said I was entirely close to the idea, because I'm always open to be proven wrong. I think one way it would work, if people really have to have npc companions, would be to only have them active when your logged off, and if you were online they become inactive and just look busy, and you would take care of all of the chores when you're online.

Cavarath

Cavarath

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Noone forces you to do harvesting or whatever. If you dont want to do it buy the stuff at the market.
You are not the one to decide whats fun and what not.

Giving anyone free stuff isnt exactly the idea of material production. Yet he says this wouldnt influence the economy... i had a good laugh.

Dont misunderstand me. I dont have any problems with NPCs that doesnt change the actions players would do otherwise. Yes there should be NPCs players can hire to sell AND buy stuff INSTEAD of a auction house. Yes there is no problem with NPCs that boost the time you need to raise crops. Its nothing than a upgrade you can actually see.

But no, there shouldnt NPCs doing anything that players would do otherwise. No harvesting. No crafting. No help in PvE or PvP (except castle guards maybe). Because its an MMO. An MMO is about player driven stuff and player interactions. Dot.
"Recent results of scientific research have shown that the wish of a person to get a ArcheAge beta key is the bigger the lower the post count." - Veryintelligent Person

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users