In 2003 Jake Song left NCsoft and created XLGAMES.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Lore] Kyprosa Daeior

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Wanderer

Wanderer

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Kyprosa Daeior
Daughter of the Winter Fir; The Nearest to the Mother; Keeper of the Garden

Posted Image

PREFACE

The official Korean ArcheAge website, over time, has been posting stories and biographies concerned with notable historical figures in ArcheAge's universe. Thus far, the character biographies that have appeared have all been about characters who appear in The First Expeditionary Force. The first to appear on the Korean website was Kyprosa Daeior, "Gatekeeper of the Garden." As far as it's understood, she also makes an appearance in the novel "The Fir and the Hawk," which is probably not surprising considering that the following biographical story describes Kyprosa as the "Daughter of the Fir," and pinpoints her origins in a thick fir forest. Once more, I've approached this translation as carefully as possible, but I do not speak any Korean. My methodology for "translating" these stories relies on Google translations, Babylon & Babelfish translators, and Hangul-to-Romanized Korean applications (for locating names / proper nouns / foreign words).

I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this translation, but I hope that it is close enough that it will give everyone a little sneak peak in to ArcheAge's lore, before we are given official translations. My "translations" also do include a little bit of narrative embellishment, as Korean and English literary styles are somewhat different.

Please note that I have already posted this information to ArcheAgeRoleplay.com!
I strongly encourage people who are interested in lore and/or roleplay to visit the site, sign up, and watch for updates there. I will continue to "translate" the stories of the important historical characters as they appear on the Korean website. It's not certain how long it will take me to cross-post to ArcheAge Source. They will appear on AARP first!

ORIGINAL KOREAN TEXT

Link to the Official Korean site, and the biographical story of Kyprosa Daeior Posted Image

ROUGH ENGLISH TRANSLATION

Ki-peu-ro-ja De-i-eo1 Kyprosa Daeior

The tall castle tower overlooked a vast expanse of pine forest. It was a radiant sight among the frigid, untamed wilds. The lord of this castle was also known as "King of the Fir". He had innumerable riches, ample land, numerous subjects, and great influence, but among his court, there was no one fit to be his heir. In fact, by now they were sworn in to allegiance of the Northern territories as a simple provincial kingdom. Although, at the same time, the lord of the castle was counted among the kingdom's elite.

The King of the Fir and his wife, Rosia2 of Devotion, had three sons, but each of them had come to vanish or fall from favor. As time drew on, Rosia became old, and all that remained of her bloodline was one granddaughter. The granddaughter was named in the tradition of the King of the Fir and was also strong in Devotion.

She was named after the crest of the tree; Kyprosa Daeior.
The crest was a symbol of the grave, death, and eternal torment.

There were strange rumors circulating among the people of the fir. That Kyprosa's life was even worse than the meaning of her name. Her father had lost himself to madness, and her mother brought her to her husband's parents' doorstep and left. Her grandmother hated her, and forced her in to servitude for her family, to be raised in the kitchens.

That was when she met Orchidna3, her uncle's bastard infant daughter who had been discarded in anger by Rosia. In the middle of the night, she snuck out of the halls. She found the baby abandoned in the woods, but soon realized that she herself was lost. She kept walking, but couldn't find so much as a hunter's cabin. She tried to follow the stars to any shelter possible, but found herself at the edge of a cliff, stopping in her tracks. She had gone the wrong way. Kyprosa stubbornly clung to the infant to try to keep it warm, even if she in turn would freeze to death.

Kyprosa decided to press forward and carefully crawl down the cliff. In the distance, she saw the form of a man, disappearing in to an old looking shack. She approached and saw that the interior of the shack was rotting and broken, and empty, but it was still a shelter from the harsh, cold winds outside, so Kyprosa entered. The entrance was narrow, but there was some space on the left, around a fallen table, to sit and shield them from the winds.

Kyprosa imagined the sight of lights.
She lost consciousness then
and dreamt of dying; or was it a dream?

She wasn't sure how, but she found herself in a round hall. Lanterns were hung along the walls of the cave. Kyprosa stood and ventured along the hall until she found another passageway. Down the hall, she discovered a room, which startled her. It was her bedroom. Venturing inside, she found that the bedroom was lavish, in stark contrast to the walls just outside of it. The fire in the fireplace warmed the room, and the goose-feather bed looked incredibly cozy. On the covers, there was a blue velvet dress awaiting its owner.

Kyprosa timidly touched the dress on the bed, when there was a knock at the door. She stiffened, horrified that she would be seen and thought to be a thief. It wasn't certain which came first. He entered and stood by Kyprosa's side.

"What are you doing all the way over here, Rosa. If you get lost in the cold for so long, you'll be in big trouble."

Who was this man? Why was he speaking in such a friendly and comfortable manner to her?

Kyprosa examined his face closely. Then she recognized him from a portrait on the wall. Her great grandfather painted many portraits that looked just like it, before he died. Speechless, Kyprosa simply stared at him, but he blinked back to her. This man looked like her great grandfather's portrait of her father, Leibon4.

When Kyprosa's father had left the castle, where had he gone? She couldn't be sure, but she felt at ease, and so she relaxed. He chuckled, patting her on the shoulder affectionately, then looked down at the dress on the bed.

"Not too shabby for a grown man to sew in little time. Would you like to try it on?"

Kyprosa quickly shook her head. Such splendid clothing didn't suit her at all, and she was afraid she was too awkward and clumsy that it would tear apart; above all else, this was still probably a dream. Even if it was all just a dream, she didn't want to do it. 5 Eventually, he took his daughter's hand and led her downstairs. Her hand felt like it was in an oven, all the way down the stairs. His hand was strangely warm, and she tearfully clung to his hand throughout the descent.

She was surprised to descend again. She didn't expect there to be two flights of stairs. She was led to sit in a chair, and her hair was tied back. Three families sat there, and each of her long dead uncles were present, even though Kyprosa was born after the death of some of them. Rosia, Kyprosa's grandmother, took a seat next to her and smiled at her.

"My granddaughter is here."

It was like the other side of the same coin--the fir forest she knew, but where everything happened differently. Her father and uncle spoke, planning a hunting trip for tomorrow, and then her uncle made a joke at her grandfather's expense, winking to her to back him up. Kyprosa didn't know her grandfather, but she soon chuckled.
Kyprosa laughed often that day. It was in that moment that she realized where she was. The was the place. The Shadow Castle6. She had no doubt that this was the place her mad father had written about.

It was a castle, deep in the forest, that contradicted historical reality. In this world, her grandfather was there, and her father hadn't left, and he uncles hadn't died. And Kyprosa was loved by everyone here. She wished it wasn't too good to be true. This was so good for her, that if it kept on, she would forget her real life, awful though it may have been. Then, the door swung open, and the food was brought in.

She knew the people who came through the door. Her aunt Elma7. But there was a baby in her arms. Her uncle Theodoric8 stood and went to take the baby, and Elma handed him over. "Everyone was upset you weren't here. Papa wanted to see you."

This baby had been born because her uncle hadn't left. She watched the baby, but felt that something had been lost. But what.
Of course, she thought. Kyprosa smiled to her father. "Papa, is that Orchidna?"

Leibon tilted his head at her. With his head still tilted slightly, he said.

"Orchidna? Who is that?"

She slowly came to realization. She slapped her hands down on to the table.
Kyprosa lost her appetite and stood.

She slowly pushed her chair away from the table. She didn't quite know what she was doing, but her feet took her quickly to the front entrance of the building.

Kyprosa had read about the Shadow Castle in her father's journal, and how he had to find it. He studied this magical place feverishly, even when other people doubted him. Maybe he had somehow called Kyprosa to him here. Then where had her father gone to in the real world?

Did her father come to see this place, just as she had? Was it so happy that it brought about his madness? Why did he not stay here? Was this why he left Kyprosa alone?

Where then had he really gone?

She understood her father wanted to find the Shadow Castle. It's Kyprosa may have seemed real to him. Perhaps his father was too busy ruling the Forest, and he and his mother Rosia had come to mutually resent each other? If Kyprosa were to really walk among him, Leibon couldn't tell the difference between the fake and real Kyprosa.

The Shadow Castle was not real.
Everything that happened here, never really happened after all.

In the Shadow Castle, Orchidna was never born. His father had never met his mother. However, if Kyprosa was really here, then she had abandoned Orchidna alone in the woods to die. She risked her life last night to find her. She had to find Orchidna. It was a simple decision to make.

It wasn't hard to leave the Shadow Castle. The fir trees were in the exact same places from the castle as they were in the real world. Kyprosa had awoken in the cave to find a blue velvet dress on the bed before. Would she still be wearing those clothes? Would she be where she lost consciousness, in the clothes that the alternate version of herself enjoyed?

New snow had painted the forest white. Kyprosa tried to follow the direction she wandered yesterday, where she had gotten lost, and she heard a baby cry. From a distance, she also heard a wolf howl. This startled her. She continued at a brisk pace, hoping to find the baby in a basket. She ran. Her cape snagged on fir branches, causing snow to crumble from the top of the trees. She hadn't frozen to death. She prayed she was alive.

TRANSLATION NOTES

I left the Korean pronunciation here because the original Korean version of this story has both her Hangul name and her English name. If anything, this can help with the pronunciation of her name. It should be Key-Pro-Zah Day-Ore.

2 "Rosia" is the localized name I decided upon for the name "Ro-ji-a."

3 "Orchidna" as mentioned in The First Expeditionary Force, is the localized name I chose for "O-ki-deu-na." It was hard to determine her relation to Kyprosa. It seems she might be her cousin. She was introduced in a messy translation involving fathers, brothers, and uncles.

4 "Leibon" was my choice for localization of the name Re-i-beun. It's more than likely completely off base, but it's the best guess I could muster.

5 Later in the story, the blue dress is brought up again. I can't quite tell if she's wearing it or just talking about it as though it was worn by Shadow Castle Kyprosa, but I assumed she was wearing it. That means that at this point, she may or may not have actually put the dress on, before her father led her downstairs.

6 The Shadow Castle or Castle of Shade is basically a shadow realm. The localization might name this something cooler, but Shadow Castle seemed to do for now.

7 "Elma" is a localization guess. The Korean is El-ma. Google research on the name came up with results for an "Elma Inn" and "Hotel Elma."

8 "Theodoric" is a localization guess. The Korean is Si-eo-deu-rig. Google research came up with Theodoric. I kind of wanted to guess Cedric, before that.

The ArcheAge RP Community:

Posted Image

Thorbrand

Thorbrand

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Good read and thank you!

Tribute

Tribute

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Always nice to have lore, what else do we know about this Korean writer?
The Elves had a prophecy about the expedition to the land of origins, which they termed "Ishtari".

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators
Will you translate the book after this?

Just kidding. :P

CyclopsSlayer

CyclopsSlayer

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Bah, all kidding aside, just translate the book! :D

Wanderer

Wanderer

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
If I could get my hands on that book, I'd do it in a heartbeat. :)

Posted Image

Wanderer

Wanderer

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Updated to reflect that Orchidna is female. :X

Posted Image

Fido

Fido

Döner Dönater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
Awesome posts in this section, Wanderer.
It´s good to see, that this game has also a big lore behind it´s big gameplay.

The Koreans i interviewed in the CBT4 told me, that the story behind this game is so awesome.
So good to take a closer look by reading your tranlations.

Keep up the good work :-)

Let´s Play Archeage - The German Archeage Video Magazine

The German Archeage Knowledge Base v2.0

The German Archeage Crop Report v2.0

"After resigning NCsoft I just chilled at home and my wife did not like it.
One day she said 'go out and play.' So I founded XLGAMES in order to
escape from the grouchiness of my wife and to separate my gamer life
from my wife. And I played World of Warcraft all day at the office"
- Jake Song

Sunshine

Sunshine

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
Beautiful story. I want to know what happens next!

Wanderer

Wanderer

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Me tooooo. ; ; Too bad it's a pain in the butt to translate.

Particularly, I want to know why Orchidna gets... the way she is in trailers. >.> Or just what happened after the trip down that chasm. I bet it's in the books.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users