Jake Song's real name is Song Jae-kyeong.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

looking for guild :D

guild clan archeage online youtube

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Asphy

Asphy

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

I think they mentioned it's going to be about the same as other MMOs (though maybe I'm starting to blend them together). However, WoW's monthly fee isn't that outrageous ($15 is about the cost of a movie ticket, and unlike the movie, you get access for 30 days).

Considering we used to pay $60.00 a month for some games, way back in the day....
"The Party and the Krikkit warship looked, in their writhings, a little like two ducks, one of which is trying to make a third duck inside the second duck, while the second duck is trying very hard to explain that it doesn't feel ready for a third duck right now, is uncertain that it would want any putative third duck to be made by this particular first duck anyways, and certainly not while it, the second duck, was busy flying." - Douglas Adams

Wiseman

Wiseman

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Considering we used to pay $60.00 a month for some games, way back in the day....

...A lot of people "still" spend $60 dollars a month on new games....My cousin for example ;).....and he's always complaining about having money problems.. :blink:

"We cannot solve the problems we have created with the same thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

Guess, you are probably referring to single player games, and not as a monthly payment for an MMO.
Yes... but back at that time, we used to play those games for weeks some for months to finish them, then started again on higher difficulty or with another class/character... but now with the new games you are finished in an afternoon, and 60 bucks for an afternoon of playing is just too much.

GangstaSora

GangstaSora

Master of Harpoons

• Members
  • PipPipPip

I think they mentioned it's going to be about the same as other MMOs (though maybe I'm starting to blend them together). However, WoW's monthly fee isn't that outrageous ($15 is about the cost of a movie ticket, and unlike the movie, you get access for 30 days).

True, but after about two months of WoW I felt like I was wasting my money.
ArcheAge seems to have so much more to offer so it would be worth the $15
Or maybe im just a broke little kid :)

Will PK own faction for Mac n' Cheese

Asphy

Asphy

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Guess, you are probably referring to single player games, and not as a monthly payment for an MMO.

Nope. When I was really young (~10) my parents paid $60 bucks a month for some random MMO. I don't remember which one it was. Didn't last very long... Probably played for like three months. lol
"The Party and the Krikkit warship looked, in their writhings, a little like two ducks, one of which is trying to make a third duck inside the second duck, while the second duck is trying very hard to explain that it doesn't feel ready for a third duck right now, is uncertain that it would want any putative third duck to be made by this particular first duck anyways, and certainly not while it, the second duck, was busy flying." - Douglas Adams

Shango

Shango

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Yep, Asphy remembers well. Prior to the relaxing of various NSFNET restrictions, most "MMO's" charged rather high hourly fees to play them.

A couple of examples:

The first commercial MMORPG (although what constitutes "massive" requires qualification when discussing mid-1980s mainframes) was Island of Kesmai designed by Kelton Flinn and John Taylor. Still roguelike, this game became available in 1985 for $12.00 per hour via the CompuServe online service and supported up to one hundred players.[15]

The first graphical MMORPG was Neverwinter Nights by designer Don Daglow and programmer Cathryn Mataga (not to be confused with Neverwinter Nights by BioWare). "Neverwinter Nights" went live on AOL for PC owners in 1991 and ran through 1997. This project was personally championed and green-lighted by AOL President Steve Case. Both Club Caribe and Neverwinter Nights cost $6.00 per hour to play.

~ http://en.wikipedia....er_online_games

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Meridian 59 was one of the first games of its type to offer a flat monthly sub fee as a payment model. UO followed suit and the model has been with us ever since. Back then, such a practice was revolutionary. What a lot of people don't realize is that the monthly sub model emerged mostly because of the spread and emergence of AOL as a means for the masses to get fairly unfettered internet access (at least in the U.S.).

I guess it's a nice response to the pro-F2P people who bitch about paying $15/month:

"Oh, yeah... you think $15 a month is too much to pay? Try $12.... an hour.... back in the 80's!.... and it's just to play on DIAL UP with a shitty UI and sounds that *might* correspond to what is happening on your screen!!!.... Now, quit your complaining, lamer!" ;D

Wiseman

Wiseman

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip

What a lot of people don't realize is that the monthly sub model emerged mostly because of the spread and emergence of AOL as a means for the masses to get fairly unfettered internet access (at least in the U.S.).

I guess it's a nice response to the pro-F2P people who bitch about paying $15/month:

"Oh, yeah... you think $15 a month is too much to pay? Try $12.... an hour.... back in the 80's!.... and it's just to play on DIAL UP with a shitty UI and sounds that *might* correspond to what is happening on your screen!!!.... Now, quit your complaining, lamer!" ;D

Oh yes...The emergence of AOL and that DIAL UP!!!!..I ponder at how some of the youngsters will never know the pain and agony of DIAL UP.... :angry: They get a hitch or minor lag and all of a sudden companies should be destroyed....Few will ever know what some have endured to get where we are now. -_-

"We cannot solve the problems we have created with the same thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

Shango

Shango

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Heh. I read a cool article recently about the Museum of Endangered Sounds that I think you might enjoy, Wiseman.

It features the sounds of a modem for the very reasons you mention:
http://www.theatlant...m-sound/257816/

Oh, and while I'm at it... Lemme blow some young minds real quick like....

*AHEM!*

Are you ready, boys and girls?

You *WILL* be mystified in.....

AND....

Posted Image

BAAAAAM!!!! :P

(Now, get off my lawn, punks...)

Wiseman

Wiseman

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
My friend, you have said it all...That Dial-Up sound almost brought tears to my eyes....Ahhh... the ol' days ^_^

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

Oh yes...The emergence of AOL and that DIAL UP!!!!..I ponder at how some of the youngsters will never know the pain and agony of DIAL UP.... :angry: They get a hitch or minor lag and all of a sudden companies should be destroyed....Few will ever know what some have endured to get where we are now. -_-

On the bright side, todays kids parents wont get a heart attack when they see the phone bill :D.

GangstaSora

GangstaSora

Master of Harpoons

• Members
  • PipPipPip
I'm 13 and I remember using dial up
my dad was kinda cheep

Will PK own faction for Mac n' Cheese

taintedpyro813

taintedpyro813

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

yea but why would i sit here and pay $15 a month just to play an mmo that is maybe just a little better than the competing mmo's. i mean like i dont mind paying a one time fee but (like guild wars 2) but just that constant bill i have to pay on my credit card makes the game alot less enjoyable...
please check out my youtube and subscribe to me, i do lets plays and first impressions :D

want to be featured in a youtube video, or just be in one with me, message me and we can work something out
Posted Image

Renik

Renik

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

maybe just a little better

obviously your sense of quality is null, if you're going to complain about fees, you better look for another game.
I'll gladly pay 15$/m or 13€/m in my case to play AA.

taintedpyro813

taintedpyro813

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

obviously your sense of quality is null, if you're going to complain about fees, you better look for another game.
I'll gladly pay 15$/m or 13€/m in my case to play AA.

look, im not complaining im just stating how i feel on the situation.....yes i will probably pay the monthly fee but i was just stating that it just a little silly, why not just buy the game with a one time fee?
please check out my youtube and subscribe to me, i do lets plays and first impressions :D

want to be featured in a youtube video, or just be in one with me, message me and we can work something out
Posted Image

Renik

Renik

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
As Cavarath always says, B2P MMORPGs don't really exist. MMORPGs are expensive to maintain, companies have to pay employees and servers.

As you said there are a lot of F2P MMORPGs but almost all of them have two things in common, cash shops what means unfair gameand weekly maintenances, not to mention the difference on contents.

Fees not only prevent the weekly maintenances, they also keep away some casual players who will just drop in to test the game and ruin it and ofcourse RMTs.

PS: Lets stop this here, we are a bit off tpoic.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: guild, clan, archeage, online, youtube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users