There are no predefined paths. Your choices. Your actions. Your world.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Archeage: F2P, B2P, or P2P?

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

Poll: Archeage: F2P, B2P, or P2P (116 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you like Archeage to be?

1. Free to play (8 votes [6.96%])

Percentage of vote: 6.96%

2. Buy to play (38 votes [33.04%])

Percentage of vote: 33.04%

3. Pay to play (69 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
this will seriously be a big problem for me if this go p2p oh well the best i can hope for is that it will be cheap and my money won't be sent to bots or foreign countries. i'm new btw damn all the good mmmos are going p2p

Caduryn

Caduryn

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Thats the point: "good mmos".
I dont know any good f2p mmo, and normally you pay more to be good in a f2p as in a p2p.
Good mmos need years of time and many money to make, f2p mmos are made fast and cheap.

Drul

Drul

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
I really hope it will go P2P.

@avatar12 - really p2p is better choice ,you won't have to deal with someone buying advantages over you and deal with Cash Shop influenting game design alot.

Other thing is that in F2P games there are also bots and gold sellers , so :/

Most important thing is that GM and game developer try to fight gold sellers and bots , whatever game business model is.

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
yeah i know the thing is i just don't think that is fair that we have to pay to play though and about f2p i have played some good ones and i haven't delt with any bots i've been playing dream of mirror since middle school so i haven't delt with bots or anything like that my first p2p was ffxi it was a nasty shock for me espacilly with this ecomeny that we are in.

Zil

Zil

Just Do It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
I prefer playing with other people who pay by month, it clears out a shitload of wannabee's who are too cheap and want to play for free.

I don't want to generalize, but there's a lot of them that are either kids between 9 and 15 or people from latin america, russia etc. That's just my personal experience on the subject. I don't have a problem with foreigners, but when they start speaking in their own language and forming guilds excluding themselves from the whole population just makes the community feel cut into pieces, some mmo's also have guidelines that require people to speak in english... something they rarely respect.

Posted Image

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

I prefer playing with other people who pay by month, it clears out a shitload of wannabee's who are too cheap and want to play for free.

I don't want to generalize, but there's a lot of them that are either kids between 9 and 15 or people from latin america, russia etc. That's just my personal experience on the subject. I don't have a problem with foreigners, but when they start speaking in their own language and forming guilds excluding themselves from the whole population just makes the community feel cut into pieces, some mmo's also have guidelines that require people to speak in english... something they rarely respect.

yeah about that you see the people i have played with aren't just kids or teens some i have played with are adults so some adults play f2p mmos too and i haven't

with any kids from latin america or russia or whatever but all in all i actually perfer both f2p and p2p i mean it doesn't hurt to play both right? and i also had not the experience of wannabies so i must be lucky huh?

Ellumia

Ellumia

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
That's pretty rude Zil :/ They probably feel cut off from the community because they don't sspeak English well. There's nothing wrong with them forming their own guilds where they can speak their language freely and not have to worry about language barriers.
I agree that p2p tends to have a more mature player base which makes for better gaming experience.

Drul

Drul

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Well if some persons cannot speak english , it is just natural that they play in national-tongue guilds. Nothing wrong with that as far as they are behaving ok.

Anyway some of them might eventually learn english enough (also because of playing on english speaking server!) that some might went outiside to general playerbase.

For me for ArcheAge , P2P sounds better not becasue of playerbase , well at least not mainly becasue of it.

ArcheAge just with all features it will bring like crafting system with Labor Points , open housing with many houses, open world with exploration , support for guilds and teritorial control , jail system ,sailing and many more- I believe this experience would not be very pleasureable if many f.e. houses was able to purcharse in item shop , that you could buy labor points or out of jail in cash shop, that best ships would be in item store, etc

I think AA is a game that can provide such fun , complex gameplay and illusion of "living world" that balance of all of this would be destroyed by item shop :(

So really really I want P2P experience - it is much more even for players and don't interfere with immersion.

Item Shop are not bad for games like for example League of Legends but I believe ArcheAge is kind of game that Item Shop would not fit nicely from player perspective at least.

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
that's true it wouldn't be fair to the players though damn it all the good games are going p2p i'm really crossing my fingers here since bns and tsw are going p2p i was a least hoping this one would go f2p

Najik

Najik

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
Only good aspect of f2p and shopping is a greater % of money goes to the developer instead of the gold farmers. The unbalance it creates however makes f2p an ugly experience imo.

P2P means people are somewhat more interested in joining up to achieve something from a game rather than a mindless gotta buy me onto the scoreboard approach. Only real problem is gold sellers and player auctions will have more of an impact by creating the unbalance that a shop would create and the developer misses out on the $ exchanged.

With P2P, I would very much like to see ability to purchase game time from the developer and sell for ingame gold to players; I think that method of compromise is a good one, and undermines the rl$ farmers, which makes me very happy.

Eligor

Eligor

Has no idea who Miura is...

• Super Moderators
EVE kinda got the idea right, in my opinion. They created PLEX to counter gold sellers, and true enough you won't find any. But that's also because of how "cruel" (that's the word the community uses) the game is, you can be shot and killed anywhere. What changes depending on the security of the area is just what the pirates use. A zerg of smal fast and cheap ships in high security zones to anything you can imagine in lower security zones.

The P2P vs F2P arguement is a bit old though. Most people making money and owning creditcards will usually say they prefer P2P cause it limits their exposure to immature kids and other annoyances. You still have kids and what not in P2P but not as many and the game isn't in danger of closing down after 1-2 years.

Now, to counter myself. P2P games tend to die, but they don't close down, although at the same time you see F2P games lasting more years as active than some P2P titles.
Let's all pretend there's something really important written here...

Bangkok

Bangkok

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
You ever heard the term, "You get what you pay for?" I have tried for the longest time to find a good or even playable F2P MMO. I have not found one yet. If you want to play a good quality game, you have to pay for it.

Also, like many have mentioned, P2P is also a good bullshit filter. It clears out alot of the annoying 15 years old and below crew. P2P gives you some customer service, some quality gaming experience and some GM's.

Name me 3 F2P games that are good and I will guess you have never P2P.

Asphy

Asphy

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Name me 3 F2P games that are good and I will guess you have never P2P.

APB
LoL
GW

: /

I guess SWG would count now too. And I've P2P before.
"The Party and the Krikkit warship looked, in their writhings, a little like two ducks, one of which is trying to make a third duck inside the second duck, while the second duck is trying very hard to explain that it doesn't feel ready for a third duck right now, is uncertain that it would want any putative third duck to be made by this particular first duck anyways, and certainly not while it, the second duck, was busy flying." - Douglas Adams

Caduryn

Caduryn

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

APB
LoL
GW

: /

I guess SWG would count now too. And I've P2P before.

APB is f2p because it failed hard and closed down after 1. release..... you think thats a "good" mmo?
LoL : idk, have to look.
GW .... thats not even an mmo.....

And SWG is f2p because it close down at Years end, *woot*

All your "good" mmos are just trash.

Asphy

Asphy

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

APB is f2p because it failed hard and closed down after 1. release..... you think thats a "good" mmo?
LoL : idk, have to look.
GW .... thats not even an mmo.....

And SWG is f2p because it close down at Years end, *woot*

All your "good" mmos are just trash.

APB Reloaded, my bad. The new one has solid gameplay and fixed most of the old bugs. Now it's an overall okay game. Not amazing, but good.

GW.... It is an MMO.

And as for SWG, he said good game that's F2P.

In the end, a "good" mmo is based on personal opinions. If everyone is so worried about ArchAge going F2P, buy the stat raising gear with the money you would gladly spend on game time. Whatever Jake-Song and company decide to do, it's not the end of the world. I personally would rather play with 10,000 14 year olds than with people who can't handle a F2P or P2P payment model just cause they can't deal. If you thinks it's fun, play it. If you don't like it, gtfo.
"The Party and the Krikkit warship looked, in their writhings, a little like two ducks, one of which is trying to make a third duck inside the second duck, while the second duck is trying very hard to explain that it doesn't feel ready for a third duck right now, is uncertain that it would want any putative third duck to be made by this particular first duck anyways, and certainly not while it, the second duck, was busy flying." - Douglas Adams

Drul

Drul

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

APB Reloaded, my bad. The new one has solid gameplay and fixed most of the old bugs. Now it's an overall okay game. Not amazing, but good.

GW.... It is an MMO.

And as for SWG, he said good game that's F2P.

In the end, a "good" mmo is based on personal opinions. If everyone is so worried about ArchAge going F2P, buy the stat raising gear with the money you would gladly spend on game time. Whatever Jake-Song and company decide to do, it's not the end of the world. I personally would rather play with 10,000 14 year olds than with people who can't handle a F2P or P2P payment model just cause they can't deal. If you thinks it's fun, play it. If you don't like it, gtfo.

APB Reloaded , well it is not what I would call good game. Well but that matter of opinion.
Clearly though we can say that it is not AAA title, contrary to ArcheAge.

GW 1 is NOT an mmorpg. Even Arena.net call GW1 corpg. GW 2 will be an mmorpg , but I will judge it after it will release.

SWG is not f2p. SWG is closing down it's servers soon for good.

There is an emulator SWG server in the works , but it is unofficial like many other emulator pirated unofficial servers.

League of Legends is MOBA type of game not mmorpg , really comparing it to mmorpg is like comparing apples to carrots.

Let's stick to mmorpg maybe?

Still f2p works well for moba games , but I loathe f2p in mmorpg's. Mobas are just e-sport , quick pvp fix , nothing to be immersed , not much building community well at least not more than in for example Call of Duty , not in mmorpg way.

Item Shops imho ruin mmorpg's ESPECIALLY complex ones like ArcheAge.

Display removed

Display removed

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Guild wars is CORPG (creators definition) Guild wars 2 will be an MMO, League of legends is MOBA. SWG was P2P, turned f2p and getting closed. APB was P2P and ended up shotdown and a different company bought them.

The story now seems to be that failed P2P MMO's ends up with a F2P business plan instead which would suggest that many games would be better served using cash shops instead of monthly subscriptions, simply because they lack the polish needed to retain players on monthly subscription.

Zil

Zil

Just Do It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
With common sense we should think that a P2P MMORPG would deliver a better gaming experience than a F2P one. We can at least agree that P2P game's offer regular patches while F2P ones normally deliver one or two per year(That is decent ones).

Posted Image

Asphy

Asphy

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

GW 1 is NOT an mmorpg. Even Arena.net call GW1 corpg. GW 2 will be an mmorpg , but I will judge it after it will release.

Let's stick to mmorpg maybe?

Still f2p works well for moba games , but I loathe f2p in mmorpg's. Mobas are just e-sport , quick pvp fix , nothing to be immersed , not much building community well at least not more than in for example Call of Duty , not in mmorpg way.

Item Shops imho ruin mmorpg's ESPECIALLY complex ones like ArcheAge.

Where do you people learn to read...? He asked for "3 F2P games that are good", not "MMORPG". Let's stick to reading slower maybe?

Maybe he doesn't like the games I suggested, but they aren't dead, and they have people who like the game. I don't like WoW, but that doesn't automatically make it a bad game. SWG might be dying, but it's a F2P game that a lot of people like. If it's dying or not is of no consequence to the argument. He asked a question, I answered. I was just sticking to his criteria.

GW is a F2P game, LoL is a F2P game, and APB is a F2P game. Three games a large number of people like and play. I answered his question, and he guessed wrong. Get over yourselves.

Anyways, back on topic. @Zil, is that from lack of funds, or lack of people working on the project? And some F2P games pump out a patch a month. It's nothing compared to the P2P games, but still it's something. I also think, should AA go F2P, that a Wal-Mart plan would work. That is to say, low prices, high volume. No armor or weapons, but anything else would be free game.

@Grimfain, I havn't seen an MMO released that was polished enough for anyone. Even WoW was a bugfest. It's not a lack of polish, it's a lack of backbone in the players and publishers being a little more greedy than in the old days.

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
okay i've been reading all of your posts and thanks for the responses but like i said i'll just keep my fingers crossed btw aren't you worried where your money is going though i mean ever heard of rmt (real money trading) that's the one thing that bothers me about p2p games now don't get me wrong i still want to play this game also don't you guys have jobs? i can't imagine some of you p2p gamers out there have enough money to pay to play afterall and was your f2p experience that trumatic?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users