We need to enhance our security.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

best gaming laptop?

laptop gameing computer build best

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

taintedpyro813

taintedpyro813

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
hello everyone, i am looking to buy a new laptop (desktop recommendations accepted to) to play games on like guild wars 2, archeage, and all in general games that is capable of sustaining these games with ease, please help
please check out my youtube and subscribe to me, i do lets plays and first impressions :D

want to be featured in a youtube video, or just be in one with me, message me and we can work something out
Posted Image

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators
Gaming laptops are big and heavy and hot. Are you 100% sure you want one instead of a desktop?

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators
Best one is the most expensive :P (and NOT a mac)

Btw one does not simply, play games on a laptop B)

For GW2 you dont need a powerful PC, as for AA its still too early to talk about requirements (if you can play the new Crysis and FarCry, then you wont have problems with AA neither).

Zil

Zil

Just Do It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Most of the Asus G series kick some serious ass. We have one at work with the best specs and it was incredibly quiet and cool even when running multi-threaded processes for 3d rendering.

http://rog.asus.com/notebook/

You have to be willing to spend the bucks though.

Posted Image

taintedpyro813

taintedpyro813

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
well i really want a laptop because i go to friends houses alot and i like to travel, also when i leave for college i want to be able to take everything with me....but after a bit of research, i think i might be more open to desktops
please check out my youtube and subscribe to me, i do lets plays and first impressions :D

want to be featured in a youtube video, or just be in one with me, message me and we can work something out
Posted Image

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

well i really want a laptop because i go to friends houses alot and i like to travel, also when i leave for college i want to be able to take everything with me....but after a bit of research, i think i might be more open to desktops

Then go for a laptop, you will need it more then a desktop in this case.
Its just before you said that you need a laptop for playing...

Mauzi

Mauzi

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
The Asus ROG gaming laptop is decent but this one is stronger, I would say it's the strongest laptop on the market at this time:

Toshiba Qosimo X870: http://www.notebookc...70.72154.0.html

If you equip it properly with 16GB RAM, an SSD and a fast harddisk, you better expect to pay a leg and arm though.

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators
Qosimo has a lot of plastic all over it, though, At least the Asus laptops you can get mostly metal. ;)

Zil

Zil

Just Do It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
I tend to stay away from Toshiba except for their satellite line of laptops.

Posted Image

CyclopsSlayer

CyclopsSlayer

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Also note that nVidia has recently released a line of 600M family video chips, might be worth checking out if they aren't priced too dear.

Mauzi

Mauzi

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Qosimo has a lot of plastic all over it, though, At least the Asus laptops you can get mostly metal. ;)

True, but it's sturdy plastic and the content of the box is stronger. Anyhow, these two currently are the top gaming laptops around and I'd say that it's more a matter of taste, the Asus looks decently unspectular while the Toshiba shows "hey, I'm not just 'yet another notebook', okay? ". Since there's nothing comparable on the market at this time, I have both of them on my watchlist since they're announced.

To the one preferring Toshiba's Satellite Pro series notebooks: Those are my personal favorite aswell (within their class), but they have a totally different focus than a gaming laptop. Preferring such over the Qosimo series makes not much sense, it's like preferring a Ferrari over a Van, you just cannot compare those two, it's different worlds of devices. Actually I am writing this on a Satellite Pro that I also bought for "some" gaming, so it has a limited mobile 3D graphics which is good enough for average quality (that is, after upgrading it with RAM & SSD).

P.S.:
My above link was pretty crap and lacked technical specifications, so here's a proper one for both of them:

Toshiba: http://eu.press.tosh...70_2012_13April
Asus: http://rog.asus.com/.../17-inch/g75vw/

Feely

Feely

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
http://www.xoticpc.c...0em-p-4341.html or http://www.xoticpc.c...0em-p-4342.html depending on the size you want 15 or 17". Just make sure you upgrade the video card to the 680m and throw some more RAM in there and that should work fine for quite some time.

Laetitian

Laetitian

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

I tend to stay away from Toshiba except for their satellite line of laptops.

+1.000
Hey, everyone, relax! =o

Best one is the most expensive :P (and NOT a mac)
Btw one does not simply, play games on a laptop B)

Yes, one does.
My new laptop cost me 400€. [500$; 250GBP]
I play Skyrim on High on this thing.
Spoiler

Instructions on how to buy a cheap but gaming-ready laptop:
Spoiler

How to buy a very stable gaming laptop:
Spoiler

I don't really see how people can spend prices in the thousands for any kind of PC. Be it Laptop, or Desktop.

Posted Image

taintedpyro813

taintedpyro813

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
thanks for all the suggestions, they all really helped and i hope to be getting a new build in a couple of months, thanks again :D

Posted Image

Feely

Feely

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

I don't really see how people can spend prices in the thousands for any kind of PC. Be it Laptop, or Desktop.

If people have the money they will spend it that's all. Sure diminishing returns, but e-peen. I usually stay below $2000, but do know of people who won't go above $1000. They of course buy a new laptop twice as frequently as I do so it's an even trade-off (not taking into account inflation ofc).

CyclopsSlayer

CyclopsSlayer

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip

If people have the money they will spend it that's all. Sure diminishing returns, but e-peen. I usually stay below $2000, but do know of people who won't go above $1000. They of course buy a new laptop twice as frequently as I do so it's an even trade-off (not taking into account inflation ofc).

On my desktop I do incremental upgrades, MB/CPU here, RAM there, GPU sometime later... makes the hit at any one time seem more manageable. Probably a complete swap out, not including KybrdMonitor/Mouse, every 2-3 years.
It lets me stay higher up on the epeen curve than a complete job all at once would.

Laetitian

Laetitian

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip

If people have the money they will spend it that's all. Sure diminishing returns, but e-peen.

I started going OffTopic, I guess that was quite the answer I deserved =)

Posted Image

MaidoMaido

MaidoMaido

Community Newbie

• Members
  • Pip

+1.000
Hey, everyone, relax! =o

Yes, one does.
My new laptop cost me 400€. [500$; 250GBP]
I play Skyrim on High on this thing.

Spoiler

Instructions on how to buy a cheap but gaming-ready laptop:
Spoiler

How to buy a very stable gaming laptop:
Spoiler

Looks like a very helpful site! I have also used http://wwww.notebookcheck.net in the past to compare laptop graphics cards.

I can confirm that my laptop with graphics card ranked #47 on the list Laetitian provided (1GB AMD 5830 Mobility), can run Skyrim and Dishonored at 1920x1080 all settings completely maxed except using FXAA instead of MSAA.

It also runs just about every other game I've tried at 1920x1080, at max settings or mostly max, including DXHR, ME3, DA2, Arkham City, Sniper Elite V2, CS:GO, Civ V, Hard Reset, JC2, Borderlands, TF2. The only game I ever tried that was unplayable at 1080p was Witcher 2, and I had to reduce below native resolution to 720p.

As for Mauzi's suggestion of upgrading to 16GB RAM, that is not going to improve your performance for any games. I know because I have upgraded from 8GB to 16GB RAM in my laptop. It is only helpful for working with very large files in Photoshop. For games there is absolutely no difference between 8GB and 16GB RAM. All the games are 32-bit applications, so they cannot use more than around 3GB RAM max. 8GB is more than enough and provides some extra room for your operating system and any applications you may need to run in the background when gaming.

Follow Laetitian's recommendations above, but I would add that if your budget is at least around $800 or so, try to get a laptop with 1920x1080 display, graphics card at least around #50 or higher on that list, (good 2012 cards would be along the lines of Nvidia 650m, 660m, AMD 7730m, 7750m, or better), quad core Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPU, 8GB RAM and if you have more to spend get an SSD.

If you get one of the most extreme, high end mobile graphics cards, they are only available in giant desktop-replacement type laptops (or Alienware laptops that look like an ugly spaceship :P) which in my view are too bulky and defeat the purpose of getting a laptop. There are a lot of mid-tier mobile graphics cards that can run all the recent games at 1080p, and you can often find them in much more portable laptops that are around 1" thick or less.
Posted Image

kii

kii

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Don't buy a laptop if you intend on gaming. If you wanna just fuck around with gaming stick with mobile games. If you're serious you'll get a pc

Shadow of Apophis

[SoA]

http://www.shadowofapophis.com/

Inporylem

Inporylem

Donater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip

Don't buy a laptop if you intend on gaming. If you wanna just fuck around with gaming stick with mobile games. If you're serious you'll get a pc

Read the thread before posting crap like this you are not helping anyone.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: laptop, gameing, computer, build, best

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users