Just so you know, AAS = ArcheAgeSource.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Gliders

glider fly flight mount mounts transport gliders flying transportation travel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators

One word: GLIDERS! These things are awesome. Hop down from some elevated location, spread its wings and soar! You get one of these very early on from a quest. The view from the glider is astounding and the fact you can control it and spawn it any time makes it a great tool for exploration! Beware while running away from a fight with a glider as if you're shot with an arrow the glider will unsummon and you will fall to the ground (and subsequently take a lot of damage or die if you were doing it off a cliff).

Source - GoHa.ru

Controlling the glider:

• Direction of flight by using the [A], [D]
  • Slow down and catch the air stream [s]
  • Accelerate the movement [W].

Player, which hovers on a glider can be attacked, but the player can only use the special items\skills acquired in the shop: kegs of gunpowder, cartridges, boosters...

1.2406567.jpg Pilot Glider
2402470.jpg
Reward from a level 10 quest at Lilyut Meadow, or could be bought.

Flight speed: minimum
Planning: minimum
Turning speed: minimum
Descent speed: minimum
Additional skills: none

2.2399398.jpg Improved Glider
2390182.jpg
Ingredients:
2422971.jpg
An upgraded version of the Pilot Glider via crafting, from a material obtained from a level 23+ quest in Marianopole, or bought/crafted.
Requirement: Level 25

Flight speed: medium
Turning speed: minimum
Descent speed: minimum
Additional skills: The Rise (rises a few meters up)

3.2381990.jpg Reinforced Glider
2361510.jpgIngredients:
2362555.jpg
An upgraded version of the Improved Glider via crafting, from a material obtained from a level 38+ quest in Long Sand, or bought/crafted.
Requirement: Level 40

Turning speed: medium
Descent speed: average
Additional skills: Fury (attack ahead)

4.2365606.jpg Finished Glider
2409657.jpgIngredients:
2367674.jpg
Its an upgraded version of the Reinforced Glider via crafting, the material to craft it only can be acquired via crafting, no quest reward.
Recuirements: Level 40

Flight speed: high
Planning: secondary
Descent speed: average
Additional skills: The Flame (attack on the ground)

5.2403513.jpg Glider of Norwood
2396345.jpgIngredients:
2412730.jpg

Flight speed: slow
Planning: the best
Turning speed: low
Descent speed: the best
Additional skills: Bombing

6.2403513.jpg Glider of the Red Dragon
2383033.jpgIngredients:
2398394.jpg

Flight speed: the best
Planning: high
Descent speed: the best
Additional skills:  Self-destruction 

7.2403513.jpg Glider of the Moonshadow
2419577.jpgIngredients:
2394298.jpg

Planning: high
Turning speed: the best
Descent speed: high
Additional skills: Flying Shadow (stealth)

8.2403513.jpg Glider of the Goddess
2374502.jpgIngredients:
2420925.jpg

Flight speed: high
Planning: the best
Turning speed: high
Descent speed: high
Additional skills: Invulnerable Flight (immune to damage for a short period of time)

9.2412409.jpg Glider of the Kraken
2416505.jpgDropped from the sea raid boss "Kraken".
Ingredients:
Recuirements: Level ?

Flight speed: ?
Planning: ?
Turning speed: ?
Descent speed: ?
Additional skills: ?

Table about the various gliders and their skills from CBT5:
AAENGliders-vi.jpg

Videos demonstrating the process of flight aka free-fall with the gliders

Spoiler

Shango

Shango

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Cool post, LlexX. Definitely makes me wanna fly like an eagle..... ;)
Here's another video to add (if it is indeed legit).

The Wing of Tornado/"Kraken drop" glider:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t44kwsHTZC8

Anybody know for sure if this glider really has infinite lift or if it just glides for a REALLY long time?

*Edit to add another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tEI7Va9q-Y

Fido

Fido

Döner Dönater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
Nice work, LlexX.
I could glide the whole day long, this feature is the best in ArcheAge and i´m proud to say that :D

Let´s Play Archeage - The German Archeage Video Magazine

The German Archeage Knowledge Base v2.0

The German Archeage Crop Report v2.0

"After resigning NCsoft I just chilled at home and my wife did not like it.
One day she said 'go out and play.' So I founded XLGAMES in order to
escape from the grouchiness of my wife and to separate my gamer life
from my wife. And I played World of Warcraft all day at the office"
- Jake Song

GangstaSora

GangstaSora

Master of Harpoons

• Members
  • PipPipPip
First of all thanks Lex for doing this I didn't know that there was four gliders just two
but I have three questions
1. I see that people sometimes on gliders have their legs sticking out behind them and sometimes they are pulled in. I can tell that when they are pulled in the glider goes up(on the kraken boss glider). I'm just not clear what effect it has on the basic glider?
2. Does the kraken boss glider seem a bit overpowered to anyone because It can pretty much never land unless the rider makes it?
3. In this video Amaterasu escapes from jail using some sort of magical wings what are these?

Finally I have an two ideas for gliders

1. A new item that are like claws that you attach to your glider so that you can land on the side of cliffs and tall building so you can be like batman :)
2. a sort of grappling hook that you can throw from your glider to have ships tow you or to board them similar to the harpoon on the special speedboat

Will PK own faction for Mac n' Cheese

Wiseman

Wiseman

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Yes...Great post indeed @Lexx!!! I feel that the gliders were a great idea, giving the ability of air travel a more strategic thought . Looks fun as always!!! :D I hope XLGames comes out with a fully customizable glider that takes your own pictures just like the capes!!! :P

"We cannot solve the problems we have created with the same thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

Amaterasu

Amaterasu

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

3. In this video Amaterasu escapes from jail using some sort of magical wings http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcELOhjE0LM what are these?

That's a "one-time use" item you get from the chest inside that prison tower. It works like the glider, control-wise. It's meant to be used to escape prison, since you can't use your normal glider when you're there (you get a debuff when in prison, can't use any skills except the dance emote, the kick, and that special glider).

GangstaSora

GangstaSora

Master of Harpoons

• Members
  • PipPipPip

That's a "one-time use" item you get from the chest inside that prison tower. It works like the glider, control-wise. It's meant to be used to escape prison, since you can't use your normal glider when you're there (you get a debuff when in prison, can't use any skills except the dance emote, the kick, and that special glider).

Ok thanks it's be bugging me for as while
I posted a comment on the video asking the same thing and some idiot said
"

You can do a quest almost at the start to get it..."

Shango

Shango

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip

Anybody know for sure if this glider really has infinite lift or if it just glides for a REALLY long time?

Anyone? Anyone...?

Galadhir

Galadhir

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
1. Is there a flight time limit (I recall someone saying that the kraken glider was limited to 10 min.--fairly sure it was a Goha.ru forum answer)?
2. If there IS a flight time limit, is there anything to indicate how much time remains while in flight (Aion had one that was indispensable)?

CyclopsSlayer

CyclopsSlayer

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
There was a video a while back. People standing in a city on some stairs. Flying their gliders in a circle around a plaza. One or more of them actually completed the circle above the starting altitude. The comment said something about 'thermals' iirc.

Also there was a goha.ru comment about flight time being when you ran out of altitude, not a fixed timer.

Galadhir

Galadhir

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

There was a video a while back. People standing in a city on some stairs. Flying their gliders in a circle around a plaza. One or more of them actually completed the circle above the starting altitude. The comment said something about 'thermals' iirc.

Also there was a goha.ru comment about flight time being when you ran out of altitude, not a fixed timer.

I like this; I could have sworn, though, that there was a comment specifically about the kraken one (10 min is fixed in my mind for SOME reason).

Shango

Shango

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Thanks for the answers, Galadhir and CyclopsSlayer. I've seen infinite flight time HERE, but the ten minute time limit and stuff about thermals makes sense too. I just wish there was a more definitive answer about this, but I guess it's not terribly important at this point.

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators
Why would someone want to fly for more then 10 min? :blink: (10 min is already many)

Shango

Shango

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Um, where has anybody said they wanted to fly more than 10 minutes? :wacko:

I am simply asking how the glider works because it's good to be curious about many things..... :P

Besides, I have a feeling that some who love gliding (like Fido) would be very interested in flying around for long periods of time. Even if not, it's interesting to know how the item worked in CBT4 and to see if they modify it any during CBT5.

Fido

Fido

Döner Dönater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
The point is that you CAN´T glide all of the time. That´s why it´s so funny and adorable.
Searching for high places, the right technique to stay as long as possible in the air.
Each of the gliders shown above is an update to the one before.

btw the "permaflying" is a buff, you can´t fly forever, even with the kraken glider.
There are some items to keep you in the air though

Let´s Play Archeage - The German Archeage Video Magazine

The German Archeage Knowledge Base v2.0

The German Archeage Crop Report v2.0

"After resigning NCsoft I just chilled at home and my wife did not like it.
One day she said 'go out and play.' So I founded XLGAMES in order to
escape from the grouchiness of my wife and to separate my gamer life
from my wife. And I played World of Warcraft all day at the office"
- Jake Song

Shango

Shango

Donator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Thanks for the clarification, Fido. And I stand corrected about your possible love for infinite gliding xD

I have to admit that one thing I've noticed myself missing in GW2, especially on top of large hills that I have to get to the bottom of, is the ability to glide down them instead of running (I blame Aion). I kind of hated the flight system in Aion, though. It had it's good points, but certain aspects of it made me rage (like messing up your wings and not being able to open them again because of the cooldown, then dropping like a stone to your death, the enemy getting credited with a "kill" and receiving abyss points because you double tapped a button or something like that). Yes, I sucked.

Still, FWIW, I never wanted to fly forever and I would not have enjoyed that being a feature of the game, even if it was for a hard to obtain drop. I thought maybe some might, but it would have been weird to know there were people who could literally fly from one side of the world to another on a glider. That is why I kept asking about the dang Kraken glider. :unsure:

GangstaSora

GangstaSora

Master of Harpoons

• Members
  • PipPipPip
I'm with fido
gliders look much more fun than any of the other flying mounts in other games that I have played
wow flying mounts just seemed so wrong to me. They had no physics from what I could tell and only one speed. It bugged me that you would go in the direction you pointed at a constant speed.

Then with Flyff It was a little better because you had a speedometer and would slow down if you changed your course but still... it was eww

I've never played Aion and I'm thinking about trying it this summer so I don't know if their flight is any better

TaZ

TaZ

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
cant wait to try out some gliders, dont like the traditional flying mounts from other games.
Mounts supposed to be on ground, a glider is more.. ME :)

Thanks for all the youtube videos guys o_O
Posted Image

Tais

Tais

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

cant wait to try out some gliders, dont like the traditional flying mounts from other games.
Mounts supposed to be on ground, a glider is more.. ME :)

Thanks for all the youtube videos guys o_O

Yeah I am with you there Taz.
If I was to have a flying mount, it would have to be epic and not just fly..
A glider will be all sorts of fun and I can see myself crashing many times.
The only other flying 'thing' I would like is an airship.... and then I could have a Firefly thing going on.

Posted Image

Entaro

Entaro

Professional Strawberry Thief

• Super Moderators
Yeah, gliders have a 10 minute max fly time. To the best of my knowledge, nobody managed to gather enough honor points to buy the red glider. I have to agree with Fido, gliders are probably the best sort of mount they could have put into the game.

When you pull back on the glider, your legs are pulled in. Doing this increases the range of the glider, but decreases the speed. In the case of the Kraken glider, pulling back on the glider causes it to increase in altitude.

Thanks to Llexx for all the info and videos! Talk to ArcheAdmin about getting it up on the Wiki.