XLGAMES' first creation was a racing MMO called XL1.
Welcome to ArcheAge Source
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

ArcheAge Release Date Discussed

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

dengar

dengar

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
MMORPG interview here. I'm sure Admin will put up more info, but for those who can't get enough, that's the source link. No NA publisher, Korea's aiming to get it at the end of this year, and NA release will come about a year later. Oh, and there's some stuff about narration, siege warfare, instances, etc too ;P

Safwan_Ramzan

Safwan_Ramzan

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
This seems interesting. I knew the game would release on first/second quarter of 2014. Since I read somewhere over here that next year's E3 will introduce western AA.

Cavarath

Cavarath

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
Not good to hear that they are planning to destroy the game for the western COD idiot. At least they claim to not change its very soul. But what does that mean? Its already extremely casual without anti PK system and death penalties. Combined with instanced dungeons you cannot win a war against an enemy faction.

Besides that, no news.
"Recent results of scientific research have shown that the wish of a person to get a ArcheAge beta key is the bigger the lower the post count." - Veryintelligent Person

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators
To those who didnt read my shout a few days ago.

There have been some rumors on the Russian and Chinese forums, which are the following.
1. the Korean CBT5 to start at 8th august (rumor started on the RU forums like 1 month+ ago)
2. the Chinese CBT5 to start at the start of august (discovered this rumor on CHI forums about 2 weeks ago)
3. the OB in Asia to start in december (both RU and CHI forums started to discuss this about 1 week ago)
4. the OB on the West to start at the end of 2013 or start of 2014 (read about this on the RU forums)

Alto these have been just rumors, but with this new interview by MMORPG.com, its seems to be close to "truth".

One more thing what we all learned, when companies talking about a game release and mentioning 2 dates (late 2013, early 2014) its always the last one the real one, and we can say that in all cases there are delays, so based on this, OB on the west might be starting Q2+ of 2014. Which is just damn far away...

Kriegskind

Kriegskind

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
As long as the NA/EU publisher isn't EA, we might get most of the AA that we see now.

Eligor

Eligor

Has no idea who Miura is...

• Super Moderators
Ok, let's be real.

If the interview is to be believed then XLGAMES has to do more work in 6 months than they have in the past 2 years, yes, 2 years -4 CBTs- or roughly that timeframe.

They are missing:
a. 4 races,
b. ~50% of the map, counting the areas in Land of Origin it might kick it up to 60odd%
c. Faction Mechanics
d. Combat is rather unpolished
e. Engine needs optimizing or people will have serious trouble playing the game
f. Instances and other stuff.

They haven't added A LOT of stuff in their game. Now, if we are to believe what they were talking about wanting customer feedback every step of the way and even though some of these are ready they have never been tested, then they shot themselves in the foot by being hypocrites and utterly mad in having untested content ready and just sitting there after so many years of development. I appreciate wanting to polish stuff but we all know that if you want to polish something you need to expose it to people who haven't had to work on it. Quite a bit of the feedback given from people who played the last test was ignored or brushed off saying "You don't see the whole picture" which is something that should light up some red lights in people's minds.

The past beta tests, and let's admit this to ourselves, have been mostly publicity stunts aiming to attract attention. Hence the really stupid addition of tractors and gimmics instead of meaningful content like the races or areas on the map, as tractors and "sandboxy" features are easier to advertise. XLGAMES, according to the timetable that's been wispered around and their proclamation for a 2012 release will have to cover so much ground that the rest of the content will be a jumbled unfinished mess. This will happen because of what studios and a lot of people familiar with game design and some other jobs call Crunch-time. In the majority of companies this means that people are forced to work as much as 20 hours a day and even more to meet deadlines that are looming over them or they don't get paid.

Needless to say that if you force a programmer, an artist or anyone for this matter to work 20 hours a day his work will be sloppy, a programmer will spend more time creating bugs rather than fixing them and an artist will be a lot more prone to eye stress making his work of a worse quality than it would.

This 2012 release, if the interview is to be believed, and it could be very true! Will force the company to cut corners to make ends meet (pun time?). People should not be amazed if content get's cut out for any reason.
There are a few reasons that XLGAMES may have been forced to release earlier than they thought, the game has been in development for ages and backers may have decided that they want to start seeing some money coming their way, effectively giving XLGAMES an ultimatum telling them to launch the game as soon as possible.

To talk a bit more about other stuff said in the interview, and to point out some things. It seems a lot of the content hasn't even been decided yet and with a possible release end of this year for Korea then things like instances and other stuff that have not been nailed down will end up being rushed, half finished or just totally cut off the game to be added later as a patch. If this is the case, and indeed XLGAMES after years and years of development haven't figured down their game mechanics and core systems then it means they should never have bothered in the first place. I honestly have no clue why they admit that they plan to launch in 6 months and then say that there are stuff they haven't figured out.

Anyhow, it is true that games get delayed but you have to realize that XLGAMES are really just running out of time, even if they did manage to launch end of 2012 they would probably be overshadowed by other MMOs and not to mention that no western publisher would really bother with a half finished game unless they had already paid for the license, a bit like in TERA's case where the game died in Korea but they just had to publish it in the west. And let's not forget the amount of money that went into the game already since the start of development and that they changed engines 2 or 3 times already all in all, whoever is funding them at the moment must have a really deep pocket.

This is speculation, based on an interview that used a translator. Granted there are only so many slights you can do while translating and you wouldn't be in that kind of job if you didn't know both languages more or less fluently but misunderstandings still happen sometimes.

To wrap up, if the game does get release in Korea end of 2012 or even Q1 2013 then it will still be rushed. there's simply not enough time to finish testing stuff unless they leave it till OBT and Release which would be a rather bad move if they want to impress western publishers who seem rather reluctant. But even then, we would not see Archeage in the west for another 1 to 2 years and by then it might have been too late anyway with the Cryengine 2/3 that Archeage uses being surpassed by other engines or Cryengine itself getting updated. All in all, we expected something to mess up eventually, if the interview is true then this is a bit of a huge feth up, if not... Then we all knew we wouldn't be playing Archeage in the West before we probably lost most of our interest in the game anyway (A lot of the older members started off all enthusiastic and hyped but the longer you wait the lower the hype and the more observant you become).

That's about it.
Let's all pretend there's something really important written here...

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators
I'm pretty sure they've had the races already done and the areas designed for a while now, but were holding on to them for polishing and hype.

I could be wrong though.

Eligor

Eligor

• Super Moderators
If they did then they are stupid because that is a lot of potential bugs and glitches to iron out, why keep it when you could have easily just get it over with?

Fido

Fido

Döner Dönater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
I´m going through the rest of your arguments after tomorrows news, Eligor.
Very good summary of your thoughts though.

About potential bugs aso

Not every developer uses "promotional betas".
Maybe this stuff is tested for years (exaggerated) by - let´s say - 1000 alpha/family+friends/internship testers?
Do you think we could get knowledge about that?
One of XLGAMES` strongest abilities is their discretion about such things.

Let´s Play Archeage - The German Archeage Video Magazine

The German Archeage Knowledge Base v2.0

The German Archeage Crop Report v2.0

"After resigning NCsoft I just chilled at home and my wife did not like it.
One day she said 'go out and play.' So I founded XLGAMES in order to
escape from the grouchiness of my wife and to separate my gamer life
from my wife. And I played World of Warcraft all day at the office"
- Jake Song

Eligor

Eligor

• Super Moderators
It is true that there's internal alpha testing on everything but I don't believe you've trully tested something until a completely random person has a go at it after your QA team have tried their best. This ofcourse may not apply for XLGAMES but that would mean that Jake Song probably ain't as experienced as people think, if you work on something you have a harder time finding bugs on it. Say you have a bit of code where you input a number and the program does something, you and anyone who has seen or understands how the code works will always put a number, a random person may use a letter or a symbol. It's a rather crude example but it should pass what I mean to say across, hopefully.

But yes, they could have potentially tested everything and all the beta tests were done to promote the game but that doesn't really absolve them. if they have done the betas for publicity then they have pretty much lied to their fans by saying that they value their feedback because if that was the case, wouldn't they have put stuff out for these fans to test and comment on?

I am taking XLGAMES at face value when I say that they probably haven't finished the content because I prefer a rather "noobish" developer over one who plays with the fan's desires and wishes. That would make them hypocrites and totally discredit them in my mind to the point where I'd just never trust them to really listen to our feedback again unless their wallet took a nice critical hit.

dengar

dengar

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip

If they did then they are stupid because that is a lot of potential bugs and glitches to iron out, why keep it when you could have easily just get it over with?

Because, as you mentioned, a lot of betas are PR stunts. I've been in betas where I got access to the "closed beta" (read: real beta) and open/weekend/pre-orders betas. The betas that are easier to get into usually are more of a focus demo. For example, in SWTOR, I remember the more accessible beta only gave weekend access because, for the most part, people wouldn't be able to hit the closed beta cap and see all the issues at that level of play: instances failing, easily exploited boss, melee tanks not being able to last more than a few seconds, etc. If you talked to people in the opened beta, who really could only play the first instance, the game was ready, period. Long term testers, though, knew there was some massive balancing needed, and because the game was so huge, it was leaked. Most of the serious issues were fixed before launch (aside from with their engine but... yeah....), but long story short, if you're not under NDA, you're playing a public demo.

I'm not saying AA will launch flawlessly. I'm not saying XLGAMES knows exactly what they're doing. What I am saying is that we really don't have the full picture, and to be honest, I'm fine with that. The game's going to Korea first, so they'll essentially be beta-testing the game for the rest of us, much like with TERA. You can say what you want about that game, but it launched with more features than the Koreans originally got and with fewer bugs. No MMO comes out with a perfect release or all the promised features, but we'll be much closer to that by the time we get the game.

LlexX

LlexX

The Gym Rat

• Super Moderators
Lets wait and see what can our boss pull out from XL Games at the Gamescon, and jump at the devs then :D

Eligor

Eligor

• Super Moderators
Indeed, I just put it out there to prepare people, really.

I know that if people get hyped about something and blow it out or proportions in their minds then the result will be a cartload of hate, so I figured I state a few stuff to prepare people just incase XLGAMES just tied a noose around their necks and started walking towards a cliff.

Personally, not really bothered, to be entirely honest, I just don't really find it in me to care after 2 years of following the game, it will come out when it will come out and it will be as good or bad as it will be.

Mawnee

Mawnee

Community Member

• Members
  • PipPip
Unfortunately it is looking like AA will end up like many games that spend too long in development. By the time it comes out the graphics will look dated to us. The fully optimized mechanics and features delaying the game will be old news and no longer exciting.

The goals and feature set they aimed for 6 years ago wont be good enough for a game released in 2015.

Cavarath

Cavarath

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
2015? I dont think it will be released that late. Q2 2014 seems to be realistic.
"Recent results of scientific research have shown that the wish of a person to get a ArcheAge beta key is the bigger the lower the post count." - Veryintelligent Person

Eligor

Eligor

• Super Moderators
The release date for the west will depend on how much content they have and how good the publisher is at getting things translated and tested out.

Roughly one year seems to be what most publishers need though.

ArcheAdmin

ArcheAdmin

Brand Manager Since 2010

• Administrators
Supposedly the partner country of Gamescom 2012 is Korea, lol.

Fido

Fido

Döner Dönater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
Yes, they´ll all be there, Nexon, Neowiz, NHN, NetMarble ...

Let´s Play Archeage - The German Archeage Video Magazine

The German Archeage Knowledge Base v2.0

The German Archeage Crop Report v2.0

"After resigning NCsoft I just chilled at home and my wife did not like it.
One day she said 'go out and play.' So I founded XLGAMES in order to
escape from the grouchiness of my wife and to separate my gamer life
from my wife. And I played World of Warcraft all day at the office"
- Jake Song

Cavarath

Cavarath

Community Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
The only one of them i have heard about is Nexon. And thats only because they bought 30% of NC Soft.

Eligor

Eligor

• Super Moderators
NetMarble made, i believe it was called something like Aika or whatever. I know there's 2 games with similar mechanics and one of em is called Aika anyway, one of the two was made by NetMarble. They also made Ys Online and a couple other -kinda obscure- games.

Neowiz is a company that's not really released anything good lately as far as I know and NHN has made some OK games like SUN and whatnot.

Nexon has made a lot of nice F2P games, the names elude me but you can probably just google em at your own leisure.

And since that's answered, remember the thread topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users