ArcheAge isn't about following a defined path, it's about creating a world by choosing the things that matter to you.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Archeage: F2P, B2P, or P2P?

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

Poll: Archeage: F2P, B2P, or P2P (116 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you like Archeage to be?

1. Free to play (8 votes [6.96%])

Percentage of vote: 6.96%

2. Buy to play (38 votes [33.04%])

Percentage of vote: 33.04%

3. Pay to play (69 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

It's how the real world works. If you want to have fun, you'll always have to pay someone. But, $15 isn't too bad. Sell some stuff here and there. Hell, you could bum that much money in a week.

yeah i know i really am naive about this stuff as much as i hate to admit it :)

Ultima

Ultima

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Children seem to think 15 bucks is alot of money for one month, I wonder if they realize 15 bucks will not buy you much besides a MMO's monthly sub these days with the economy...
There is a method to Ultima's madness!

........SOMEWHERE!

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Children seem to think 15 bucks is alot of money for one month, I wonder if they realize 15 bucks will not buy you much besides a MMO's monthly sub these days with the economy...

they will understand as they get older besides you can always use 15 bucks for something else

Zil

Zil

Just Do It

• Members
  • PipPipPip

I think it's the opposite. Children think 15$ is worth one buck. As I grow older I feel like 15$ a month all year long could pay me off a new surf board or half the price of a plane ticket. All that money for entertainment.

Posted Image

Ultima

Ultima

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

I think it's the opposite. Children think 15$ is worth one buck. As I grow older I feel like 15$ a month all year long could pay me off a new surf board or half the price of a plane ticket. All that money for entertainment.

Meh, some people think 15 bucks is alot of money, when it's pocket change nowadays.

........SOMEWHERE!

Asphy

Asphy

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

it's pocket change nowadays.

Completely and totally debatable. There are a lot of people living in poverty who could never come up with $15 to pay for entertainment. More so with the economy in the state it is, with priorities being switched around for most middle class white people.
"The Party and the Krikkit warship looked, in their writhings, a little like two ducks, one of which is trying to make a third duck inside the second duck, while the second duck is trying very hard to explain that it doesn't feel ready for a third duck right now, is uncertain that it would want any putative third duck to be made by this particular first duck anyways, and certainly not while it, the second duck, was busy flying." - Douglas Adams

Entaro

Entaro

Professional Strawberry Thief

• Super Moderators
$15 is just few bucks more than the cost of a 6-pack of beer in Canada. Heck, rather than grabbing some junk food when you're bored, save the money and you'll have enough in no time for a game subscription.

Ultima

Ultima

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
If someone is going to die because they don't save 15 bucks a month, then they are probably going to be dead in a few days..

........SOMEWHERE!

Efaicia

Efaicia

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
The only person who has argued FOR a F2P option also said something about a younger sibling which also points to the fact that they more than likely are living out of mom and dads wallet, who would probably refuse to pay a monthly sub fee. I think that pretty much speaks for itself.
Efaicia
Soon to be;
The Eternally in Love,
Hopelessly Romantic,
and Strong Willed
Ferre!

Asphy

Asphy

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

The only person who has argued FOR a F2P option also said something about a younger sibling which also points to the fact that they more than likely are living out of mom and dads wallet

Really? You're stooping this low already? Since you're interested in my family life, let me explain something. My mother died before I started playing video games. I never met my dad till I was 15, and I've been playing MMO's for longer than that. I've been paying for my own MMO's since I started playing Ultima Online. Don't talk about things you know nothing about. Ultima and I have a silent understanding. We each have a point of view, but I never said anything personal about him. And he hasn't said anything personal either. This is how rational people debate.

On topic, I'm not arguing FOR F2P. I'm arguing that maybe F2P isn't as horrible as you all say it is. If AA goes F2P or P2P doesn't concern me in the least. I'll either buy all the gear and toys I want, or I'll pay the monthly like everyone else. F2P is a viable payment model, as the koreans have proved. I'm not saying it should go F2P, or P2P, I'm just sayin. Stop bitching about things that aren't even decided yet. It's most probably going to go P2P anyways, so all this debating is for not.
"The Party and the Krikkit warship looked, in their writhings, a little like two ducks, one of which is trying to make a third duck inside the second duck, while the second duck is trying very hard to explain that it doesn't feel ready for a third duck right now, is uncertain that it would want any putative third duck to be made by this particular first duck anyways, and certainly not while it, the second duck, was busy flying." - Douglas Adams

Eligor

Eligor

Has no idea who Miura is...

• Super Moderators
Keep it civil guys, gall... No personal insults or hits below belt!

Would have to have to barge in like a wild troll if this ends up getting too heated.
Let's all pretend there's something really important written here...

Entaro

Entaro

Professional Strawberry Thief

• Super Moderators

Keep it civil guys, gall... No personal insults or hits below belt!

Would have to have to barge in like a wild troll if this ends up getting too heated.

*comes bursting out a dark alley with a lead pipe and hits Eligor below the belt while yelling something about a lack of ArcheAge news and then runs back into the alley*

Hazujin

Hazujin

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Eligor has it rough... Gotta have steel balls if you wanna live in this community @_@

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
:angry: okay would you all just calm the hell down and act civil plz? no trolling all right this isn't what i created this theard for!

Efaicia

Efaicia

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
No, I meant no offense, just stating something that kinda popped out at me. People tend to take me the wrong way especialy on forums. I am hard to take IRL as well, blunt and to the point, and speaking my mind. Sorry I offended! There are several other threads stating peoples opinion on this matter. Me personaly, I will try it if it goes F2P, the first time I come across a situation that requires a micro transaction to be competative, I will leave, and thats all there is to it.
Efaicia
Soon to be;
The Eternally in Love,
Hopelessly Romantic,
and Strong Willed
Ferre!

Hazujin

Hazujin

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Chill man... We're just joking... You must know that this is one of those thread that doesn't really go anywhere. None of us knows what XLGames will chose as payment method, we don't even know if there'll be one. Posters just share their thoughts concerning the matter. And I personally have no opinion at all for a simple reason. It's unneeded. So I just threw a random post, which isn't really a troll now that I look at it, it's just random...

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Chill man... We're just joking... You must know that this is one of those thread that doesn't really go anywhere. None of us knows what XLGames will chose as payment method, we don't even know if there'll be one. Posters just share their thoughts concerning the matter. And I personally have no opinion at all for a simple reason. It's unneeded. So I just threw a random post, which isn't really a troll now that I look at it, it's just random...

sorry it's just that i really didn't want any theard wars over this

No, I meant no offense, just stating something that kinda popped out at me. People tend to take me the wrong way especialy on forums. I am hard to take IRL as well, blunt and to the point, and speaking my mind. Sorry I offended! There are several other threads stating peoples opinion on this matter. Me personaly, I will try it if it goes F2P, the first time I come across a situation that requires a micro transaction to be competative, I will leave, and thats all there is to it.

it's okay

Sarathor

Sarathor

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Is it really hard to find a job where you guys live? Currently, I'm PRN at one nursing home, and full time in another, but then again, ever since Obama came into office, the unemployment rate has gone up, so I guess it might be hard finding a job in some areas.

This is my main opinion...

Free to Play games tend to build their game to push players into the cash shop. Sometimes they have limited time items that can be quite expensive, or sales, which don't really save you much, but to the average person, the deal may be too good to pass up when you want that new shiny pixel. I'm not saying F2P games are all like this, but the majority of them do push players towards the cash shops because that's how they make their money. It's not wrong that they do this, but it also makes the game unbalanced and favorable to wealthier players, who have the money to spend.

You also don't know the amount of money you're really going to spend each month. You can tell yourself, "OK, I'll just buy 10 dollars with of points a month, and save up till I have enough to get something I want." However, and this is what the business model is made to do, it once again comes down to pushing players into the cash shops. If you find you're getting ganked by players with crazy gear, you're going to want to pay the extra money to get some better gear to compete with that person, or defend yourself. Or, another example, they've just release a limited time item, perhaps a mount, that looks really cool to you, and you want it, but you don't have enough points to get it because you've spent them on something else, prior to your knowledge about the mount. If you really wanted that mount, you're very likely to spend the extra money to get that mount.

Another example, and on that I dislike a lot, are the lottery games which require points to participate. What cash shop game developers will do, is set a lottery and if someone wins something above the amount they payed for, they'll announce it to all the players playing. Those players will see this, and think they have a chance to win big, which they might, or they might not. However, once again, it's pushing players into buying currency to participate in something that they're not guaranteed to win.

Overall, F2P games can work, and this has been proven by history, however, for someone who is economically smart, pay to play games are the way to go, for a few reasons.

Pay to Play (P2P)

Pay to Play games do have their faults, but I find them much more enjoyable than F2P games for various reasons. One being competitiveness between players. Most of the players, who don't hack/cheat/RWT, work for their gear, and become competitive because of the work they put in the game, not outside the game. For me, this is a bigger accomplishment, because skill becomes more noticeable. For instance, I can buy the best gear and spend thousands of dollars in a F2P game, and just go around one shotting everyone who's under geared compared to me, or I can kill someone because I worked harder in the game itself and have proven that I can get that gear with my in game skills, rather than my real world skills.

I believe it's a smart choice economically too. Sure, you can play a F2P game for free, but you're not going to be the full enjoyment out of the game than someone who spends $100 a month keeping their characters up to date. I'm not saying that someone couldn't get enjoyment out of a F2P game without spending money, but the average play doesn't want to feel gimped, which, as I've stated before, is what they F2P companies want. They want their paying customers to have a huge advantage over their "free customers," so to speak, because they know that the "free customer" will be more likely to pay them money so they can feel better about their character. That's the business design of those games, and I'm not blaming them, I just don't like that. IRL, I've grown up poor, and I don't like "the rich get richer" mind set of anything, including games; especially games.

Anyway, when you pay to play a game, you're going to spend a fixed amount of money each month to do so. Why is this economically smart? Because you can make a financial budget that won't be messed with. Let's say, for example, that you spend $100 for car insurance, $100 for groceries, $100 for gas, $400 for rent, and $200 for utilities. That means, you'll be spending $900 a month on bills. Now, let's say you make about $1,000 a month, giving you $100 for luxuries like entertainment. You can spend that $100 dollars any way you like. If you decide you want to take up a P2P game, then instead of saying you have $100 for luxuries in your financial plan, you can say you have $85 for your luxuries, and tack the $15 on your utilities (or separate, it doesn't really matter). This is a good thing, because you can plan your budget around the game, knowing that every month you'll be spending a fixed amount.

Now, if you decided to play a F2P game, you'll have an extra $15 for your luxuries, meaning $100 total, but, as I've stated many times, you're probably going to spend the majority of your luxuries budget on the game, not necessarily each month, but in the long run, you're more likely to average out to more than $15 a month, depending on how much time you spent playing that game.

In conclusion, if you find that you don't have the extra $15 to tack onto your budge (meaning living pay check to pay check), then I would suggest playing a free to play game. However, if you do have the luxury of having the extra money, I would suggest playing a P2P game, as it's more likely to give you more "bang for your buck" in the long run.

Ultima

Ultima

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Is it really hard to find a job where you guys live? Currently, I'm PRN at one nursing home, and full time in another, but then again, ever since Obama came into office, the unemployment rate has gone up, so I guess it might be hard finding a job in some areas.

This is my main opinion...

Free to Play games tend to build their game to push players into the cash shop. Sometimes they have limited time items that can be quite expensive, or sales, which don't really save you much, but to the average person, the deal may be too good to pass up when you want that new shiny pixel. I'm not saying F2P games are all like this, but the majority of them do push players towards the cash shops because that's how they make their money. It's not wrong that they do this, but it also makes the game unbalanced and favorable to wealthier players, who have the money to spend.

You also don't know the amount of money you're really going to spend each month. You can tell yourself, "OK, I'll just buy 10 dollars with of points a month, and save up till I have enough to get something I want." However, and this is what the business model is made to do, it once again comes down to pushing players into the cash shops. If you find you're getting ganked by players with crazy gear, you're going to want to pay the extra money to get some better gear to compete with that person, or defend yourself. Or, another example, they've just release a limited time item, perhaps a mount, that looks really cool to you, and you want it, but you don't have enough points to get it because you've spent them on something else, prior to your knowledge about the mount. If you really wanted that mount, you're very likely to spend the extra money to get that mount.

Another example, and on that I dislike a lot, are the lottery games which require points to participate. What cash shop game developers will do, is set a lottery and if someone wins something above the amount they payed for, they'll announce it to all the players playing. Those players will see this, and think they have a chance to win big, which they might, or they might not. However, once again, it's pushing players into buying currency to participate in something that they're not guaranteed to win.

Overall, F2P games can work, and this has been proven by history, however, for someone who is economically smart, pay to play games are the way to go, for a few reasons.

Pay to Play (P2P)

Pay to Play games do have their faults, but I find them much more enjoyable than F2P games for various reasons. One being competitiveness between players. Most of the players, who don't hack/cheat/RWT, work for their gear, and become competitive because of the work they put in the game, not outside the game. For me, this is a bigger accomplishment, because skill becomes more noticeable. For instance, I can buy the best gear and spend thousands of dollars in a F2P game, and just go around one shotting everyone who's under geared compared to me, or I can kill someone because I worked harder in the game itself and have proven that I can get that gear with my in game skills, rather than my real world skills.

I believe it's a smart choice economically too. Sure, you can play a F2P game for free, but you're not going to be the full enjoyment out of the game than someone who spends $100 a month keeping their characters up to date. I'm not saying that someone couldn't get enjoyment out of a F2P game without spending money, but the average play doesn't want to feel gimped, which, as I've stated before, is what they F2P companies want. They want their paying customers to have a huge advantage over their "free customers," so to speak, because they know that the "free customer" will be more likely to pay them money so they can feel better about their character. That's the business design of those games, and I'm not blaming them, I just don't like that. IRL, I've grown up poor, and I don't like "the rich get richer" mind set of anything, including games; especially games.

Anyway, when you pay to play a game, you're going to spend a fixed amount of money each month to do so. Why is this economically smart? Because you can make a financial budget that won't be messed with. Let's say, for example, that you spend $100 for car insurance, $100 for groceries, $100 for gas, $400 for rent, and $200 for utilities. That means, you'll be spending $900 a month on bills. Now, let's say you make about $1,000 a month, giving you $100 for luxuries like entertainment. You can spend that $100 dollars any way you like. If you decide you want to take up a P2P game, then instead of saying you have $100 for luxuries in your financial plan, you can say you have $85 for your luxuries, and tack the $15 on your utilities (or separate, it doesn't really matter). This is a good thing, because you can plan your budget around the game, knowing that every month you'll be spending a fixed amount.

Now, if you decided to play a F2P game, you'll have an extra $15 for your luxuries, meaning $100 total, but, as I've stated many times, you're probably going to spend the majority of your luxuries budget on the game, not necessarily each month, but in the long run, you're more likely to average out to more than $15 a month, depending on how much time you spent playing that game.

In conclusion, if you find that you don't have the extra $15 to tack onto your budge (meaning living pay check to pay check), then I would suggest playing a free to play game. However, if you do have the luxury of having the extra money, I would suggest playing a P2P game, as it's more likely to give you more "bang for your buck" in the long run.

This, but you can sum it up like this. You know how much you're paying monthly for a P2P, you don't get blind-sided by a insane fee, 15 bucks isn't breaking the bank. F2P will blind-side you with a odd number, and you have to buy it in -POINTS- and let's say these -POINTS- have limited time before they disappear, and let's say you didn't use em, sorry your money is gone so are your points.

........SOMEWHERE!

Efaicia

Efaicia

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
The two above posters summed up why I refuse to play a F2P game. There is no other reason. Not because I'm afraid that bots, or gold sellers or hackers or asinine children are worse in F2P. Like I said before, I am an adult, with a family and bills, I like to know what I'm spending every month and do not like/want/need to feel depressed in the game world because my slim luxury budget doesn't allow me to buy all the cool gadgets/gear/mounts -points- to advance my character. Nor do I want to be pitted against someone who has the luxury of a thick wallet allowing them to pay to win. I have to deal with finances enough in my real life, I dont want to have to worry about it in a game world as well, where I'm supposed to be able to escape the stresses of real life, not be slapped in the face with them every time I turn around.
Efaicia
Soon to be;
The Eternally in Love,
Hopelessly Romantic,
and Strong Willed
Ferre!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users